    Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
    to another using the serial port?

    im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.
    Frosty, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Frosty

    philo Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
    > to another using the serial port?
    >
    > im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

    no serial support
    means *no* serial support...
    even if it was possible...
    it would take several days to clone a drive
    philo, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Frosty

    M Guest

    I have an ancient version of Laplink Pro that has this capability, I can't
    find a version number but the installation files are all dated November
    2000. My advice is to forget the serial port, unless your PC is a Windows
    3.1 of DOS machine the backup will takes days! A pair of Ethernet cards
    will be money well spent!

    M, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Frosty wrote:
    > Is there any known software out there that can ghost an hd from one comp
    > to another using the serial port?
    >
    > im looking at Norton Ghost 03 and it supports everything but serial.

    You might be able to do it with packet drivers. ISTR a shareware LAN
    product that allowed complete networks to be built using only serial
    ports. You might be able to build some DOS boot disks with "network"
    support, using packet drivers - although whether Ghost would use the
    mapped drive is another matter.

    But those were the days when a 5Meg hard disk served a complete college..

    I would suggest using a USB cable and a USB2<>IDE adapter - usually you
    don't even have to remove the drive being backed up - just shove the IDE
    connector on. But I appreciate that there may be reasons why you can't
    do the obvious.

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >no serial support
    >means *no* serial support...
    >even if it was possible...
    >it would take several days to clone a drive

    I cringe at that though.

    Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
    near 13 hours.

    Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....
    Evan Platt, Jan 14, 2006
  6. Frosty

    doS Guest

    No such thing as ghost 03...

    doS, Jan 14, 2006
  7. Frosty

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:37:50 -0500, "doS" <> wrote:

    >No such thing as ghost 03...

    Read "2003"

    Spuds, Jan 14, 2006
  8. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    >
    > >no serial support
    > >means *no* serial support...
    > >even if it was possible...
    > >it would take several days to clone a drive

    > I cringe at that though.
    >
    > Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
    > near 13 hours.
    >
    > Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

    Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
    it's only a 6 gig drive too.

    Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.

    Or whatever they call it.
    Frosty, Jan 14, 2006
  9. Frosty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Frosty spewed forth:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:01 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> no serial support
    >>> means *no* serial support...
    >>> even if it was possible...
    >>> it would take several days to clone a drive

    >> I cringe at that though.
    >>
    >> Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
    >> near 13 hours.
    >>
    >> Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

    > Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
    > it's only a 6 gig drive too.
    >
    > Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.
    >
    > Or whatever they call it.

    than most USB data transfer cables, and it will be MUCH faster. If your
    laptop is old enough it doesn't have a NIC, it probably has USB 1.x not 2.0,
    and will be not slow, but *dreadfully* slow.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2006
  10. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Fri, 13 Jan 2006
    23:13:28 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Frosty
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    wrote:

    >> >no serial support
    >> >means *no* serial support...
    >> >even if it was possible...
    >> >it would take several days to clone a drive

    >> I cringe at that though.
    >>
    >> Just cloned a 80 GB (72 gigs of data) drive via USB 2.0. Took damn
    >> near 13 hours.
    >>
    >> Now let's calculate that at serial bus speeds.....

    >Well it's a laptop with no ethernet port else this would be easy. And
    >it's only a 6 gig drive too.
    >
    >Looks like a trip to the USB crossover cable store.
    >
    >Or whatever they call it.

    Unique name there bub...
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 15, 2006