    "ICS" scope.
    GHOST ICS Dhcp server.
    Any ideas on how to remove it? "Using minimum administrative effort" =)

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Guest Guest

    Ask lowdes or Stan. They seem to be THEE Most Knowledgeable Technicians in
    here. And well, since all of us MCNGP folk are unemployed and none of us
    have the technical know-how to assist people with problems that we've run
    into over the past 20 years or so in our daily job operations, then we are
    unable to help at this time.

    I'm just kidding...don't ask lowdes or Stan a damb thing, they're here to
    screw anyone that shows up.

    Seriously now,

    I had this same problem and found out that my RRAS had screwed the whole ICS
    up. I believe that RRAS and ICS cannot be running on the same computer at
    the same time, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It just seemed like as soon
    as I turned one of them off, then the other worked fine.

    I'm not saying that's your problem, but it may be something to look at.

    51

    Guest, Oct 26, 2006

  3. This is not a problem. This is a case scenario. It's happening in my lab
    environment. I've created a monster, and now I am feeding it discovery
    broadcasts. =)
    My conspiracy theory is that it had something to do with dcpromo.
    ICS dissapeared right after server got promoted to DC. Weird thing is that I
    can actually ping 192.168.0.1 even though neither of my NICs are configured
    with that address. Netsh is also showing ghost dhcp server to be running on
    192.168.0.1. Weird. Anyway, I am trying to trick ghost dhcp server to
    actually assign a lease to Computer2 within ICS subnet. In addition ghost
    server responds to discovery broadcasts, and sends offers. It's alive!

    Thanks for your reply. Even though I am not running RRAS on this server, I
    suspect that I should not be running ICS on any of my servers.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 27, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    If I am following your conversation correctly you are trying to find
    a the missing ICS (that is Internet connection Sharing, right). If so
    you really don't need it on a domain controller, the DC itself
    provides the internet connections. At least that is the way my network
    runs.

    I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
    and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
    rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
    as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
    gateway and DNS server.

    Lnkwizard2, Oct 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <> say in

    > I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
    > and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
    > rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
    > as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
    > gateway and DNS server.

    PUH-LEASE tell me there is a firewall/proxy/NAT somewhere in the mix

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - Maybe hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the risk?

    Neil, Oct 27, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    Small Business Server, with Exchange, SQL, and IAS built in and
    running, plus each box on the network has its own firewall.

    The DC provides the NAT function, Broadband is a class A address
    and am using class C addresses on the local net.

    Lnkwizard2, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Actually I am trying to find out where the dhcp server, which was installed
    by ICS, or anything providing that function, is still hiding on the DC. It
    would be nice to understand why ICS dissapeared and where it is now, but that
    is my secondary objective. If anybody is interested I found a whole ICS
    troubleshooting article here:
    I didn't go through it yet, but I hope it explains what services provide
    dhpc functions in ICS.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 27, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    > and IAS built

    actually RRAS/IAS has the NAT, but I feel a bit better now.

    Neil, Oct 27, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    > did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <> say in
    >
    >> and IAS built

    > actually RRAS/IAS has the NAT, but I feel a bit better now.
    >
    > --

    BTW, this is a personal network, not a production network.

    Lnkwizard2, Oct 27, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    > BTW, this is a personal network, not a production network.

    WHEW!

    *Neil stops worrying about Link's employment status*

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - "I'll pay off that customs official," said Tom dutifully.

    Neil, Oct 28, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    > did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <> say in
    >>
    >> BTW, this is a personal network, not a production network.
    >>

    > WHEW!
    >
    > *Neil stops worrying about Link's employment status*
    >
    > --

    They won't let me play with the network here, they
    are afraid that I willa ctually make it work like it is
    supposed to, instead of the lashup we have now.

    Lnkwizard2, Oct 30, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

    > They won't let me play with the network here, they
    > are afraid that I willa ctually make it work like it is
    > supposed to, instead of the lashup we have now.

    sounds reasonable. Why would any one want a SECURE/STABLE network

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006

    - If you only have a nail every tool looks like a hammer.

    Neil, Oct 30, 2006