    (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    Chris Lim Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    > then they stop. This keeps happening.

    It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is too
    slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you should
    see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar represents how
    much of the video has loaded, the other represents how much has played.
    If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded' one then it will pause
    and wait for more of the video to load.

    I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
    completely loaded before watching the rest.
    Chris Lim, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    >> then they stop. This keeps happening.

    > It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is too
    > slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you should
    > see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar represents how
    > much of the video has loaded, the other represents how much has played.
    > If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded' one then it will pause
    > and wait for more of the video to load.
    >
    > I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
    > completely loaded before watching the rest.

    Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
    faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
    The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

    I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
    slow.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    Chris Lim Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
    > faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
    > The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

    Yes sorry, the moving circle shows what part of the video is playing
    and the red bar shows what has been loaded. If you pause the video, you
    should see the circle stop but the red bar continue to move. Once it's
    reached the end, you should be able to play the video again without any
    pauses.

    Chris
    Chris Lim, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    steve Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    > then they stop. This keeps happening.
    > I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
    > don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
    > this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
    > please?
    >
    > Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
    > instructions? If so I'll print it out.
    > (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Youtube uses the macromedia flashplayer I think.

    Works fine on my Linux systems.
    steve, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    steve Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
    > slow.

    That is a redundant statement.

    dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube delivers.

    They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.

    That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
    won't have a hope.

    That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
    broadband became much more common in huge numbers.
    steve, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > > Geopelia wrote:
    > > > I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so
    > > > plays, then they stop. This keeps happening.

    > > It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is
    > > too slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you
    > > should see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar
    > > represents how much of the video has loaded, the other represents
    > > how much has played. If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded'
    > > one then it will pause and wait for more of the video to load.
    > >
    > > I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
    > > completely loaded before watching the rest.
    > >

    > Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red
    > is faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
    > The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the
    > circle.
    > I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is
    > very slow.

    That's your problem. I have problems with some YouTube videos on
    'braodband'.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
    >> faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
    >> The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

    > Yes sorry, the moving circle shows what part of the video is playing
    > and the red bar shows what has been loaded. If you pause the video, you
    > should see the circle stop but the red bar continue to move. Once it's
    > reached the end, you should be able to play the video again without any
    > pauses.
    >
    > Chris

    The red bar would be the one that looks black on this monitor. I'll try
    pausing.
    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2006
  9. steve wrote:
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    >> then they stop. This keeps happening.
    >> I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
    >> don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
    >> this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
    >> please?
    >>
    >> Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
    >> instructions? If so I'll print it out.
    >> (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > Youtube uses the macromedia flashplayer I think.
    >
    > Works fine on my Linux systems.

    Apart from the sound going out of sync, I wouldnt call that fine....
    version 9 of flashplayer (which is meant to fix that problem) is not
    stable..
    Andrew Lambert, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
    >> slow.

    > That is a redundant statement.
    >
    > dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube
    > delivers.
    >
    > They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.
    >
    > That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
    > won't have a hope.
    >
    > That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
    > broadband became much more common in huge numbers.

    Oh Bother!
    I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces a
    reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having problems
    with it at present, and it is so expensive.

    Thank you.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Geopelia

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:38:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
    >>> slow.

    >> That is a redundant statement.
    >>
    >> dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube
    >> delivers.
    >>
    >> They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.
    >>
    >> That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
    >> won't have a hope.
    >>
    >> That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
    >> broadband became much more common in huge numbers.
    >>

    > Oh Bother!
    >I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces a
    >reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having problems
    >with it at present, and it is so expensive.

    You're right there. I wouldn't know what broadband to recommend to
    anyone in your position. The entry level plans are rubbish and any
    useful ones are too expensive.
    GraB, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:38:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> That is a redundant statement.
    >>>
    >>> dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube
    >>> delivers.
    >>>
    >>> They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.
    >>>
    >>> That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
    >>> won't have a hope.
    >>>
    >>> That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
    >>> broadband became much more common in huge numbers.
    >>>

    >> Oh Bother!
    >>I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces a
    >>reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having
    >>problems
    >>with it at present, and it is so expensive.
    >>

    > You're right there. I wouldn't know what broadband to recommend to
    > anyone in your position. The entry level plans are rubbish and any
    > useful ones are too expensive.

    I've found my speed, (I think) on my xtra connection box. 46.6kbs and 48.0
    kbs. So that is why it doesn't work.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2006
  13. Geopelia

    Sam Guest

    Sam, Nov 8, 2006
  14. Geopelia

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-07, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > (My red is faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).

    Could just be the (blue) VGA plug is loose , could be the monitor cable
    (some are easily replaced) if you manipulate it it may start working again...
    could be the video card or the monitor.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 8, 2006
  15. Geopelia

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-08, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> Geopelia wrote:

    >>> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    >>> then they stop. This keeps happening.
    >>> I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
    >>> don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
    >>> this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
    >>> please?

    >>> Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
    >>> instructions? If so I'll print it out.
    >>> (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)

    >> Youtube uses the macromedia flashplayer I think.

    >> Works fine on my Linux systems.

    > version 9 of flashplayer (which is meant to fix that problem) is not
    > stable..

    8's not real stable either... much better than the java plugin though.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 8, 2006
  16. Geopelia

    whome Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
    >then they stop. This keeps happening.
    > I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
    > don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
    > this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
    > please?
    >
    > Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
    > instructions? If so I'll print it out.
    > (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Frankly, a broadband connection does not cut it with You tube. I am on a
    3.5Mbps ADSL and I occasionally get this freezing too. It is basically that
    your connection is not fast enough to download the video fast enough to play
    it without freezing every so often.

    Broadband is a total joke in this country I'm afraid.
    whome, Nov 8, 2006
  17. Geopelia

    steve Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > Oh Bother!
    > I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces a
    > reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having problems
    > with it at present, and it is so expensive.

    Sorry to deliver bad news.

    I have been happy to pay over $100 / month (and often a lot more) for
    broadband since 1998. Compared to leased circuit of the same speed, that
    IS cheap. :)

    > Thank you.
    > Geopelia

    You can get ADSL these days from Xtra for about $30 / month. It won't be
    perfect, but it will be better than a dial-up modem.
    steve, Nov 8, 2006
  18. Geopelia

    steve Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > Apart from the sound going out of sync, I wouldnt call that fine....
    > version 9 of flashplayer (which is meant to fix that problem) is not
    > stable..

    Yeah...the sound is a little out of wack.....which is annoying.
    steve, Nov 8, 2006
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I'll try pausing.

    > Or download them and watch later
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/vra66

    Thank you. I've saved that website and will see what I can do with it, I
    don't understand much technology.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2006
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Oh Bother!
    >> I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces
    >> a reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having
    >> problems with it at present, and it is so expensive.

    > Sorry to deliver bad news.
    >
    > I have been happy to pay over $100 / month (and often a lot more) for
    > broadband since 1998. Compared to leased circuit of the same speed, that
    > IS cheap. :)
    >
    >> Thank you.
    >> Geopelia

    > You can get ADSL these days from Xtra for about $30 / month. It won't be
    > perfect, but it will be better than a dial-up modem.

    We are thinking of getting a reverse mortgage with Sentinel. If we do, I
    will be able to afford broadband when they get all the bugs out of it.
    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2006