Ghost, AG Need Your Opinion

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Yummy, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    Ghost and AG,

    I respect your opinions greatly, especially since both of you own a
    storefront. I have been working out of my house and mini-storage for
    the past 4 years, and now things are right for my opening of a
    storefront with one p/t employee.

    Where I live is a small suburb of Dallas with around 22K people.
    Averaging around 500 new rooftops per yr. There is one established
    computer store, been in business for over 15 years. They are my
    friends, and sometimes we send each other work.

    The other places are Wal-Mart, Office Depot. There was another
    computer store, but he went out of business last month. He had a bad
    rep anyway, he always "resold" the same copy of Windows (not xp
    obviously), got into trouble for dumping around a hundred junked
    monitors on a county road instead of taking them to a landfill.
    Dumbass left a company sticker on one of them, thats how he got
    caught.

    Anyway, I want to open a storefront, but I don't want to hurt my
    friends business (my future competition). They are in a old crappy
    building downtown, I will be in a new strip center by the freeway. How
    do I attempt to take business away from them and still maintain our
    friendship? I have never bad-mouthed them, they know their sh*t.
    I'm not in this to fail. My focus is businesses, SOHO, networks. I
    also plan on doing things like home entertainment/media center pc's in
    the future. Their focus is the typical home user, but I want a piece
    of that action also.

    They know of my plans, and I get the idea from them that they are
    worried that I'll put them out of business, but they are still
    supportive.

    I am the only one responsible financially. No partners, angels, just
    myself.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks in adv.

    Dave
    Yummy, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Yummy

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Yummy
    <> wrote:

    > Ghost and AG,
    >
    > I respect your opinions greatly, especially since both of you own a
    > storefront. I have been working out of my house and mini-storage for
    > the past 4 years, and now things are right for my opening of a
    > storefront with one p/t employee.
    >
    > Where I live is a small suburb of Dallas with around 22K people.
    > Averaging around 500 new rooftops per yr. There is one established
    > computer store, been in business for over 15 years. They are my
    > friends, and sometimes we send each other work.
    >
    > The other places are Wal-Mart, Office Depot. There was another
    > computer store, but he went out of business last month. He had a bad
    > rep anyway, he always "resold" the same copy of Windows (not xp
    > obviously), got into trouble for dumping around a hundred junked
    > monitors on a county road instead of taking them to a landfill.
    > Dumbass left a company sticker on one of them, thats how he got
    > caught.
    >
    > Anyway, I want to open a storefront, but I don't want to hurt my
    > friends business (my future competition). They are in a old crappy
    > building downtown, I will be in a new strip center by the freeway. How
    > do I attempt to take business away from them and still maintain our
    > friendship? I have never bad-mouthed them, they know their sh*t.
    > I'm not in this to fail. My focus is businesses, SOHO, networks. I
    > also plan on doing things like home entertainment/media center pc's in
    > the future. Their focus is the typical home user, but I want a piece
    > of that action also.
    >
    > They know of my plans, and I get the idea from them that they are
    > worried that I'll put them out of business, but they are still
    > supportive.
    >
    > I am the only one responsible financially. No partners, angels, just
    > myself.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in adv.
    >
    > Dave

    Sure... no problem...

    Do not open your store right next to theirs (you sound like that is
    already part of the plan)..

    Do not adertise on the billboard right next to their shop either.. lol

    Do not seriously undercut their pricing. If they are charging say $50 an
    hour, make sure you are somewhere around the same rate.

    Do not bod mouth them (sounds like that part is done too). Always behave
    like a professional.

    Do not "go after" their client list. In other words, if you know they
    service "XYZ Company", do not make a concerted effort to take that
    customer. Now, if "XYZ Company" does annual bidding or something, or if
    they come to you, then you again act as a professional and try to get
    their business the right way.

    Maintain your professional relationship with them.

    Good Luck!
    Ghost, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    The retail space I'm going to lease is about 2 miles from them, but on
    the same street.

    Billboards aren't legal where I live, so that's no problem. Signage is
    strict, no pole signs, only monument style. No temp. banners or signs.
    No parked vehicles as advertsing. Sidewalk sales by permit only.
    Balloons are allowed 2 times per yr. Geez, city gestapo!

    I wouldn't bad mouth them, they know more about somethings than I do.

    I wouldn't undercut them except for grand opening specials. They
    charge $95.00 per hr inshop, $100.00 onsite (for 1.5 hr). I plan on
    matching the inshop, but the onsite is $99.00 local, trips over 15
    miles are charged and additional .32 per mile. Flat fees for things
    like memory upgrades, cd burner installs, simple stuff. I also give 5%
    off for civil servants (police, fireman, teachers, military) and for
    non-profit orgs.

    I know most of their clients, and they know most of mine. I know that
    a few of their clients aren't happy with them, but I won't pursue
    them. They can come to me. There is a few of mine that I would like to
    give to them.

    Dave

    Yummy, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Yummy

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Yummy,

    I know I don't fit your criteria on this question, but if I may, just my
    $.02...

    I live in a city of about 600,000, and there are about 20 'mom and pop' pc
    repair biz's in the area. They seem to coexist just fine, and have worked
    for a few of them (I'm a plc programmer by trade, make a bit more money, but
    love to get my hands on the guts of a pc from time to time...).

    Ghost (whom I admire, also... think this is going to his ego?.. lol) gave
    some great advice. The only thing that I would like to add... if they are
    truly your friends and give you business, why not discuss it with them?
    Make sure you got your game plan set, and what you want to do, what is
    negotiable, but if they are truly friends, more than 'professional
    acquaintances', I guess I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to
    speak. Remember, the anticipation of death is worse than death itself. Get
    it out in the open. If they are pissy about it, do what you gotta do. If
    they are cool about it, you'll sleep a lot better.

    Big rule, no matter what happens, don't bad mouth them. PC community is a
    tight knit group, and you'll never know when you bump into that other store
    owner's brother in law. Be up front, be honest, try to be cool.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 24, 2003