    (if Olympus/Panasonic have eliminated certain aspects of chroma noise
    beyond 1600 ISO, bravo, but there is no solid proof of this yet), but
    others have shown typical 4/3rds noise issues beginning at 800 ISO.
    RichA, Mar 12, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >I was able to pick one of these up with the 14-140mm for $1100.00
    >which is considerably less than the average retail of the last units
    >out there.

    Well done, that's a great deal. The price is significantly less than
    our wholesale price from Panasonic for those kits. :-(

    >I've no doubt the GH3 will be announced any day

    We are told it is still a few months away.

    >but my real reason was to see a few consumers get their hands on the OM-D and
    >wring it out before buying it. Though Olympus is not know for
    >producing defective cameras (like some) there were some problems with
    >phase focusing their HG and SHG lenses on the E-5. But apart from any
    >consideration of flaws, there is a really odd stream of images coming
    >from test samples. Some purport to show good quality up to 6400 ISO,
    >(if Olympus/Panasonic have eliminated certain aspects of chroma noise
    >beyond 1600 ISO, bravo, but there is no solid proof of this yet), but
    >others have shown typical 4/3rds noise issues beginning at 800 ISO.

    The problem is that the samples are coming from a mix of
    pre-production cameras with early firmware.

    Basically, the E-M5 has the same Live MOS sensor as the Panasonic G3
    and GX1 (it is also very similar to that in your GH2) with noise
    levels that don't increase significantly as you go up from ISO 200 to
    1600. Beyond that, there is a sharp increase.

    Olympus claims to have eked out a little more dynamic range from the
    sensor but there isn't any conclusive evidence of that yet. So I
    wouldn't expect the E-M5 to be a whole lot better than your GH2, which
    is a very fine camera.

    If I could buy one for $1100 on this side of the pond, I would.
    Bruce, Mar 12, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 12, 8:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >I was able to pick one of these up with the 14-140mm for $1100.00
    > >which is considerably less than the average retail of the last units
    > >out there.

    > Well done, that's a great deal.  The price is significantly less than
    > our wholesale price from Panasonic for those kits.  :-(

    The store told me any left-over stock coming in would go at $1599.00

    > >I've no doubt the GH3 will be announced any day

    > We are told it is still a few months away.
    >
    > >but my real reason was to see a few consumers get their hands on the OM-D and
    > >wring it out before buying it.  Though Olympus is not know for
    > >producing defective cameras (like some) there were some problems with
    > >phase focusing their HG and SHG lenses on the E-5.  But apart from any
    > >consideration of flaws, there is a really odd stream of images coming
    > >from test samples.  Some purport to show good quality up to 6400 ISO,
    > >(if Olympus/Panasonic have eliminated certain aspects of chroma noise
    > >beyond 1600 ISO, bravo, but there is no solid proof of this yet), but
    > >others have shown typical 4/3rds noise issues beginning at 800 ISO.

    > The problem is that the samples are coming from a mix of
    > pre-production cameras with early firmware.
    >
    > Basically, the E-M5 has the same Live MOS sensor as the Panasonic G3
    > and GX1 (it is also very similar to that in your GH2) with noise
    > levels that don't increase significantly as you go up from ISO 200 to
    > 1600.  Beyond that, there is a sharp increase.

    That's exactly what i found when comparing the GH2 against the Nikon
    D7000. Up to about 1600, the two cameras were pretty similar with a
    an edge going to the Nikon. Beyond, that, the Nikon held a
    significant advantage. Too bad about the focusing issues.
    RichA, Mar 12, 2012
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Mar 12, 8:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >I was able to pick one of these up with the 14-140mm for $1100.00
    >> >which is considerably less than the average retail of the last units
    >> >out there.

    >> Well done, that's a great deal.  The price is significantly less than
    >> our wholesale price from Panasonic for those kits.  :-(

    >The store told me any left-over stock coming in would go at $1599.00

    When an opportunity like that comes along, it is best to grasp it. You
    got an excellent deal. I think the GH2 will suit you very well.

    >> The problem is that the samples are coming from a mix of
    >> pre-production cameras with early firmware.
    >>
    >> Basically, the E-M5 has the same Live MOS sensor as the Panasonic G3
    >> and GX1 (it is also very similar to that in your GH2) with noise
    >> levels that don't increase significantly as you go up from ISO 200 to
    >> 1600.  Beyond that, there is a sharp increase.

    >That's exactly what i found when comparing the GH2 against the Nikon
    >D7000. Up to about 1600, the two cameras were pretty similar with a
    >an edge going to the Nikon. Beyond, that, the Nikon held a
    >significant advantage. Too bad about the focusing issues.

    The D7000 is due to be replaced this year, as are the D3100 and D300s.
    I hope that is an opportunity to design out any AF problems. I didn't
    have any with mine, and it's long gone in any case.

    I was hugely impressed with the D7000's dynamic range. The same
    sensor in the Pentax K-5 does just as well. Yet the same sensor in
    several Sony cameras lags way behind. I don't know what it is about
    Sony, but the company seems adept at turning success into failure.

    We have stock of the NEX-7 arriving at last but no good lenses for it
    apart from the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 which is expensive and in very
    short supply. The result is that our pre-orders for the NEX-7 have
    been well below expectations.
    Bruce, Mar 12, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 12, 1:37 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> Well done, that's a great deal.  The price is significantly less than
    > >> our wholesale price from Panasonic for those kits.  :-(

    > >The store told me any left-over stock coming in would go at $1599.00

    > When an opportunity like that comes along, it is best to grasp it. You
    > got an excellent deal.  I think the GH2 will suit you very well.
    >
    > >> The problem is that the samples are coming from a mix of
    > >> pre-production cameras with early firmware.

    > >> Basically, the E-M5 has the same Live MOS sensor as the Panasonic G3
    > >> and GX1 (it is also very similar to that in your GH2) with noise
    > >> levels that don't increase significantly as you go up from ISO 200 to
    > >> 1600.  Beyond that, there is a sharp increase.

    > >That's exactly what i found when comparing the GH2 against the Nikon
    > >D7000.  Up to about 1600, the two cameras were pretty similar with a
    > >an edge going to the Nikon.  Beyond, that, the Nikon held a
    > >significant advantage.  Too bad about the focusing issues.

    > The D7000 is due to be replaced this year, as are the D3100 and D300s.
    > I hope that is an opportunity to design out any AF problems.  I didn't
    > have any with mine, and it's long gone in any case.

    I had mine for a week, and sold it to guy who worked for some
    government agency and he was desperate for the D7000 for his work.
    The bodies were in short supply then. First day I had it, everything
    was OOF. Next day, no problem at all. Yes, it's DR and overall image
    quality was very good. I still think Fuji's S5 was the best. I don't
    quite know what to make of Sony at this point. They've produced a lot
    of cameras in a relatively short space of time though.

    > I was hugely impressed with the D7000's dynamic range.  The same
    > sensor in the Pentax K-5 does just as well.  Yet the same sensor in
    > several Sony cameras lags way behind.  I don't know what it is about
    > Sony, but the company seems adept at turning success into failure.
    >
    > We have stock of the NEX-7 arriving at last but no good lenses for it
    > apart from the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 which is expensive and in very
    > short supply.  The result is that our pre-orders for the NEX-7 have
    > been well below expectations.

    That's too bad. But I have idea what Sony's production issues are
    right now. Maybe it's not out of line expecting a kit lens that can
    support 24mp on an APS to cost about 1/2 what the camera does, and
    maybe its kit lens shouldn't try to compete on price with ones from
    lesser cameras??
    Back when, no one I knew stayed with the Nikon 18-55mm. First chance
    they got, they put on an 18-70mm, at least. Some kit lenses are
    merely "enhanced" body caps.
    RichA, Mar 12, 2012
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 12, 1:37 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> The D7000 is due to be replaced this year, as are the D3100 and D300s.
    >> I hope that is an opportunity to design out any AF problems.  I didn't
    >> have any with mine, and it's long gone in any case.

    >I had mine for a week, and sold it to guy who worked for some
    >government agency and he was desperate for the D7000 for his work.
    >The bodies were in short supply then. First day I had it, everything
    >was OOF. Next day, no problem at all. Yes, it's DR and overall image
    >quality was very good. I still think Fuji's S5 was the best.

    It was the best DR at the time, but poor compared to the D7000 and
    Pentax K-5. It wasn't even much better than the Nikon D200 which
    effectively killed off the Fujifilm FinePix Pro S line of DSLRs.

    >I don't quite know what to make of Sony at this point. They've produced
    >a lot of cameras in a relatively short space of time though.

    Plenty of cameras, hardly any lenses,

    >> We have stock of the NEX-7 arriving at last but no good lenses for it
    >> apart from the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 which is expensive and in very
    >> short supply.  The result is that our pre-orders for the NEX-7 have
    >> been well below expectations.

    >That's too bad. But I have idea what Sony's production issues are
    >right now. Maybe it's not out of line expecting a kit lens that can
    >support 24mp on an APS to cost about 1/2 what the camera does, and
    >maybe its kit lens shouldn't try to compete on price with ones from
    >lesser cameras??

    The problem is investment. Because Sony is losing huge amounts of
    money, there is nothing left for investment in lenses. Nine lenses
    for NEX have been either deferred or cancelled.

    >Back when, no one I knew stayed with the Nikon 18-55mm. First chance
    >they got, they put on an 18-70mm, at least. Some kit lenses are
    >merely "enhanced" body caps.

    True. ;-)
    Bruce, Mar 13, 2012
  7. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > > It was the best DR at the time, but poor compared to the D7000 and
    > > Pentax K-5. It wasn't even much better than the Nikon D200 which
    > > effectively killed off the Fujifilm FinePix Pro S line of DSLRs.

    > I remember doing a test with a D200 and the Fuji, I shot a light
    > fixture. The D200 blew it out, couldn't be saved, but the Fuji held it
    > well. 13.5 stops of DR.

    not possible on a 12 bit a/d system.

    > As for the D200 killing the Fuji, true. The price was about 20% higher
    > than the Nikon I think. Funny thing is, a D200 can be had for $300 now,
    > the S5 still goes for $700 or more.

    the d200 didn't kill the fuji. the fuji killed the fuji.

    not too many people wanted to buy a d200 chassis with a fuji sensor
    that cost more than a real d200 and was a lot slower too.
    nospam, Mar 14, 2012