Gettting started

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Sean, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    hello everyone.

    i have a few questions about getting started in Microsoft Certification
    Programs. I do not work in the IT field but i am interested in doing so, i am
    fairly proficiant with computers and basic trouble shooting(PC, Mac and
    Linux) but what i am really interested in is learning Microsoft products, Mac
    makes a very nice system but they are few and far between and Linux, well I
    wont even get into Linux other than to say that people who think Linux is
    going to take off with the masses is not grounded in reality. So as far as
    getting into the IT field Microsoft is the obvious answer. My question is-
    where does one start? i assume with the MCDST,correct? The other thing that
    i have been confused about is the course itself and how it is administered. I
    have found information that says its a 3 day instructer lead class and other
    information that says you license software for 90 days(to study, i
    presume)which i believe costs about $350 and then take a test at a authorized
    testing center. Which is correct? or are they both correct and its up to you
    which way to go? I realize that some classes will be intructor led but i
    would like to start out at my own pace. I am sorry if this question gets
    asked all the time but i would really appreciate some feedback on the best
    way to get started.
    Thanks,
    Sean

    Sean, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Let me be even clearer, do i have to buy Microsoft's kit? can i i study on my
    own and then register for the test? what is recomended? Oh and for any
    elitests on this board, please dont bother with a reply.

    Sean, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Sean

    Wayne Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

    --

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
    of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
    masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
    - Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

    Wayne, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Sean

    T-Bone Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote
    > Oh and for any
    > elitests on this board, please dont bother with a reply.

    No elitests here. Just people tired of posters asking the same question over
    and over again without trying to find the answers themselves.

    > Let me be even clearer, do i have to buy Microsoft's kit? can i i study on

    my
    > own and then register for the test? what is recomended?

    Do it whichever way you like. Some people recommend setting up a test lab at
    home and learning that way. Others prefer classroom training. Or you can
    just study the books on your own (for recommendations on which book is the
    best, I would suggest you try google). In any case, there are no
    prerequisites for taking the exam.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Mar 11, 2005