    reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
    means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
    for home video as well.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
    > aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.
    >
    > A disclaimer before the movie states: "This film has been significantly
    > altered from its original 3D presentation. Many images have been
    > reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
    > means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
    > for home video as well.

    I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was way
    too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges and the
    framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with Cameron suggests
    that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres in 1.78:1...

    THR: How does the HD look blown up to 15-perf/70mm?

    Cameron: It looks phenomenal. To say we're wildly enthusiastic would not be
    overstating it. One has to bear in mind, though, that it's a 16:9 aspect
    ratio, so it doesn't fill the entire height of the Imax screen. It chops
    off a bit at the top and bottom...

    <http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1486697>

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between..."
    --Brian Eno
    Douglas Bailey, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Joshua Zyber

    Tim Pace Guest

    All I Know is I am annoyed that it has not been released in 3d.

    --
    Tim Pace
    Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD.
    Tim Pace, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was

    way
    > too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges and

    the
    > framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with Cameron

    suggests
    > that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres in 1.78:1...

    Thanks, Doug. Answers my question perfectly.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Joshua Zyber

    ThePunisher Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >> I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was
    >> way too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges
    >> and the framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with
    >> Cameron suggests that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres
    >> in 1.78:1...

    > Thanks, Doug. Answers my question perfectly.

    But then again it was 4:3 in my local IMAX

    --
    ThePunisher
    ThePunisher, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Joshua Zyber

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Joshua Zyber, says...
    > Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
    > aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.

    Joshua,

    I worked on Ghosts of the Abyss. Most of it was shot with HD cameras
    (kind of hard to get an IMAX camera in a Remote Operated Vehicle - not
    to mention needing TWO of them for the stereo effect). The entire post
    production process was done in HD video, then the video was uprezzed to
    IMAX resolution, and filmed out letterboxed in the 4:3 IMAX frame.

    The conversion from 3D to 2D is simply using only a single camera's
    viewpoint, rather than the two camera stereo effect. That didn't have an
    impact on the aspect ratio.

    You might be interested to know that James Cameron is planning on
    shooting an entire dramatic 3D feature in the same process, using HD
    cameras in stereo.

    -Mark
    Mark Spatny, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Joshua Zyber

    Tim Pace Guest

    Yes I can play NTSCT and thanks for the link I wanted a LCD shutter version
    this sounds like an anaglyph version as glasses are supplied. I wonder if
    the switching version is on the DVD ?

    Tim Pace, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > I worked on Ghosts of the Abyss. Most of it was shot with HD cameras
    > (kind of hard to get an IMAX camera in a Remote Operated Vehicle - not
    > to mention needing TWO of them for the stereo effect). The entire post
    > production process was done in HD video, then the video was uprezzed

    > IMAX resolution, and filmed out letterboxed in the 4:3 IMAX frame.
    >
    > The conversion from 3D to 2D is simply using only a single camera's
    > viewpoint, rather than the two camera stereo effect. That didn't have

    an
    > impact on the aspect ratio.

    Thanks, Mark, very enlightening.

    I was aware that switching from 3D to 2D wouldn't affect the aspect
    ratio itself. However, I was wondering if in addition to that change
    Cameron had reframed the shots for home video. He's a big fan of doing
    that for the pan&scan transfers of his Super35 movies, and generally
    Imax features are composed in a way that works on a super-large screen
    but not on home video. I guess that isn't the case here, though.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Joshua Zyber

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message news:<d8thc.5127$>...
    > Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
    > aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.
    >
    > A disclaimer before the movie states: "This film has been significantly
    > altered from its original 3D presentation. Many images have been
    > reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
    > means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
    > for home video as well.

    I saw the Imax/3D version, and was too busy watching the action to
    notice the aspect ratio, I'm afraid. I'm really glad I got a chance
    to see it in that format and took it. There were a couple of times
    where I really felt an urge to do that cliche
    reach-out-and-try-to-touch-the-image thing. Also, having gotten my
    open water SCUBA certification a couple of years ago made losing
    myself in this movie that much easier, I think.

    I am admittedly disappointed that they didn't try ANY sort of 3D for
    the DVD release. But I'm confident that any re-framing/alterations to
    the picture won't adversely affect the story being told. Since it's
    two disks for a shorter-than-most-features film, I'm really looking
    forward to all the extras that must be available. With any luck, a
    good 5.1 sound mix will help to remind me of the scope of my initial
    viewing.

    Dennis
    Dennis Kuhn, Apr 22, 2004
  11. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Dennis Kuhn" <> wrote in message
    > I am admittedly disappointed that they didn't try ANY sort of 3D for
    > the DVD release. But I'm confident that any re-framing/alterations to
    > the picture won't adversely affect the story being told. Since it's
    > two disks for a shorter-than-most-features film, I'm really looking
    > forward to all the extras that must be available. With any luck, a
    > good 5.1 sound mix will help to remind me of the scope of my initial
    > viewing.

    There are precisely 2 extras on the DVD, a 32-minute making-of piece
    that's pretty good, and a 7-minute multi-angle demonstration that is
    more fun than I would have expected.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 23, 2004
  12. Joshua Zyber

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message news:<jsZhc.18918$>...
    > "Dennis Kuhn" <> wrote in message
    > > I am admittedly disappointed that they didn't try ANY sort of 3D for
    > > the DVD release. But I'm confident that any re-framing/alterations to
    > > the picture won't adversely affect the story being told. Since it's
    > > two disks for a shorter-than-most-features film, I'm really looking
    > > forward to all the extras that must be available. With any luck, a
    > > good 5.1 sound mix will help to remind me of the scope of my initial
    > > viewing.

    > There are precisely 2 extras on the DVD, a 32-minute making-of piece
    > that's pretty good, and a 7-minute multi-angle demonstration that is
    > more fun than I would have expected.

    Gads... the original film was about an hour and a half, wasn't it?
    How did this become a two-disc set? Really high bitrate video? I
    take it there isn't even a commentary track, if there are only two
    extras and they're both videos.

    When Escape From New York was recently re-released as a two-disc set,
    the second disc was really light on content as well, and if hadn't
    been such a low price I would've felt a little ripped off. Hope the
    Best Buy sale price makes it seem more agreeable next Tuesday.

    Dennis
    Dennis Kuhn, Apr 23, 2004
  13. Joshua Zyber

    > > There are precisely 2 extras on the DVD, a 32-minute making-of piece
    > > that's pretty good, and a 7-minute multi-angle demonstration that is
    > > more fun than I would have expected.

    > Gads... the original film was about an hour and a half, wasn't it?

    The theatrical cut is just over an hour. The extended cut (on the same
    disc) is 92 minutes.

    > How did this become a two-disc set? Really high bitrate video? I
    > take it there isn't even a commentary track, if there are only two
    > extras and they're both videos.
    >
    > When Escape From New York was recently re-released as a two-disc set,
    > the second disc was really light on content as well, and if hadn't
    > been such a low price I would've felt a little ripped off. Hope the
    > Best Buy sale price makes it seem more agreeable next Tuesday.

    Since putting the extras on a second disc rather than cramming them on
    the same disc as the movie doesn't affect the price-point ($29.99 MSRP
    is standard for Buena Vista), I don't see what the difference is.

    All things considered, I'd rather save bit space for the movie by itself
    and separate the extras on their own disc.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 25, 2004