    P4SC-E mobo, 20GB Western Digital as EIDE primary master and 2 ATAPIs on
    secondary EIDE.

    Grateful to y'all for any suggestions.

    sAxmAn, Apr 17, 2004

  2. sAxmAn

    Kenny Guest

    Maybe the front USB ports are connected to the wrong pins or even the wrong
    header, try disconnecting them completely and see what happens.

    --

    Kenny

    "sAxmAn" <> wrote in message
    > Bought a second hand PC for a friend the other day and it's got a problerm

    > haven't seen before. On boot, the eject hardware icon appears in the tray
    > and the machine thinks it has a USB mass storage device attached. This
    > continues even after formatting the HDD and clearing the CMOS. There are

    no
    > USB devices attached at all, although the USB 2 pinheaders off the mobo

    are

    Kenny, Apr 17, 2004

  3. sAxmAn

    sAxmAn Guest

    Thanks for that, but I think I've got to the bottom of it. The machine has
    a smart card reader above the front audio out sockets, which I missed
    completely on first inspection. Duh!!!

    sAxmAn, Apr 24, 2004