Ghost and restoring images of windows to boot drive - quick question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Walter.Robbins@gmail.com, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.

    I use Ghost2003

    When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    destination drive.

    what am i doing wrong?
    , Apr 8, 2006

  2. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 01:45:13 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    >them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.
    >
    >I use Ghost2003
    >
    >When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    >partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    >to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    >2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    >partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    >on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    >blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    >drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    >doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    >destination drive.
    >

    >what am i doing wrong?

    i just did a quick test, popped a 40 gig drive in as a 2nd drive and
    imaged my C (my primary drive with C has 3 partitions). I formatted
    and partitioned the 2nd drive - the 40 gig - as 2 partitions and
    copied a couple files to the 2nd paritition. Backed up my C image
    just fine than restored the image to the 40 gig drive, the 2nd
    paritition is gone from the 40 gig drive, but has an exact copy of C.
    Im getting the images and restore working just fine, the restore
    destination is giving me troubles.
    , Apr 8, 2006

  3. Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 01:45:13 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    >them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.
    >
    >I use Ghost2003
    >
    >When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    >partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    >to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    >2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    >partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    >on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    >blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    >drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    >doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    >destination drive.
    >

    >what am i doing wrong?

    Just a W.A.G., but I'd say you're creating an image of the entire source
    drive, rather than just the partition you want.
    --
    If ignorance isn't bliss - I don't know what it is.
    Spuds, Apr 8, 2006
  4. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    > them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.
    >
    > I use Ghost2003
    >
    > When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    > partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    > to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    > 2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    > partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    > on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    > blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    > drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    > doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    > destination drive.
    >
    > what am i doing wrong?

    Partition to Partition.
    Drive to Drive.
    Simply really, you`re probably mixing them.
    I`ve never had a problem with Ghost. (Who said that ?. <g>.)
    beenthere, Apr 8, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:30:01 GMT, "beenthere" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    >> them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.
    >>
    >> I use Ghost2003
    >>
    >> When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    >> partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    >> to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    >> 2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    >> partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    >> on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    >> blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    >> drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    >> doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    >> destination drive.
    >>
    >> what am i doing wrong?
    >>

    >Partition to Partition.
    >Drive to Drive.
    >Simply really, you`re probably mixing them.
    >I`ve never had a problem with Ghost. (Who said that ?. <g>.)

    \

    Im choosing partition copy/image, not drive to drive.
    , Apr 8, 2006
  6. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:30:01 GMT, "beenthere" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've been plenty successful using ghost to make images and restore
    >>> them. I've always had a problem that bugs me.
    >>>
    >>> I use Ghost2003
    >>>
    >>> When I want to restore a partition it never lets me choose the
    >>> partition to restore to, it only lets me choose the drive to restore
    >>> to. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and I make an image to my
    >>> 2nd drive and restore the first drive. Both drives have multiple
    >>> partitions but when I do the restore and try to only overright files
    >>> on the C drive it overrites the other partitions on that drive with
    >>> blank space. In the setup when it asks the destination it lists both
    >>> drives and it shows all my partitions, when I choose the drive it
    >>> doesn't allow me to choose the destination partition - only the
    >>> destination drive.
    >>>
    >>> what am i doing wrong?
    >>>

    >>Partition to Partition.
    >>Drive to Drive.
    >>Simply really, you`re probably mixing them.
    >>I`ve never had a problem with Ghost. (Who said that ?. <g>.)
    >>

    > Im choosing partition copy/image, not drive to drive.

    When you boot Ghost you create your partition Image to your other
    drive.
    Do you, on the next restart, copy Image to partition ?.
    Or just back to drive ?.
    beenthere, Apr 8, 2006
  7. beenthere Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:30:01 GMT, "beenthere" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>Partition to Partition.
    >>>Drive to Drive.
    >>>Simply really, you`re probably mixing them.
    >>>I`ve never had a problem with Ghost. (Who said that ?. <g>.)
    >>>

    >> Im choosing partition copy/image, not drive to drive.
    >>

    > When you boot Ghost you create your partition Image to your other
    > drive.
    > Do you, on the next restart, copy Image to partition ?.
    > Or just back to drive ?.

    Just switched off, and loaded Ghost, `cos I couldn`t remember
    the wording.
    To recoup a partition, you have to select Partition From Image.
    And ghost should do just that.
    beenthere, Apr 8, 2006