    Would appreciate anyone's views or knowledge on this

    Thanks very much
    Charlie

    Charlie Evans, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Charlie Evans

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    news:wsMYd.1553$UV2.660@trnddc04...
    >I downloaded and installed Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) recently.. I use,
    >my-Etrust antivirus program and run some of the others often. I have
    >noticed that if the computer is on, then around 7:45 PM GiantAntispyware
    >will automatically dial up and go online. After a search it showed up as
    >Part of Microsoft Antispyware. However, I cannot find any place to disable
    >this little irritating gadget to keep it from dialing out. Any one have
    >this problem, Or is GIANTAntispyware some other program and not part of
    >Microsoft Antispyware?
    >
    > Would appreciate anyone's views or knowledge on this
    >
    > Thanks very much
    > Charlie

    The MS AntiSpyware program is Giant AntiSpyware - MS bought it, and is
    relabeling it, and providing it with their name. So yes, that *is* what is
    trying to dialup. The settings of the program are set to update
    automatically, just like most AV programs.

    Click on Options, Settings, Autoupdater. (That was *really* hard, now wasn't
    it?)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at 3:00
    AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not leave the
    computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I am missing
    something here...

    Charlie Evans, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Charlie Evans

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>>I downloaded and installed Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) recently.. I use,
    >>>my-Etrust antivirus program and run some of the others often. I have
    >>>noticed that if the computer is on, then around 7:45 PM GiantAntispyware
    >>>will automatically dial up and go online. After a search it showed up as
    >>>Part of Microsoft Antispyware. However, I cannot find any place to
    >>>disable this little irritating gadget to keep it from dialing out. Any
    >>>one have this problem, Or is GIANTAntispyware some other program and not
    >>>part of Microsoft Antispyware?
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate anyone's views or knowledge on this
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much
    >>> Charlie

    >> The MS AntiSpyware program is Giant AntiSpyware - MS bought it, and is
    >> relabeling it, and providing it with their name. So yes, that *is* what
    >> is trying to dialup. The settings of the program are set to update
    >> automatically, just like most AV programs.
    >>
    >> Click on Options, Settings, Autoupdater. (That was *really* hard, now
    >> wasn't it?)
    >>

    > Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at 3:00
    > AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not leave
    > the computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I am missing
    > something here...

    So try turning it off for a couple of days and see what happens. But be sure
    to manually update it instead...

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Charlie Evans

    Mellowed Guest

    'Counter Spy' by Sun Belt Software also looks like the Microsoft Antispyware
    pgm. Do you know if it is also connected to Giant and Microsoft??

    Mellowed, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Charlie Evans

    tcg Guest

    "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    > Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at 3:00
    > AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not leave

    the
    > computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I am missing
    > something here...
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    > >>I downloaded and installed Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) recently.. I

    use,
    > >>my-Etrust antivirus program and run some of the others often. I have
    > >>noticed that if the computer is on, then around 7:45 PM

    GiantAntispyware
    > >>will automatically dial up and go online. After a search it showed up

    as
    > >>Part of Microsoft Antispyware. However, I cannot find any place to
    > >>disable this little irritating gadget to keep it from dialing out. Any
    > >>one have this problem, Or is GIANTAntispyware some other program and not
    > >>part of Microsoft Antispyware?
    > >>
    > >> Would appreciate anyone's views or knowledge on this
    > >>
    > >> Thanks very much
    > >> Charlie

    > > The MS AntiSpyware program is Giant AntiSpyware - MS bought it, and is
    > > relabeling it, and providing it with their name. So yes, that *is* what

    is
    > > trying to dialup. The settings of the program are set to update
    > > automatically, just like most AV programs.
    > >
    > > Click on Options, Settings, Autoupdater. (That was *really* hard, now
    > > wasn't it?)

    My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has never
    auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a problem
    with the program.

    tcg, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Charlie Evans

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "tcg" <> wrote in message

    > "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    >> Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at 3:00
    >> AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not leave

    > the
    >> computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I am missing
    >> something here...
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message

    > use,

    > GiantAntispyware

    > as

    >> > The MS AntiSpyware program is Giant AntiSpyware - MS bought it, and is
    >> > relabeling it, and providing it with their name. So yes, that *is* what

    > is
    >> > trying to dialup. The settings of the program are set to update
    >> > automatically, just like most AV programs.
    >> >
    >> > Click on Options, Settings, Autoupdater. (That was *really* hard, now
    >> > wasn't it?)
    >> >

    > My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has never
    > auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a problem
    > with the program.

    Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Anyway, I have turned the Auto update OFF. Will manual up date as needed.
    Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it.

    Charlie Evans, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Charlie Evans

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>

    ya think?

    Plato, Mar 13, 2005
  10. Charlie Evans

    Vanguard Guest

    "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    > Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at
    > 3:00 AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not
    > leave the computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I
    > am missing something here...
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>>I downloaded and installed Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) recently.. I
    >>>use, my-Etrust antivirus program and run some of the others often. I
    >>>have noticed that if the computer is on, then around 7:45 PM
    >>>GiantAntispyware will automatically dial up and go online. After a
    >>>search it showed up as Part of Microsoft Antispyware. However, I
    >>>cannot find any place to disable this little irritating gadget to
    >>>keep it from dialing out. Any one have this problem, Or is
    >>>GIANTAntispyware some other program and not part of Microsoft
    >>>Antispyware?
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate anyone's views or knowledge on this
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much
    >>> Charlie

    >> The MS AntiSpyware program is Giant AntiSpyware - MS bought it, and
    >> is relabeling it, and providing it with their name. So yes, that *is*
    >> what is trying to dialup. The settings of the program are set to
    >> update automatically, just like most AV programs.
    >>
    >> Click on Options, Settings, Autoupdater. (That was *really* hard, now
    >> wasn't it?)

    MS AntiSpyware has its own private newsgroup (the link to it is on
    Microsoft's Spyware page). From what I've heard over there, the
    scheduler in MSAS is way off and often it doesn't update when you tell
    it to update. Apparently that is a known problem. Microsoft got stuck
    fixing LOTS of problems that Giant didn't bother to work on.

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  11. Charlie Evans

    Vanguard Guest

    > "tcg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well yes, that is *really* hard. The settings there are to check at
    >>> 3:00
    >>> AM, not at 7:45 PM and yes my clock and date are right. I do not
    >>> leave

    >> the
    >>> computer on overnight. So it cannot dial out then. Maybe I am
    >>> missing
    >>> something here...
    >>>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> use,

    >> GiantAntispyware

    >> as

    >> is

    >> My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has
    >> never
    >> auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a
    >> problem
    >> with the program.
    >>

    > Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>

    It's labelled "beta" for 2 reasons. It just got bought by Microsoft and
    rebranded so it has not gone through hardly any of the qualification
    procedures. It is also not a product geared to run under non-admin
    accounts (personally I hope they make it so it will detect-only under
    limited accounts and only fix under an admin account because you
    certainly don't want any moron assigned an account on that host screwing
    it up). Because supporting admin and limited accounts, fast user
    switching, and a slew of other fixes, it got called a beta version.

    Also, due to a prior contract between Sunbelt Software and Giant Company
    (when Sunbelt bought a code snapshot from Giant), Microsoft has to
    supply signature updates to Sunbelt until July 31 hence the reason the
    beta version of MSAS will expire on that same date. There will be a
    Beta2. Once July 31 rolls around, I wouldn't be surprised to see a
    whole different interface to MSAS along with the release of the
    enterprise version of MSAS.

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  12. Charlie Evans

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    > 'Counter Spy' by Sun Belt Software also looks like the Microsoft
    > Antispyware pgm. Do you know if it is also connected to Giant and
    > Microsoft??

    Sunbelt bought a code snapshot from Giant. Microsoft has to supply
    signature updates to Sunbelt until July 31 due to a prior conditions of
    that sale between Sunbelt and Giant. If Microsoft attempts to provide
    an SDK to MS Antispyware, Sunbelt will sue because they believe they
    were given exclusive rights to develop the SDK in the purchase from
    Giant.

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  13. Charlie Evans

    Mellowed Guest

    Interesting. It appears that MS holds the keys. I'll take off the trail
    version of Sun Belt and re-install the MS version.

    What's 'SDK'?

    Mellowed, Mar 13, 2005
  14. Charlie Evans

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:52:56 GMT, "Mellowed" <>
    wrote:

    >'Counter Spy' by Sun Belt Software also looks like the Microsoft Antispyware
    >pgm. Do you know if it is also connected to Giant and Microsoft??

    Sunbelt Software is Stu Sjouwerman. And that's enough for me to
    *never* run it. Stu's a spammer from way back.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=sunbelt-software.com group:*.sightings

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H547619AA

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q267419AA

    <snip>

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Mar 13, 2005
  15. Charlie Evans

    wrote:

    >'Counter Spy' by Sun Belt Software also looks like the Microsoft Antispyware
    >pgm. Do you know if it is also connected to Giant and Microsoft??

    Oh, and to add to my previous post, yes, they are connected.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L277419AA

    Mara, Mar 13, 2005
  16. Charlie Evans

    tcg Guest

    > > My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has

    never
    > > auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a problem
    > > with the program.
    > >

    > Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>

    I didn't think getting a program to update at a programmed time required a
    great deal of "Beta" research anymore.

    tcg, Mar 13, 2005
  17. Charlie Evans

    Vanguard Guest

    "tcg" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has

    > never
    >> > auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a
    >> > problem
    >> > with the program.
    >> >

    >> Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>
    >>

    > I didn't think getting a program to update at a programmed time
    > required a
    > great deal of "Beta" research anymore.

    So go bitch to Giant. It's THEIR code. Of course, Microsoft could've
    waited until or after July 31 before releasing it at all and after they
    modified the program and it went through all their qualification process
    rather than rebrand it and re-release it under the Microsoft name.

    Which would you rather have? One, Microsoft buys the product, the
    product goes off the market, until a long time later when Microsoft is
    through polishing it up? Or, two, providing the product as-is right
    after buying it and keep it available and also provide it for FREE?

    You could always ask Microsoft for your money back. ;-)

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  18. Charlie Evans

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting. It appears that MS holds the keys. I'll take off the
    > trail version of Sun Belt and re-install the MS version.
    >
    > What's 'SDK'?
    >

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >> "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    >>> 'Counter Spy' by Sun Belt Software also looks like the Microsoft
    >>> Antispyware pgm. Do you know if it is also connected to Giant and
    >>> Microsoft??

    >> Sunbelt bought a code snapshot from Giant. Microsoft has to supply
    >> signature updates to Sunbelt until July 31 due to a prior conditions
    >> of that sale between Sunbelt and Giant. If Microsoft attempts to
    >> provide an SDK to MS Antispyware, Sunbelt will sue because they
    >> believe they were given exclusive rights to develop the SDK in the
    >> purchase from Giant.

    SDK = Software Development Kit. It is the API (Application Programming
    Interface), or set of functions, provided by the software developer to
    let other programmers write code to use that product. Symantec might
    write a security product that would like to access the data within MSAS
    or provide a synergetic utility to work with MSAS. Windows itself has
    its own platform SDK.

    FYI (For Your Information): Many acronyms can be looked up at
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/.

    I can't find anything that details what the contract of sale was between
    Giant and Sunbelt (and I'd probably get lost in the legalese, anyway).
    Sunbelt could strangle Microsoft from developing or releasing an SDK.
    Microsoft could strangle Sunbelt by not allowing any SDK-coded
    applications from accessing internal functions within MSAS as a
    violation of the EULA for that product (i.e., MSAS customers couldn't
    use an add-in to MSAS that was developed using the Sunbelt SDK). So
    they can sue each other or they can broker another deal.

    Vanguard, Mar 13, 2005
  19. "Charlie Evans" <> schreef in bericht

    gerard van der weide, Mar 13, 2005
  20. Charlie Evans

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "tcg" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>> the

    >>> use,
    >>> GiantAntispyware
    >>> as

    >>> is

    >>> My settings are set up to DL updates at 1:00 AM yet the program has
    >>> never
    >>> auto-updated anytime other that 4:56 AM. I just assume there's a problem
    >>> with the program.
    >>>

    >> Well, maybe that's why it's still labeled "Beta" <g>
    >>

    > It's labelled "beta" for 2 reasons. It just got bought by Microsoft and
    > rebranded so it has not gone through hardly any of the qualification
    > procedures. It is also not a product geared to run under non-admin
    > accounts (personally I hope they make it so it will detect-only under
    > limited accounts and only fix under an admin account because you certainly
    > don't want any moron assigned an account on that host screwing it up).
    > Because supporting admin and limited accounts, fast user switching, and a
    > slew of other fixes, it got called a beta version.
    >
    > Also, due to a prior contract between Sunbelt Software and Giant Company
    > (when Sunbelt bought a code snapshot from Giant), Microsoft has to supply
    > signature updates to Sunbelt until July 31 hence the reason the beta
    > version of MSAS will expire on that same date. There will be a Beta2.
    > Once July 31 rolls around, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole
    > different interface to MSAS along with the release of the enterprise
    > version of MSAS.

    I've been hoping for an enterprise version! The idiots (did I say that out
    loud?) at my office don't have a clue about Safe Hex. Even when I try to
    explain it, I get nowhere. If there isn't "profit" in it, they don't want to
    waste their time. *BUT* there is profit in it...it saves the company money
    when I don't have fo *FIX* their stinkin' computers and I can do something
    profitable instead ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005