    honest she may be allowing stuff through on Zonealarm that
    shouldn't and could be opening odd emails ...

    What could be going on here? Thanks.
    Jim, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Jim

    trout Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > A friend has just called me up to say that when she switched
    > off her light last night the computer started up (!) and she
    > had a message saying "Your computer is being used by other
    > people and you are now connected." Well, spooky!
    >
    > I installed Norton, ZoneAlarm and Spybot on her PC a few
    > weeks ago and updated XP with all the latest patches. To be
    > honest she may be allowing stuff through on Zonealarm that
    > shouldn't and could be opening odd emails ...
    >
    > What could be going on here? Thanks.

    Sounds like Windows Messenger Service. Not too spooky.
    Here's a pasted reply of °Mike°'s:

    [paste]

    Your firewall should be configured to block ports 137-139 (NETBIOS),
    which is used by the messenger service..

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    [end paste]
    --
    "That'd be *my* guess."
    trout, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote:

    > Sounds like Windows Messenger Service. Not too spooky.
    >Here's a pasted reply of °Mike°'s:

    Okay thanks. I was a little surprised at the machine
    starting up by itself... did that really happen? Anyway,
    I'll check ZA and try disabling Messenger...

    Jim
    Jim, Sep 19, 2003