GF 6600GT AGP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by CSE, May 6, 2005.

  1. CSE

    CSE Guest

    Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards

    I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions

    Forum is

    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26

    The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800

    One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.

    One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    heat getting into the main core.

    One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html

    "Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "

    Thanks
    CSE, May 6, 2005

  2. CSE

    Nova Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >

    > I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    > but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >

    > Forum is
    >

    > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >

    > The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >

    > One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >

    > One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    > heat getting into the main core.
    >
    > One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >
    > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >

    > "Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    > fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    > core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    > that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >

    > Thanks

    tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.

    Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.

    having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.
    Nova, May 6, 2005

  3. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >>

    >> Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>

    >> I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    >> but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >>

    >> Forum is
    >>

    >> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >>

    >> The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >>

    >> One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >>

    >> One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    >> heat getting into the main core.
    >>
    >> One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >>
    >> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >>

    >> "Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    >> fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    >> core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    >> that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >
    >Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >
    >having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    Some brand of cards stick there heat sinks on with epoxy, but I have seen
    comments that it can come loose and crack..

    Toms has a mention of not holding the heat sink as it was easy to damage the
    chip, they do not fit buffers to stop the heat sink from rocking..
    CSE, May 6, 2005
  4. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >>

    >> Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>

    >> I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    >> but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >>

    >> Forum is
    >>

    >> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >>

    >> The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >>

    >> One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >>

    >> One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    >> heat getting into the main core.
    >>
    >> One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >>
    >> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >>

    >> "Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    >> fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    >> core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    >> that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >
    >Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >
    >having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    Can you give me a Link to the Review as I have been over it 10 times and
    can't find any review of the Sparkle..

    I am after a 6600GT AGP card.

    This was the main page I was on and only found this to do with 6600 Cards

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html

    Only found reference to 2 cards with AGP..
    CSE, May 6, 2005
  5. CSE

    James West Guest

    hmmm

    "CSE" <> wrote in message

    > Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards

    OK

    > I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with
    > nothing
    > but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions

    comments from the forum

    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP:

    "I had my card for 6 weeks and had zero problems!
    Gigabyte's 6600GT AGP is a great Card! "

    another:

    "BTW: I didn't have a single problem with this great card for last two
    months (i.e. since I bought this card)."

    sure some people have problems one of the posts has a how to make it work
    section thus:

    "What to do:

    1. You need lots of power. A good percentage -- OVER HALF --of the problems
    with this card are solved by addressing some aspect of the power issue,
    (including improperly seated cards). See post #3 on this as well. A lot of
    people are upgrading when buying this card, and many will need to upgrade
    their PSU as well. You cannot run this card on a 350 or even most 380 watt
    PSUs. It will die in anything 3D-- Games, demos, etc.. One manufacturer
    already raised their requirement for power to 450 Watts for this card.
    It does NOT matter what the manufacturer says on the box for the minimum
    spec. I've been using PCs since 1984. You should never trust minimum
    requirement lists. Manufacturers lie to make sales. One company lists 128mb
    as all the RAM you need!! You can't even run WinXP on that without it
    crashing nevermind playing games"

    I hope your power supply is up to it Roger?

    > Forum is
    >

    > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26

    sure there are problems, but not only with 6600GT there are posts from
    people with 6800, MX440 and 5600 and even 4600ti

    thats what forums are for people post for help with problems

    I read reviews which said there was problems with heat and heatsinks issue
    seemed to be instalation issues with people breaking the bond between HS
    and GPU

    maybe I am the lucky one to get a good card?

    James

    AMD64 3000+
    Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    1 Gig RAM 400
    Gigabyte 6600GT
    2x 120GB Seagate drives
    Asus DVRW
    LG CDWriter
    SBLive
    truepower Thermaltake 420W PSU
    3R System NEONlight case

    James West, May 6, 2005
  6. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >>

    >> Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>

    >> I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    >> but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >>

    >> Forum is
    >>

    >> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >>

    >> The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >>

    >> One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >>

    >> One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    >> heat getting into the main core.
    >>
    >> One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >>
    >> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >>

    >> "Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    >> fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    >> core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    >> that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >
    >Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >
    >having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
    did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.
    CSE, May 6, 2005
  7. CSE

    James West Guest

    my Gigabyte 6600GT has temp monitor
    works fine out of the box

    James West, May 6, 2005
  8. CSE

    steve Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >

    > I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with
    > nothing
    > but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions

    I posted about one. I've had it for a couple or three months now.....No
    problems.
    steve, May 6, 2005
  9. CSE

    Nova Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>CSE wrote:
    >>

    >>>Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>>

    >>>I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    >>>but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >>>

    >>>Forum is
    >>>

    >>>http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >>>

    >>>The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >>>

    >>>One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >>>

    >>>One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    >>>heat getting into the main core.
    >>>
    >>>One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >>>
    >>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >>>

    >>>"Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    >>>fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    >>>core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    >>>that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >>>

    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >>out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >>
    >>Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >>
    >>having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >>it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >>games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >>right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >>be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >>time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >>idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >>70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >>overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >>problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >>with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    > I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
    > did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.

    yeah that is weird, i can't find the review now either.. there was like
    a list of about 10 cards that tomshardware did, now i can only find them
    comparing about 4 cards.. very strange..

    yes i had to patch to get the temp monitoring, took about 30 seconds..
    dont let that influence your decision.
    Nova, May 7, 2005
  10. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 23:44:23 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >

    >> Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>

    >> I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with
    >> nothing
    >> but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions

    >I posted about one. I've had it for a couple or three months now.....No
    >problems.

    But what was it...?

    What brand and model etc..

    Thanks
    CSE, May 7, 2005
  11. CSE

    CSE Guest

    ATTN: STEVE Re: GF 6600GT AGP

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 23:44:23 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    What model did you get, I found your post but no mention of the Model..

    Thanks
    CSE, May 7, 2005
  12. CSE

    Nova Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>CSE wrote:
    >>

    >>>Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
    >>>

    >>>I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
    >>>but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
    >>>

    >>>Forum is
    >>>

    >>>http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6fe292a22fd1aa308638bffe8ecb4057&showforum=26
    >>>

    >>>The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
    >>>

    >>>One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
    >>>

    >>>One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
    >>>heat getting into the main core.
    >>>
    >>>One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
    >>>
    >>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
    >>>

    >>>"Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
    >>>fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
    >>>core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
    >>>that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
    >>>

    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >>out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >>
    >>Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >>
    >>having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >>it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >>games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >>right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >>be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >>time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >>idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >>70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >>overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >>problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >>with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    > I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
    > did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.

    OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up :)
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295

    Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards
    Nova, May 7, 2005
  13. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:39:46 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:

    >>>tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
    >>>out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
    >>>
    >>>Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
    >>>
    >>>having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
    >>>it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
    >>>games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
    >>>right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
    >>>be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
    >>>time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
    >>>idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
    >>>70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
    >>>overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
    >>>problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
    >>>with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

    >> I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
    >> did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.
    >>

    >OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up :)
    >http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
    >
    >Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

    Yes but they are not AGP cards..

    Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..
    CSE, May 7, 2005
  14. CSE

    Nova Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:39:46 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>CSE wrote:

    >>>I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
    >>>did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.
    >>>

    >>OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up :)
    >>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
    >>
    >>Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

    > Yes but they are not AGP cards..
    >
    > Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..

    Well as nvidia have pointed out about 100 times the only difference is
    between the agp and pci express is the hsi bridge, and the pci express
    ones are clocked a bit higher. that is the whole reason they used the
    bridge so there wasnt a difference and they didnt have to manufacture
    two completely different lines like ati did.
    Nova, May 7, 2005
  15. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 00:42:46 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:

    >>>OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up :)
    >>>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
    >>>
    >>>Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

    >> Yes but they are not AGP cards..
    >>
    >> Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..
    >>

    >Well as nvidia have pointed out about 100 times the only difference is
    >between the agp and pci express is the hsi bridge, and the pci express
    >ones are clocked a bit higher. that is the whole reason they used the
    >bridge so there wasnt a difference and they didnt have to manufacture
    >two completely different lines like ati did.

    The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
    limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

    Only a very few cards have it as part of the cooling fan, like the Prolink
    Pixelview and the No fan Gigabyte, I think there is one other, ah the
    Albatron..

    That is why some get far to hot like the Asus at 93c..
    CSE, May 7, 2005
  16. CSE

    gimp Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
    > limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

    i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
    41C idle... 52 at full load.
    gimp, May 8, 2005
  17. CSE

    Nova Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > CSE wrote:
    >
    >> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot
    >> due to the
    >> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

    > i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
    > 41C idle... 52 at full load.

    Yeah the sensor is for the gpu though, not the HSI bridge.
    Nova, May 8, 2005
  18. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 21:00:45 +1200, gimp <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
    >> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

    >i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
    >41C idle... 52 at full load.

    Do you have some fans around it..?

    Or a PCI slot fan etc..

    Or using Walter cooling..

    Case full of Fans ..??

    The Problem is that the heat from HSI heat sing flows up to the main heat
    sink..

    So having a fan blowing on it would help allot..
    CSE, May 8, 2005
  19. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 21:00:45 +1200, gimp <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
    >> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

    >i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
    >41C idle... 52 at full load.

    Only one shop listing it on Pricespy and its very very dear..?

    its the dearest one listed.$563inc

    And not even a Golden Sample..

    I can get a 6800 AGP cheaper, and it does not suffer from the HSI heat as it
    does not have one..
    CSE, May 8, 2005
  20. CSE

    gimp Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > Only one shop listing it on Pricespy and its very very dear..?
    >
    > its the dearest one listed.$563inc
    >
    > And not even a Golden Sample..
    >
    > I can get a 6800 AGP cheaper, and it does not suffer from the HSI heat as it
    > does not have one..

    i got mine from www.dtconline.co.nz for 500 inc GST. i don't know if
    they'll still have it in stock, very popular card. slightly more than
    most 6600GT's but it has VIVO.
    gimp, May 9, 2005