    I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and swap
    it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap it in?
    What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like we're talking SCSI here. The
    problems ghosting one IDE drive to another pale in comparison to swapping
    SCSI drives where drivers just to see the drive are required before the OS
    even loads !

    First off, ghosting or imaging means the destination partition has to be
    EXACTLY the same size, byte for byte. Secondly, you will have to load
    drivers during a repair F6 install, and then again in the OS.

    It's time for a new install !

    New drive + fresh install = happy customer !

    Norman Brooks, Oct 19, 2005

  3. It's not that bad, really. Since the SCSI drive is downstream of any
    controller, he's not changing that. Actually, it should JFW.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Dennis -- you'll want imaging software that will run from a CD/DVD boot, and
    that will see your existing SCSI drives, since that's where I assume you'll
    be putting the image. I've used Acronis with good success and it has SCSI
    support and drive cloning support. Easiest might be simple drive cloning.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Acronis. I was assuming that I could
    hook up the new drive - clone it in Windows - swap it in, giving it the same
    SCSI ID as the old one, and go from there. If I can get everything in XP64
    happy to the point that I don't need XP Pro anymore, then it won't matter,
    because it's only annoying when it's working as the system disk. Otherwise
    it only chatters when I'm writing to it. A new install wouldn't be the end
    of the world, but I'd still like to avoid it. BTW the Fujitsu MAS3735NP 73GB
    15K Ultra320 drive is the sweetest, fastest *quietest* drive I've ever had.
    If it didn't make the IBM look bad I wouldn't be looking to replace it.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Not correct: Norton GHOST (formerly Drive Image from PowerQuest)
    can restore an image file to a partition that is larger than the
    one from which the image was made. There's a setting during
    that RESTORE step which makes that possible.

    Sincerely yours,
    /s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
    Webmaster, Supreme Law Library

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VwcmVtZUxhdw==?=, Oct 19, 2005
  7. I took a look at Acronis True Image v.9 over at Newegg. It seems like it
    might do what I need, and the price is right...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 19, 2005
  8. good. Let me know. I've got 8.0 and been thinking about upgrading...

    But I finally gave up on SCSI, as much as I love it. Just too expensive
    these days to get the size of disk one needs. Sigh. And SATA is almost OK.
    (I keep trying to convince myself it's "almost as good as SCSI" -- without
    much success.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2005
  9. I've got to get that new disk first, but I'll let you know.
    The only reason I went all SCSI is because my job as production manager at
    my newspaper lets me buy stuff with the purpose of getting the best
    performance. It took me months of trolling Ebay to come up with 2 of the
    drives (I pulled my noisy IBM from a file server) Cost about $275 for the 2
    drives (92 gigs total). Certainly not cheap, but I think they're worth it...
    not for the sustained transfer rate but for that 3.3ms access. Love it. Of
    course I do... the company's paying for it...;-) I'll plop a big SATA in
    there for storage one of these days...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > It's not that bad, really. Since the SCSI drive is downstream of any
    > controller, he's not changing that. Actually, it should JFW.

    Joke For Women? LOL

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Well on the advice of Pete, I opted for Acronis Migrate Easy v7. I used the
    15 day trial to clone my IBM scsi drive to a Fujitsu of equal size. Took
    about 15 minutes. Totally painless... except for the hassle of unplugging
    the bulky rounded scsi cables so I could get into the drive cage to swap
    them. After that I thought for a coupla hours that I'd cloned a corrupted
    disk, when XP Pro kept crashing. I finally used some sense and disabled AVG
    by renaming its files in the System32 folder while in XP64 bit. Now
    everything is running great. I don't know why the latest priority update
    from AVG caused the conflict. I can highly recommend Migrate Easy for this
    task.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 26, 2005
  12. Yes, I just used Acronis Drive Image 8 to swap a couple of good SATA drives
    out of what used to be my main workstation (32bit) and replaced them with a
    couple of older (but equal size) PATA drives. The two SATA's are going into
    the server where I need the room. Did a "disk clone" of each of them and it
    all came back up nice as could be.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64