    have Ghost2003 and am wondering if I can image the drive and still
    boot the image after using it for recovery. IT frineds of mine told me
    it wouldn't work any suggestions? Any relevant advice is appreciated.

    HardLuckKid, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Hi:
    Ghost2003 is rather old for backing up newer operating systems.
    Here http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm mentions Windows XP
    32-bit as the newest OS it works with.
    Your Acer laptop (http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm) is
    bundled with Vista.
    What is exactly the "XP Pro" your laptop has?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 15, 2007

  3. HardLuckKid

    HardLuckKid Guest

    On Sep 14, 8:26 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    > Ghost2003 is rather old for backing up newer operating systems.
    > Herehttp://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htmmentions Windows XP
    > 32-bit as the newest OS it works with.
    > Your Acer laptop (http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm) is
    > bundled with Vista.
    > What is exactly the "XP Pro" your laptop has?
    > Carlos
    >

    > "HardLuckKid" wrote:
    > > I am a novice trying to image a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with XP Pro. I
    > > have Ghost2003 and am wondering if I can image the drive and still
    > > boot the image after using it for recovery. IT frineds of mine told me
    > > it wouldn't work any suggestions? Any relevant advice is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

    Her laptop came with Vista Premium but I had to Put XP Pro on it as
    per NJIT requirements - she has XP Pro Ver 2002 with SP2

    HardLuckKid, Sep 16, 2007
  4. HardLuckKid

    John Barnes Guest

    If you are using XP Pro, you are in the wrong newsgroup. That said, I have
    used Ghost2003 on several occasions to image SATA drives. It makes no
    difference. Ghost has no problem with that version of NTFS which is the
    main consideration. It does not work with Vista due to the different NTFS.

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2007
  5. I have a similar model, and while it's a 64-bit machine they don't supply a
    64-bit OS.

    I think Ghost should be OK, I use Powerquest Drive Image 5 which I find
    slightly more user-friendly.

    One thing you may find is that since these utilities run on DOS, and this OS
    doesn't have the AMD power-control driver (though I believe it can be added)
    therefore you may find it gets rather hot as the processor is running
    full-belt all the time. Just watch the temperature, and don't leave it
    running DOS for hours. An ammeter test shows that the machine draws ~50W in
    this condition, as opposed to <30W normally.

    Oh, and you need a second partition to do the backup to, which is a problem
    if the disk is filled with one huge partition. HST, a lot of Acers with come
    with two partitions, in which case you're laughing. Otherwise you might be
    able to use a USB disk, though I've not tried that route. (To use a USB disk
    in DOS it must be connected before boot.)

    =?Utf-8?B?QW50ZWF1cw==?=, Sep 16, 2007