    either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    bootable partition?

    blackbat /\x/\
    blackbat, Jun 10, 2004

  2. blackbat

    mark mandel Guest

    "blackbat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Win 98SE PC which my kids use for games.
    > It has a 40 GB hdd partitioned into a C & D drive.
    > I've always kept a good Ghost image which I reload from time to time.
    >
    > I'd now like to create a dual boot setup, both bootable partitions on
    > the C drive - original Win98SE with all the kids game saves untouched
    > and a new bootable Win XP partition for more serious stuff. I'll use
    > Partion Magic.
    >

    > My question is - can I take a ghost image of each partition so if
    > either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    > bootable partition?
    >

    > blackbat /\x/\

    Yes, you can. However my experience with XP is that the restoration via the
    Ghost image ALSO requires a repair/install in order to be made bootable.

    Mark Mandell
    mark mandel, Jun 11, 2004

  3. blackbat

    Robert Baer Guest

    blackbat wrote:

    > I have a Win 98SE PC which my kids use for games.
    > It has a 40 GB hdd partitioned into a C & D drive.
    > I've always kept a good Ghost image which I reload from time to time.
    >
    > I'd now like to create a dual boot setup, both bootable partitions on
    > the C drive - original Win98SE with all the kids game saves untouched
    > and a new bootable Win XP partition for more serious stuff. I'll use
    > Partion Magic.
    >
    > My question is - can I take a ghost image of each partition so if
    > either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    > bootable partition?
    >
    > blackbat /\x/\

    Why bother?
    I always make an exact copy of my (internal) drive to a plug-in HD
    (use one of those removable HD kits) of the same size.
    And i have a dual boot system like you aer contemplating.
    I started with three partitions: one primary DOS, one extended DOS,
    and one Win98SE.
    Used PartitionMagic to make/create the fourth partition for NTSF, then
    installed Win2K there, and then had a dual bot system (selectable
    Win98Se or Win2K).
    WinXp should do the same nice thing for you.
    By making an exact copy of the *whole* drive (to another), thenwhen
    the HD goes bad, it takes me under 2 minutes to toss the bad one and put
    in the backup as the new master (internal) drive.
    Then i buy a replacement and continue the copy process.
    In the past 10 years, this has saved the day 3 times so far, from
    dying drives.
    And only once from virii.
    Robert Baer, Jun 11, 2004
  4. blackbat

    Robert Baer Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    > "blackbat" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Win 98SE PC which my kids use for games.
    > > It has a 40 GB hdd partitioned into a C & D drive.
    > > I've always kept a good Ghost image which I reload from time to time.
    > >
    > > I'd now like to create a dual boot setup, both bootable partitions on
    > > the C drive - original Win98SE with all the kids game saves untouched
    > > and a new bootable Win XP partition for more serious stuff. I'll use
    > > Partion Magic.
    > >

    > > My question is - can I take a ghost image of each partition so if
    > > either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    > > bootable partition?
    > >

    > > blackbat /\x/\

    > Yes, you can. However my experience with XP is that the restoration via the
    > Ghost image ALSO requires a repair/install in order to be made bootable.
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    With Win2K and WinSE, after booting on the copy, i must *FIRST* boot
    to WinSE and answer "Y" to the BIOS virus detector (ie: ignore virus).
    After that, all is OK.
    If i use DriveCopy, i never have that problem; instead, i hace to
    un-hide two of my four partitions.
    Seems that Norton must put bugs into all of their (windoz) software -
    maybe to keep up with the Gateses?
    Robert Baer, Jun 11, 2004
  5. blackbat

    blackbat Guest

    > With Win2K and WinSE, after booting on the copy, i must *FIRST* boot
    >to WinSE and answer "Y" to the BIOS virus detector (ie: ignore virus).

    Where is this prompt??

    blackbat /\x/\
    blackbat, Jun 12, 2004
  6. blackbat

    blackbat Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I love Ghost images - can't understand why more
    people don't use 'em.

    Don't really wanna copy the whole drive as the kids have soooo many
    games on it - it's just a mess. I have a good 98SE image before any
    games are loaded. I want to stay with 98SE as some games are a bit old
    and wouldn't work on XP.

    Mainly need a ghost image of the new XP partition once I've set up all
    the broadband / MS Office etc etc etc.

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:33:42 GMT, Robert Baer
    <> wrote:

    >blackbat wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a Win 98SE PC which my kids use for games.
    >> It has a 40 GB hdd partitioned into a C & D drive.
    >> I've always kept a good Ghost image which I reload from time to time.
    >>
    >> I'd now like to create a dual boot setup, both bootable partitions on
    >> the C drive - original Win98SE with all the kids game saves untouched
    >> and a new bootable Win XP partition for more serious stuff. I'll use
    >> Partion Magic.
    >>
    >> My question is - can I take a ghost image of each partition so if
    >> either partition gets a virus or some problem I can restore just one
    >> bootable partition?
    >>
    >> blackbat /\x/\

    > Why bother?
    > I always make an exact copy of my (internal) drive to a plug-in HD
    >(use one of those removable HD kits) of the same size.
    > And i have a dual boot system like you aer contemplating.
    > I started with three partitions: one primary DOS, one extended DOS,
    >and one Win98SE.
    > Used PartitionMagic to make/create the fourth partition for NTSF, then
    >installed Win2K there, and then had a dual bot system (selectable
    >Win98Se or Win2K).
    > WinXp should do the same nice thing for you.
    > By making an exact copy of the *whole* drive (to another), thenwhen
    >the HD goes bad, it takes me under 2 minutes to toss the bad one and put
    >in the backup as the new master (internal) drive.
    > Then i buy a replacement and continue the copy process.
    > In the past 10 years, this has saved the day 3 times so far, from
    >dying drives.
    > And only once from virii.

    blackbat /\x/\
    blackbat, Jun 12, 2004