    how I found out about new settings), but still can't get it to work. I
    can get but not send mail at persent.

    , Aug 23, 2007

  2. none Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone been able to get this to work?

    Not that I agree with Xtra's changes or this storm associated with them
    - but realistically, you should be upgrading your software.

    NS4.79 isn't really equipped for todays interweb.

    none, Aug 23, 2007

  3. On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, wrote:

    > New settings are supposed to be.
    >
    > POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
    > SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
    >
    > I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

    Both are non-standard port settings.

    They will break many applications that expect default port settings.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Shane Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> New settings are supposed to be.
    >>
    >> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
    >> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
    >>
    >> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

    > Both are non-standard port settings.
    >
    > They will break many applications that expect default port settings.

    port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
    port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl

    $ grep 465 /etc/services
    ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
    $ grep 995 /etc/services
    pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
    pop3s 995/udp

    --
    Q: What is very old, used by farmers, and obeys the fundamental theorem of
    arithmetic?

    Shane, Aug 23, 2007
  5. On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:13:56 +1200, Shane wrote:

    >>> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

    >> Both are non-standard port settings.
    >>
    >> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
    >>

    > port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl port 465 is the standard
    > port for smtp over ssl

    Yes - but they're not the standard ports used for POP and SMTP as used by
    the majority.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 23, 2007
  6. Shane Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> Both are non-standard port settings.
    >>>
    >>> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
    >>>

    >> port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl port 465 is the standard
    >> port for smtp over ssl

    > Yes - but they're not the standard ports used for POP and SMTP as used by
    > the majority.

    *shakes head*
    FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail (the
    clients I have set up have not had to change)
    Anytime you want to learn something let the group know.
    --
    Q: What do you get when you cross a mosquito with a rock climber?
    A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector and a scalar.

    Shane, Aug 23, 2007
  7. On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Shane Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    > Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

    OK numbnuts, what do you think POP3 over SSL and SMTP over SSL mean?
    --
    Q: What did the constipated mathematician do?
    A: He worked it out with a pencil!

    Shane, Aug 23, 2007
  9. XPD Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    > Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

    Theyre standard for those ISPs that use SSL.
    IHUG use to have SSL, dont know if they still do tho.

    XPD, Aug 23, 2007
  10. Rob S Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone been able to get this to work?
    >
    > New settings are supposed to be.
    >
    > POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
    > SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
    >
    > I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them. It was
    > working fine until this yahoo-bubble crap. I've signed up (which is
    > how I found out about new settings), but still can't get it to work. I
    > can get but not send mail at persent.

    I doubt anyone in this group remembers how to setup ns4, except maybe
    Woger, who seems to be going backwards lately.

    Try the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    You know when you've been online too long when...You say BRB because
    you're going somewhere.

    Rob S, Aug 23, 2007
  11. sam Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> New settings are supposed to be.
    >>>
    >>> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
    >>> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
    >>>
    >>> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

    >> Both are non-standard port settings.
    >>
    >> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
    >>

    > port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
    > port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl
    >
    > $ grep 465 /etc/services
    > ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
    > $ grep 995 /etc/services
    > pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
    > pop3s 995/udp

    Its similar to setting up a mail client for gmail which is
    pop.googlemail.com on 995 and smtp.googlemail.com on 587.
    Nothing breaks, these are port numbers reserved for the purpose, just
    enter the settings in your mail client.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers#Ports_0_to_1023

    sam, Aug 23, 2007
  12. In message <>, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    > Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

    That's because they're not serving "regular" POP and SMTP.

    Put it another way: think of the old ports as the "Dimdows" of POP and SMTP
    ports, and the new ports as the "Linux" of e-mail. Does that make you feel
    better?

    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 23, 2007
  13. sam Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    >> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

    > That's because they're not serving "regular" POP and SMTP.
    >
    > Put it another way: think of the old ports as the "Dimdows" of POP and SMTP
    > ports, and the new ports as the "Linux" of e-mail. Does that make you feel
    > better?
    >
    > :)

    <retch>

    sam, Aug 23, 2007
  14. Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

    >> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.
    >>

    > OK numbnuts, what do you think POP3 over SSL and SMTP over SSL mean?

    It's actually using TLS, not SSL.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2007
  15. Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.
    >>>

    >> OK numbnuts, what do you think POP3 over SSL and SMTP over SSL mean?
    > >

    > It's actually using TLS, not SSL.

    Take that back.

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2007
  16. Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> New settings are supposed to be.
    >>>
    >>> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
    >>> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
    >>>
    >>> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

    >> Both are non-standard port settings.
    >>
    >> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
    >>

    > port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
    > port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl
    >
    > $ grep 465 /etc/services
    > ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
    > $ grep 995 /etc/services
    > pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
    > pop3s 995/udp

    While you are correct and Lennier is wrong, the use of separate ports is
    discouraged in the RFC:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2595.html

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2007
  17. Shane Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.
    >>>

    >> OK numbnuts, what do you think POP3 over SSL and SMTP over SSL mean?
    > >

    > It's actually using TLS, not SSL.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    http://sial.org/howto/openssl/tls-name/
    The encryption protocol SSL is now named TLS, resulting in two names for the
    same protocol. Current software will negotiate TLS version 1 or SSL version
    3 automatically. Humans, on the other hand, have to decide between using
    the more recognizable SSL term versus the official TLS designation.

    SSL is half right, but TLS is better.
    --
    Q: What is clear and used by trendy sophisticated engineers to solve other
    differential equations?

    Shane, Aug 23, 2007
  18. In message <46cd48ef$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> Both are non-standard port settings.
    >>>
    >>> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
    >>>

    >> port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
    >> port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl
    >>
    >> $ grep 465 /etc/services
    >> ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
    >> $ grep 995 /etc/services
    >> pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
    >> pop3s 995/udp
    >>

    > While you are correct and Lennier is wrong, the use of separate ports is
    > discouraged in the RFC:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2595.html

    Everybody should start using SRV records right now. Down with fixed port
    numbers!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 23, 2007
  19. Jason Rumney Guest

    On 23 Aug, 09:50, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > http://sial.org/howto/openssl/tls-name/
    > The encryption protocol SSL is now named TLS, resulting in two names for the
    > same protocol.

    Not quite. TLS and SSL operate at different layers in the network
    stack, so the method of negotiating the initial connection is
    different. With SSL you connect to a server via SSL then start talking
    whatever protocol (POP, SMTP in this case). For TLS, you connect to
    the server on the standard non-SSL port (110 for POP, 587 for mail
    submission) and issue the STARTTLS command to start negotiating
    encryption. This means that servers can handle unencrypted sessions
    and TLS encrypted sessions on the same port if desired, but it also
    means the server application needs to be TLS aware. With SSL you are
    forced into using SSL on that port, but you can use SSL wrappers to
    encrypt a session to a server application that does not itself support
    encryption.

    Jason Rumney, Aug 23, 2007
  20. Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46cd48ef$>, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
    >>> port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl
    >>>
    >>> $ grep 465 /etc/services
    >>> ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
    >>> $ grep 995 /etc/services
    >>> pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
    >>> pop3s 995/udp
    >>>

    >> While you are correct and Lennier is wrong, the use of separate ports is
    >> discouraged in the RFC:
    >>
    >> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2595.html

    > Everybody should start using SRV records right now. Down with fixed port
    > numbers!

    Why yes, and good on Microsoft for popularising them in Active Directory.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2007