"ghost" files in my Music Folder??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alan, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    While defragging my system (XP Professional) last night, I noticed something
    odd: music file titles were flitting by at the bottom of the screen, and
    they were showing ".wav" as the extension. Being pretty sure that I didn't
    have any files in .wav format, I opened up the My Music folder and, sure
    enough, the titles I'd seen go by were listed as .mp3.

    It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
    Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles were indeed on
    my computer --- they were in the program files of Burn4Free cd-burning
    program, and they happened to be files I'd burned to .cda format. As the
    ..wav versions were taking up quite a bit of room (they were roughly 10 times
    the size of the mp3 version), I deleted them. My "Free Space" jumped from
    58% to 66%. (One would think the Burn4Free folks might mention this
    phenomenon, since available storage space can be eaten up quite quickly)

    Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
    mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:

    Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
    option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same file,
    both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as being
    in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media file
    extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other file types
    in other folders . . .
    What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
    Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
    P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY copy
    listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a file
    search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
    back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
    folder . . .
    P.P.S. My apologies in advance to those who think I should have googled to
    find the answer on my own without bothering the newsgroup --- I did make an
    attempt, but apparently my research skills are just not up to it. Thanks
    for your attention . . .
    --
    Alan

    Alan, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Alan wrote:

    Ah, these intermediate wav files should be deleted after a audiocd burn,
    indeed ...

    > Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
    > mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:
    >
    > Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
    > option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same
    > file,
    > both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as
    > being in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media
    > file extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other
    > file types in other folders . . .
    > What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
    > Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
    > P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY
    > copy listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a file
    > search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
    > back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
    > folder . . .

    The "My Mussic" folder is just a link. If you search on the whole workplace,
    it will find the regular path as well as the link :)

    Walter Mautner, Jan 1, 2007

  3. Alan

    Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote:

    >It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
    >Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles

    You need to change the way Explorer views files.

    Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E), under TOOLS, open Folder Options,
    then the View Tab. Change these settings:

    Select Display the contents of system folders
    Select Show hidden files and folders
    UnSelect Hide Extensions for known file types
    Unselect Hide Protected operating system files (ignore popup)
    --
    science told: hands off gay sheep
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2524408,00.html

    , Jan 1, 2007
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:

    > Ah, these intermediate wav files should be deleted after a audiocd burn,
    > indeed ...
    >
    >> Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
    >> mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:
    >>
    >> Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
    >> option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same
    >> file,
    >> both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as
    >> being in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media
    >> file extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other
    >> file types in other folders . . .
    >> What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
    >> Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
    >> P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY
    >> copy listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a
    >> file
    >> search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
    >> back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
    >> folder . . .

    > The "My Mussic" folder is just a link. If you search on the whole
    > workplace,
    > it will find the regular path as well as the link :)

    Thanks --- that makes sense. and a Happy new Year to you . . .

    --
    Alan

    Alan, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Alan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
    >>Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles

    > You need to change the way Explorer views files.
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E), under TOOLS, open Folder Options,
    > then the View Tab. Change these settings:
    >
    > Select Display the contents of system folders
    > Select Show hidden files and folders
    > UnSelect Hide Extensions for known file types
    > Unselect Hide Protected operating system files (ignore popup)

    Thanks, I'd always unselected the Hide Extensions option, but hadn't gone to
    the extent of deselecting the Hide protected os files ---- thanks for the
    advice (and a Happy New Year!)

    --
    Alan