Ghost clone XP Hard Drive in/on new motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by up for the game, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. Hi
    I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.

    I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    would work properly on the new installation.

    If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.

    Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    appreciate the information sharing.

    Thanking you in advance
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007

  2. up for the game

    Bill Guest

    "up for the game" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    > and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    > updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    > 'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >
    > I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    > same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    > would work properly on the new installation.
    >
    > If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    > share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >
    > Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    > cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    > appreciate the information sharing.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance
    > Joe
    >
    > --

    I used Norton Ghost and copied one entire drive to the newly formatted one.
    No problems.

    Bill, Jan 4, 2007

  3. up for the game

    old man Guest

    So with this expensive software you dont have an installation cd, nor will
    they provide a means of reinstalling something you apparently paid for?

    You can try a ghost to new hardware, you will probably have to run a repair
    installation of win though.
    And if your winxp is OEM it might baulk at the new hw

    old man, Jan 4, 2007
  4. up for the game

    Guest

    up for the game <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >
    >I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    >same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    >would work properly on the new installation.
    >
    >If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >
    >Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >appreciate the information sharing.

    XP won't like it, and you will need to do a repair on the
    installation after you install it - XP will see it as a new system and
    consider you a pirate..
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    Another link on the repair.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    FWIW msoobe.exe is the file you need to run to generate a wpa.dbl
    --
    http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1236/whydoesntthisworkzr7.jpg

    , Jan 4, 2007
  5. up for the game

    Tony Guest

    I've never had to clone a drive to make it work with new hardware, just used
    the same HDD, once all the drivers are installed it works just fine.

    Tony, Jan 4, 2007
  6. up for the game

    Senti Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "up for the game" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >> and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >> updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >> 'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >>
    >> I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    >> same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    >> would work properly on the new installation.
    >>
    >> If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >> share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >>
    >> Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >> cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >> appreciate the information sharing.
    >>
    >> Thanking you in advance
    >> Joe
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > I used Norton Ghost and copied one entire drive to the newly formatted one.
    > No problems.

    Did you also replace the motherboard? I'm guessing not if you had "no
    problems". In that case you're talking tomatoes, when he's asking about
    potatoes.

    You'll have few (if any) problems putting a new hard drive (with a clone
    of the original) into the same system original hard drive came out of.
    You're using the exact same drivers and other assorted files that were
    using before you switched hard drives. When you put an old system drive
    into a new motherboard, there's no guarantee it will work properly. In
    fact it's unlikely unless the new hardware uses the exact same hardware
    as the old.

    If you want to test it out, try moving your XP system drive into a new
    computer and see if it will boot the computer. Again, I'm guessing not.

    Senti, Jan 4, 2007
  7. up for the game

    Senti Guest

    up for the game wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    > and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    > updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    > 'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >
    > I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    > same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    > would work properly on the new installation.
    >
    > If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    > share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >
    > Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    > cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    > appreciate the information sharing.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance
    > Joe

    I addition to the other helpful likes, you may want to peruse this one:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

    Senti, Jan 4, 2007
  8. Thanks for the time.
    I have the installation CD, but have had insurmountable problems
    trying to install it on any other system....and the company/author is
    no longer available. The software does exactly what I need for my job
    and the computer it is now on has been deteriorating rapidly to the
    point where it is almost not usable--so a new one is in order, hence
    the post.

    I remember doing this with W98 and having nothing but problems on the
    first boot, but seemed to have better luck if the chipset/cpu were the
    same. I also remember a coworker of mine being successful with NT.
    I assume that XP will get in a huff the 1st boot but reason that the
    thing would work itself out after two or three boots and finding or
    looking for the correct drivers--as one other post mentioned.

    I am specifically looking for devices, software, or what have you to
    remove prior to using the ghosted drive on the new configuration.

    I can deal with the OEM thing here...will probably need to talk to MS
    about activation though.

    Again, Thanks for the post.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Thanks for the time...

    that WPA link is a good one as is the one from michaelstevenstech.com.
    I appreciate the post.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 4, 2007
  10. up for the game

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:48:37 -0500, up for the game
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >
    >I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    >same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    >would work properly on the new installation.
    >
    >If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >
    >Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >appreciate the information sharing.
    >
    >Thanking you in advance
    >Joe

    You need to SYSPREP the original Windows installation before Ghosting
    it, or XP will detect the different HD ID and hang while loading.

    Alternatively go to Acronis - apparently they have a free migration
    tool designed just for this case.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Jan 4, 2007
  11. up for the game

    clot Guest

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:48:37 -0500, up for the game
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >> and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >> updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >> 'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >>
    >> I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with
    >> the same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard
    >> drive would work properly on the new installation.
    >>
    >> If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >> share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >>
    >> Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >> cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >> appreciate the information sharing.
    >>
    >> Thanking you in advance
    >> Joe

    > You need to SYSPREP the original Windows installation before Ghosting
    > it, or XP will detect the different HD ID and hang while loading.
    >
    > Alternatively go to Acronis - apparently they have a free migration
    > tool designed just for this case.

    That's worked for me (so far!)

    clot, Jan 4, 2007
  12. On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:37:08 +1100, Gaius Baltar <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:48:37 -0500, up for the game
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >>and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >>updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >>'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >>
    >>I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    >>same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    >>would work properly on the new installation.
    >>
    >>If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >>share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >>
    >>Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >>cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >>appreciate the information sharing.
    >>
    >>Thanking you in advance
    >>Joe

    >You need to SYSPREP the original Windows installation before Ghosting
    >it, or XP will detect the different HD ID and hang while loading.
    >
    >Alternatively go to Acronis - apparently they have a free migration
    >tool designed just for this case.
    >
    >gb

    Thanks for the acronis tip.....I have 'spoken' with them and it looks
    like their product will do the deed....not free, but not expensive
    either.
    Again, Thanks to all for the time to respond.
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 5, 2007
  13. On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:37:08 +1100, Gaius Baltar <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:48:37 -0500, up for the game
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I have a need to replace the hardware, specifically, the CPU/Memory
    >>and Motherboard in my XP machine. However, due to the expense of the
    >>updated version of one particular software package I use, I need to
    >>'clone' the Hard Drive and not reinstall the application.
    >>
    >>I believe I had heard that, providing I use a motherboard/CPU with the
    >>same chipset, a DOS type Ghost copy of the older/smaller hard drive
    >>would work properly on the new installation.
    >>
    >>If anyone has had experiences doing the same thing, I ask that you
    >>share it with me as I really do not want to lose the installation.
    >>
    >>Additionally, if any special steps are needed before or after the
    >>cloning/reuse of the hard drive on the new machine, I would also
    >>appreciate the information sharing.
    >>
    >>Thanking you in advance
    >>Joe

    >You need to SYSPREP the original Windows installation before Ghosting
    >it, or XP will detect the different HD ID and hang while loading.
    >
    >Alternatively go to Acronis - apparently they have a free migration
    >tool designed just for this case.
    >
    >gb

    One more item:

    Actually, here is the chat log for my inquiry:

    " We can offer you Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/ along with Acronis
    Universal Restore
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/universal-restore.html
    add-on option.
    Acronis Universal Restore allows you to restore to different hardware
    without using the mentioned Sysprep."

    Looks to beat ghost to the job.....and no Symantec to deal with!
    Joe

    up for the game, Jan 5, 2007
  14. up for the game

    Alan Bruce Guest

    It is possible to do this but unless you use an identical motherboard
    chipset you will probably get a Blue screen of death on starting up.
    THe OS when installed loads in a lot of underlying drivers to do with
    your motherboard chipset. If it does not like what it sees on booting
    (ie a new motherboard) there is every chance of a boot failure.

    There is a very high chance that if you replace the motherboard on an
    XP installation you are looking at a full re-install unfortunately.

    Alan Bruce, Jan 7, 2007
  15. up for the game

    Alan Bruce Guest

    Alan Bruce, Jan 7, 2007