    doesn't youtube work?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 16, 2008

  2. In article <g5lss8$ab6$>, Geopelia did write:

    > So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java on
    > please?

    I don't think you need to. Flash should be enough.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 17, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <g5lss8$ab6$>,
    says...
    > If I try to get youtube I get the message about needing the latest flash
    > player, or java is turned off.
    >
    > So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java on
    > please?
    >
    > And could it affect the rest of the computer?
    >
    > I followed the instructions on Google and got as far as Active Scripting .
    > It says check enabled. That is already checked, so is Java turned on? Why
    > doesn't youtube work?

    Yep, Java, *not* Javascript.

    You can get the latest Java (MS aren't allowed to package it in Windows
    anymore, so that's why you don't have it) from Sun...

    http://www.java.com/en/download/

    Should find youtube will work just fine now.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 17, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g5lss8$ab6$>,
    > says...
    >> If I try to get youtube I get the message about needing the latest flash
    >> player, or java is turned off.
    >>
    >> So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java on
    >> please?
    >>
    >> And could it affect the rest of the computer?
    >>
    >> I followed the instructions on Google and got as far as Active Scripting
    >> .
    >> It says check enabled. That is already checked, so is Java turned on? Why
    >> doesn't youtube work?

    > Yep, Java, *not* Javascript.
    >
    > You can get the latest Java (MS aren't allowed to package it in Windows
    > anymore, so that's why you don't have it) from Sun...
    >
    > http://www.java.com/en/download/
    >
    > Should find youtube will work just fine now.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you, I'll try that.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 17, 2008
  5. In <g5lss8$ab6$> Geopelia wrote:
    > If I try to get youtube I get the message about needing the latest
    > flash player, or java is turned off.
    >
    > So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java on
    > please?

    You don't need Java, but do need JavaScript turned on in your web
    browser. I turned off JavaScript and tried a YouTube video page and got
    this error:

    "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of
    Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

    Visit this page <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/> to confirm
    that you have Flash working correctly.
    This page <http://www.iatn.net/help/javascript/> will test that
    JavaScript is enabled and also has instructions for how to turn it on if
    needed.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 19, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <g5lss8$ab6$> Geopelia wrote:
    >> If I try to get youtube I get the message about needing the latest
    >> flash player, or java is turned off.
    >>
    >> So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java on
    >> please?

    > You don't need Java, but do need JavaScript turned on in your web
    > browser. I turned off JavaScript and tried a YouTube video page and got
    > this error:
    >
    > "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of *
    > Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
    >
    > Visit this page <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/> to confirm
    > that you have Flash working correctly.
    > This page <http://www.iatn.net/help/javascript/> will test that
    > JavaScript is enabled and also has instructions for how to turn it on if
    > needed.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Thank you. I tried both those websites.

    I have Adobe Flash Player 90.124.0 installed.

    Javascript test PASSED! no need to read any further So it says.

    So if I have both the things I need, why can't I get youtube? I get that
    message Hello* message above.

    I've found something about Shockwave player. Should I also install that? if
    I do, could it affect anything else in the computer?

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 19, 2008
  7. In <g5rqfv$vrm$> Geopelia wrote:

    > "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    >> In <g5lss8$ab6$> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> If I try to get youtube I get the message about needing the latest
    >>> flash player, or java is turned off.
    >>>
    >>> So I downloaded the latest flash player, but how would I turn java
    >>> on please?

    >> You don't need Java, but do need JavaScript turned on in your web
    >> browser. I turned off JavaScript and tried a YouTube video page and
    >> got this error:
    >>
    >> "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of *
    >> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
    >>
    >> Visit this page <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/> to
    >> confirm that you have Flash working correctly. This page <http://www.
    >> iatn.net/help/javascript/> will test that JavaScript is enabled and
    >> also has instructions for how to turn it on if needed.

    > Thank you. I tried both those websites.
    >
    > I have Adobe Flash Player 90.124.0 installed.
    >
    > Javascript test PASSED! no need to read any further So it says.
    >
    > So if I have both the things I need, why can't I get youtube? I get
    > that message Hello* message above.
    >
    > I've found something about Shockwave player. Should I also install
    > that? if I do, could it affect anything else in the computer?

    I don't have the the Shockwave plug-in on my browser and YouTube works
    fine. Both JavaScript and the Flash plug-in seem to be working on your
    web browser, so at this point I'm already stumped, sorry :eek:)

    I assume you've already tried rebooting? The only other thing I can
    think of is that Internet Explorer's security settings are set
    incorrectly. You can add a website to a restricted list in IE, which
    will then disable potential security risks such as scripting whenever it
    visits them. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing anyone would do
    accidentally, but you can check it by going to Tools > Internet Options
    > Security tab > Restricted Sites icon > Sites, and it will show any

    sites that have been added to the restricted list. While you're on the
    Security tab you could try clicking 'Reset all zones to default level',
    which will change all the security settings back to standard.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    > In <g5rqfv$vrm$> Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message

    >>> You don't need Java, but do need JavaScript turned on in your web
    >>> browser. I turned off JavaScript and tried a YouTube video page and
    >>> got this error:
    >>>
    >>> "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of *
    >>> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
    >>>
    >>> Visit this page <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/> to
    >>> confirm that you have Flash working correctly. This page <http://www.
    >>> iatn.net/help/javascript/> will test that JavaScript is enabled and
    >>> also has instructions for how to turn it on if needed.

    >> Thank you. I tried both those websites.
    >>
    >> I have Adobe Flash Player 90.124.0 installed.
    >>
    >> Javascript test PASSED! no need to read any further So it says.
    >>
    >> So if I have both the things I need, why can't I get youtube? I get
    >> that message Hello* message above.
    >>
    >> I've found something about Shockwave player. Should I also install
    >> that? if I do, could it affect anything else in the computer?

    > I don't have the the Shockwave plug-in on my browser and YouTube works
    > fine. Both JavaScript and the Flash plug-in seem to be working on your
    > web browser, so at this point I'm already stumped, sorry :eek:)
    >
    > I assume you've already tried rebooting? The only other thing I can
    > think of is that Internet Explorer's security settings are set
    > incorrectly. You can add a website to a restricted list in IE, which
    > will then disable potential security risks such as scripting whenever it
    > visits them. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing anyone would do
    > accidentally, but you can check it by going to Tools > Internet Options
    >> Security tab > Restricted Sites icon > Sites, and it will show any

    > sites that have been added to the restricted list. While you're on the
    > Security tab you could try clicking 'Reset all zones to default level',
    > which will change all the security settings back to standard.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    I found the Restricted Sites, but I haven't got any restricted sites in it.
    If I reset all zones to default level, is there any way to check what level
    the zones are at, first? I don't want to affect anything
    important accidentally.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    > In <g5rqfv$vrm$> Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message

    >>> You don't need Java, but do need JavaScript turned on in your web
    >>> browser. I turned off JavaScript and tried a YouTube video page and
    >>> got this error:
    >>>
    >>> "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of *
    >>> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
    >>>
    >>> Visit this page <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/> to
    >>> confirm that you have Flash working correctly. This page <http://www.
    >>> iatn.net/help/javascript/> will test that JavaScript is enabled and
    >>> also has instructions for how to turn it on if needed.

    >> Thank you. I tried both those websites.
    >>
    >> I have Adobe Flash Player 90.124.0 installed.
    >>
    >> Javascript test PASSED! no need to read any further So it says.
    >>
    >> So if I have both the things I need, why can't I get youtube? I get
    >> that message Hello* message above.
    >>
    >> I've found something about Shockwave player. Should I also install
    >> that? if I do, could it affect anything else in the computer?

    > I don't have the the Shockwave plug-in on my browser and YouTube works
    > fine. Both JavaScript and the Flash plug-in seem to be working on your
    > web browser, so at this point I'm already stumped, sorry :eek:)
    >
    > I assume you've already tried rebooting? The only other thing I can
    > think of is that Internet Explorer's security settings are set
    > incorrectly. You can add a website to a restricted list in IE, which
    > will then disable potential security risks such as scripting whenever it
    > visits them. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing anyone would do
    > accidentally, but you can check it by going to Tools > Internet Options
    >> Security tab > Restricted Sites icon > Sites, and it will show any

    > sites that have been added to the restricted list. While you're on the
    > Security tab you could try clicking 'Reset all zones to default level',
    > which will change all the security settings back to standard.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    After a power cut I got the message "attention no video input". I wasn't
    getting youtube before the power cut though.
    Would the video input have come back when I started the computer again? How
    do I check if there is a video input now please?
    If there isn't, how do I turn it on again?

    Thank you'
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 19, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> After a power cut I got the message "attention no video input". I wasn't
    >> getting youtube before the power cut though.
    >> Would the video input have come back when I started the computer again?
    >> How do I check if there is a video input now please?
    >> If there isn't, how do I turn it on again?

    > The "no video input" message is generated by the monitor when the computer
    > stops or the video cable becomes unplugged.
    >
    > It's a pretty safe guess that it's working again if you are posting to
    > usenet ;)

    So the message would just be because of the power cut?

    Geopelia, Jul 19, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I've been looking at the add on list again. I can see Adobe reader, and
    Shockwave Flash object, both enabled.

    Adobe says I've got Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 installed. Should that also
    appear on the add on list? It isn't there.

    Is that the problem? If so, how do I add Adobe Flash player to the add on
    list please? There doesn't seem to be anything there where an add on can be
    added on.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Aug 8, 2008