    b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    cutout. is this just me?

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Ed  Kim

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Ed
    Kim <> wrote:

    > i bought the three Ghibli dvds that released tuesday and saw that there
    > was a coupon to get one fo the previous Ghibli dvds free. *shrug* i
    > then noticed that to send in the Proof of Purchase, yhou have to cut it
    > out form the back of the cover sheet. Uhm... i donut want to do that,
    > b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    > cutout. is this just me?

    Yes :) First, since the cover is inside the plastic you'll never notice
    it. The proofs of purchace are also rather small, assuming you just cut
    out one of the three. Finally, Disney did it this way assuming anal
    collectors would be too, well, anal to cut it up and thus they wouldn't
    have to give away any dvds.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Ed  Kim

    napalm68 Guest

    Maybe scan your cover, print it, and use that, and then cut up the priginal.
    napalm68, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Ed  Kim

    Chris Kuan Guest

    "Ed Kim" <> wrote on Sun 27 Feb 2005 09:08:52a

    > i bought the three Ghibli dvds that released tuesday and saw that there
    > was a coupon to get one fo the previous Ghibli dvds free. *shrug* i
    > then noticed that to send in the Proof of Purchase, yhou have to cut it
    > out form the back of the cover sheet. Uhm... i donut want to do that,
    > b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    > cutout. is this just me?

    Apparently the mail-in coupon is available somewhere as a freely-
    downloadable PDF on amazon.com

    --
    Chris
    Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com
    Chris Kuan, Feb 27, 2005
  5. Ed  Kim

    Fata Morgana Guest

    "Ed Kim" <> wrote in message
    >i bought the three Ghibli dvds that released tuesday and saw that there
    > was a coupon to get one fo the previous Ghibli dvds free. *shrug* i
    > then noticed that to send in the Proof of Purchase, yhou have to cut it
    > out form the back of the cover sheet. Uhm... i donut want to do that,
    > b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    > cutout. is this just me?

    No. I felt the same way. I was going to get one of those DVDs for family
    (since I already own them all myself), but decided against it because I
    didn't want to cut up my cover art!

    - Mary P.
    --
    http://www.jazzmess.com - a viewers' guide to Cowboy Bebop
    http://www.cowboybebop.org - archive of CowboyBebop.com
    Fata Morgana, Feb 27, 2005
  6. Ed  Kim

    Anymous Guest

    Nah, I would feel the same way. I also think thats a very stupid way
    for disney to do this. Then again they did stick that Lassator guy
    doing a introduction in Kiki & Spirited Away DVDs before the films
    actually started... so its obvious theres some brain damage running
    rampant at disney. I would have made more sense to just include
    coupons in the DVD cases like Bandai did with the Gundam Wing DVDs and
    free toys. Then again Bandai screwed that up and I never did get my
    toy from that offer.

    Anymous, Feb 27, 2005
  7. Ed  Kim

    Tweek Guest

    Ed Kim <> wrote in message
    > i bought the three Ghibli dvds that released tuesday and saw that there
    > was a coupon to get one fo the previous Ghibli dvds free. *shrug* i
    > then noticed that to send in the Proof of Purchase, yhou have to cut it
    > out form the back of the cover sheet. Uhm... i donut want to do that,
    > b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    > cutout. is this just me?
    >
    > -goro-

    I have already bought the new versions of Porco Rosso and Nausicaa. I don't
    own Spirited Away or The Cat Returns. For some reason I keep wanting to just
    buy Spirited Away and forget about buying Cat Returns and sending away for
    Spirited Away. Am I being an idiot, or is Cat Returns as worthless as it
    looks?

    --
    Tweek
    Tweek, Mar 1, 2005
  8. On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:32:03 -0500, Tweek <> wrote:
    >I have already bought the new versions of Porco Rosso and Nausicaa. I don't
    >own Spirited Away or The Cat Returns. For some reason I keep wanting to just
    >buy Spirited Away and forget about buying Cat Returns and sending away for
    >Spirited Away. Am I being an idiot, or is Cat Returns as worthless as it
    >looks?

    Depends on your definition of worthless. I thought _The Cat Returns_ was
    amusing but lightweight. The story lacks depth in its execution --
    there's room in there for character development and thematic work, but the
    opportunities aren't exploited. That said, the narrative moves along
    quite briskly and doesn't sag; some of the jokes (visual and verbal) made
    me laugh out loud. The animation is interesting to watch (particularly of
    the cats, less so of the humans) and both the original and the dub voice
    work is good (I give the honors to the original, but not by much). The
    use of dubtitles instead of subtitles is highly annoying. The score is
    easy on the ear and the closing credit song is upbeat, hummable, and suits
    the mood of the piece. If you're looking for something thoughtful and
    deeply resonant, _The Cat Returns_ won't fit the bill. On the other hand,
    it's probably a great birthday/Christmas/other suitable holiday present
    for a younger sibling or cousin or offspring, so there's always the gambit
    of buying a cheap copy (Best Buy is clearly your friend here, beating out
    even the online outlets at the moment) as a gift for someone else and
    using the proof of purchase to get that copy of _Spirited Away_.

    Peace,
    Liz

    --
    Liz Broadwell (username-in-header at orphco dot org), Charter Orphan
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    Liz Broadwell, Mar 1, 2005
  9. Ed  Kim

    Chris Kuan Guest

    "Tweek" <> wrote on Wed 02 Mar 2005 01:32:03a

    > is Cat Returns as worthless as it looks?

    Strangely, I hear many people are liking it even more than most other
    recent Ghibli works.

    It's a perfectly acceptable bit of light kids' entertainment (say, for 10-
    year-olds). The bits that work least are actually the attempts at sly adult
    humour, because they break the tone somewhat.

    And it has an amazing catchy ending song.

    Chris Kuan, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Ed  Kim

    Anymous Guest

    I thought The Cat Returns was a great movie. One of my favorites
    since I saw it last year actually. So far everyone else who watched
    it with me thought so to (they were mostly small children though).
    Even though Miyazaki quit directing with Spirited Away, he still
    created this movie. Anyone who tries to blow off one of his movies
    that easily is a fool. Spirited Away was better movie though... with
    the exception of Lassator starting his introduction when you hit play.
    Man, that was such an unprofessional and stupid thing to do to a DVD
    it still pisses me off to this day.

    Anymous, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Ed  Kim

    Lawrence Lin Guest

    Lawrence Lin, Mar 1, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    > i bought the three Ghibli dvds that released tuesday and saw that there
    > was a coupon to get one fo the previous Ghibli dvds free. *shrug* i
    > then noticed that to send in the Proof of Purchase, yhou have to cut it
    > out form the back of the cover sheet. Uhm... i donut want to do that,
    > b/c then the back of my dvd cover will have this little rectangular
    > cutout. is this just me?

    It's worse than that. In Canada, the fine print says that you must live in
    the same province as the retailer that issued the receipt; if you got it by
    mail-order from another province or the US, you can't take advantage of the
    offer. I wouldn't be surprised if the US copies have a similar clause.

    It also says that if you don't comply with all the terms, they will neither
    acknowledge nor return it. So if you send a receipt that doesn't match
    your home province, they'll keep your money and won't even tell you why
    you're not getting the free disc.

    Not that it makes much difference to me. The bonus disc is a choice
    between Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service, and
    I already have those.
    Wayne C. Morris, Mar 1, 2005
  13. Ed  Kim

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Wayne C. Morris wrote:

    > It also says that if you don't comply with all the terms, they will neither
    > acknowledge nor return it. So if you send a receipt that doesn't match
    > your home province, they'll keep your money and won't even tell you why
    > you're not getting the free disc.
    >
    > Not that it makes much difference to me. The bonus disc is a choice
    > between Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service, and
    > I already have those.

    Wayne (and others),
    I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking advantage of
    the offer. Which one would you recommend?
    Thanks

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Mar 1, 2005
  14. Dick Sidbury <> writes:
    > Wayne (and others),
    > I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking
    > advantage of the offer. Which one would you recommend?
    > Thanks

    It entirely depends on what you like. Castle is arguably a much
    better film; it has an intriguing surface story, a Deep Meaning(tm),
    and one of Miyazaki's few strong male leads. Plus, Cloris Leachman's
    Dola is side-splittingly hilarious. It's a great SF-y adventure story
    with heroes, villains, and precious little irritating comic relief.

    Still, Kiki grabbed my heart from the day I first saw an AMV of "Every
    Little Thing She Does is Magic" done to scenes from the movie. It's a
    sweet little movie about a young girl learning to make a life for
    herself on her own. Sure there's a little drama in there, but it's
    really a slice-of-life story that is both a literal tale of and a
    metaphor for adolescence. As a personal note, I like almost all the
    English voices except Phil Hartman's Jiji, which just grates on my
    nerves like fingernails on a blackboard, but the subs are good (not
    counting the translation of "kohii" as "hot chocolate", but that's a
    minor quibble).

    -=Eric
    -- Blair Houghton.
    Eric Schwartz, Mar 1, 2005
  15. Ed  Kim

    Justin Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote on [Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:29:07 -0500]:
    > Wayne C. Morris wrote:
    >>
    >> It also says that if you don't comply with all the terms, they will neither
    >> acknowledge nor return it. So if you send a receipt that doesn't match
    >> your home province, they'll keep your money and won't even tell you why
    >> you're not getting the free disc.
    >>
    >> Not that it makes much difference to me. The bonus disc is a choice
    >> between Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service, and
    >> I already have those.

    > Wayne (and others),
    > I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking advantage of
    > the offer. Which one would you recommend?
    > Thanks

    Castle.
    Justin, Mar 1, 2005
  16. On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:29:07 -0500, Dick Sidbury
    <> wrote:

    >Wayne C. Morris wrote:
    >>
    >> It also says that if you don't comply with all the terms, they will neither
    >> acknowledge nor return it. So if you send a receipt that doesn't match
    >> your home province, they'll keep your money and won't even tell you why
    >> you're not getting the free disc.
    >>
    >> Not that it makes much difference to me. The bonus disc is a choice
    >> between Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service, and
    >> I already have those.

    >Wayne (and others),
    > I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking advantage of
    >the offer. Which one would you recommend?
    >Thanks
    >
    >dick

    I don't have Castle, but imho, Kiki is amazing, (in the original
    Japanese). I can watch Kiki (or Nausicaa, or Spirited Away, or Grave
    of the Fireflies) all day.
    Dyuob Poltice, Mar 1, 2005
  17. Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    > I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking advantage of
    >the offer. Which one would you recommend?

    They're both good, but I'd buy _Kiki_ first: it has the tighter plot and
    the better dub voicework (that is, as long as Phil Hartman doesn't make
    you gag), as well as being a wonderful meditation on what it means and
    takes to make a vocation out of creativity. (I always want to stand up
    and cheer at the bit where Ursula explains to Kiki how to handle an art
    block -- it's so *right*.) _Castle_ seems overlong to me, as if the
    narrative could be more tightly edited. But it's also quite exciting and
    stands out among Miyazaki's works as the closest he gets to straight-up
    good guys v. bad guys. Depends on what you like to watch most, I guess.

    Peace,
    Liz

    Liz Broadwell, Mar 1, 2005
  18. Ed  Kim

    Ed Kim Guest

    Dyuob Poltice wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:29:07 -0500, Dick Sidbury
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Wayne C. Morris wrote:
    > >>
    > >> It also says that if you don't comply with all the terms, they

    will neither
    > >> acknowledge nor return it. So if you send a receipt that doesn't

    match
    > >> your home province, they'll keep your money and won't even tell

    you why
    > >> you're not getting the free disc.
    > >>
    > >> Not that it makes much difference to me. The bonus disc is a

    choice
    > >> between Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery

    Service, and
    > >> I already have those.

    > >Wayne (and others),
    > > I have neither Castle nor Kiki's and am planning on taking

    advantage of
    > >the offer. Which one would you recommend?
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >dick

    > I don't have Castle, but imho, Kiki is amazing, (in the original
    > Japanese). I can watch Kiki (or Nausicaa, or Spirited Away, or Grave
    > of the Fireflies) all day.

    you can watch GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES all day?

    .... and not killyourself?

    wow.

    i once watched BURMESE HARP and FIRES ON THE PLAINS back to back...
    took me a week to recover...

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Mar 1, 2005
  19. On 1 Mar 2005 12:01:49 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >you can watch GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES all day?
    >
    >... and not killyourself?
    >
    >wow.

    Well, maybe once and then spend the rest of the day hating
    humanity.....
    Dyuob Poltice, Mar 1, 2005
  20. On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:23:14 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Dyuob Poltice wrote:
    >
    >> On 1 Mar 2005 12:01:49 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>you can watch GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES all day?
    >>>
    >>>... and not killyourself?
    >>>
    >>>wow.

    >> Well, maybe once and then spend the rest of the day hating
    >> humanity.....

    >Happened to me once, too, but I just ended up hating just a *section* of
    >humanity--
    >Like, overenthusiastic "Fireflies" fans.
    >
    >(Still, just because Ghibli *had* to market "Totoro" and "Fireflies"
    >together doesn't mean WE have to.) >_<
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Ok, I'll just start raving about the Tripletts of Bellville
    instead...lol
    Dyuob Poltice, Mar 1, 2005