    to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    again

    Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Jax, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Jax

    SteveM Guest

    Jax <> wrote in news:3ff9ee9b$0$13348$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >
    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?
    >
    > I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    > to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    > again
    >
    > Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Repair Windows XP. Looks like it doesn't like the drive for some reason.

    Boot off the XP CD
    When it asks if you want to repair the current installation say NO.
    Choose the install option.

    It will come up and say you have a current installation would you like to
    repair it (yes, a second time). Say YES.

    It will do a reinstall over the top of your existing installation (you
    will need your product key)

    You may need to reload video and network etc drivers after it has
    finished but should cure your problem.
    No data, apps or settings are lost doing it this way.

    This method is kinda handy when changing major hardware components which
    break XP from loading (IE Motherboards)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Jax

    K & S Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:03:22 GMT, SteveM
    <> wrote:

    >Jax <> wrote in news:3ff9ee9b$0$13348$cc9e4d1f@news-
    >text.dial.pipex.com:
    >
    >> I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >>
    >> The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    >> primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    >> whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >>
    >> I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    >> HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?
    >>
    >> I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    >> to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    >> again
    >>
    >> Anyonw have any other ideas?
    >>

    >Repair Windows XP. Looks like it doesn't like the drive for some reason.
    >
    >Boot off the XP CD
    >When it asks if you want to repair the current installation say NO.
    >Choose the install option.
    >
    >It will come up and say you have a current installation would you like to
    >repair it (yes, a second time). Say YES.
    >
    >It will do a reinstall over the top of your existing installation (you
    >will need your product key)
    >
    >You may need to reload video and network etc drivers after it has
    >finished but should cure your problem.
    >No data, apps or settings are lost doing it this way.

    Plus all updates are lost..

    K & S, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Jax

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:07:48 +0000, Jax wrote:

    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.

    It'll be whinging about the different partition sizes I think.

    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?
    >
    > I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    > to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    > again

    Partition Magic 8 does not like dealing with XP's ntfs, and tends to ****
    things up completely in my experience.

    Also, I don't think Ghost knows anything about ntfs, and so I cannot see
    how it could resize to a smaller partition, or at least properly.

    > Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Just reinstall XP to the new drive along with your apps. Pain in the arse
    but a good excuse to have a clean out at the same time. Transfer your old
    data files over the normal way.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "I do not believe the expenditure of $2.50 for a book entitles the
    purchaser to the personal friendship of the author." -- Evelyn Waugh

    Note: All comments are copyright 6/01/2004 2:43:11 p.m., and are opinion
    only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my
    reccollection'.

    Brendan, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Jax

    ac Guest

    In article <3ff9ee9b$0$13348$>,
    l says...
    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >
    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?
    >
    > I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    > to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    > again
    >
    > Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Is it the partition NTFS?
    If it is, then shrinking data in size seemed to cause problems with
    Win2K, Ghost 2003 and NTFS for me. Going in the other direction doesn't
    seem to give any problems.

    You will probably have to partition that 80 GB drive down to 40 GB and
    do a partition to image clone. I've read in some forums that people
    have had success with this method.

    Also try a later version of Ghost (through LiveUpdate if necessary) if
    you have an old version.

    You need to use Sysprep to handle different hardware like IDE
    controllers but this obviously doesn't apply to your case.

    ac, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Jax

    E. Guest

    Jax wrote:

    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.

    If the 80GB is still bootable, trying booting with the 40GB on another
    channel so XP detects it, and remove any AV progs.
    Also set (somewhere under system properties) "automatically reboot" to
    off - that way you should get an error message to chase.

    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >
    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?

    I have done exactly what you are describing today - no probs at all. I'd
    recommend at least ghost 2002 or ghostpe 2002. Also try using the -ntil
    command line switch.

    > I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    > to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    > again
    >
    > Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Are the drives set to master, or cable select? LBA enabled for both
    channels etc..
    E.

    E., Jan 6, 2004
  7. Jax

    Jax Guest

    Jax wrote:
    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >
    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?
    >
    > I had one idea I havnt tried yet - I think i might use partition magic
    > to shrink the 80GB's partition down to say 30GB, and then try the ghost
    > again
    >
    > Anyonw have any other ideas?

    Weird, I ghosted it again and it didnt work - though this time that was
    cause of the monitor coldnt display anything?! - once i fixed that the
    ghost onto the smaller drive worked fine - wohoo!

    Jax, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Jax

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3ff9ee9b$0$13348$>,
    l says...
    > I needed to ghost a dying 80GB HDD to a 40GB one - OS is XP Pro.
    >
    > The total data on the 80GB is not much, 12ish I think.
    >
    > Anyway, I did the ghost, went fine. Put the new drive in as
    > primary/master and set about booting, problem is XP blue screened on me
    > whilst booting (message goes away too fast to read) and I'm stuck.
    >
    > I realise XP cant handle changes like IDE controllers, but ghosting a
    > HDD to another shouldnt make it blue screen!?

    How does XP hardware lock to a particular machine? Does it include the
    hard drive ID?

    Mainlander, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Jax

    Jax Guest

    > How does XP hardware lock to a particular machine? Does it include the
    > hard drive ID?

    I didnt think so - I know for sure IDE controllers matter, so a change
    in Mobo = problems.

    I dont know why it didnt work the first time.

    Jax, Jan 7, 2004