    Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a white
    elephant since xp is based on nt?
    Joy
    Joy, Sep 21, 2006

  2. In message <eet6rh$7bm$>, Joy wrote:

    > I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    > allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    > for this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    > "this utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows
    > NT."

    Could try running it under FreeDOS.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Joy

    Shane Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    > allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    > for this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    > "this utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows
    > NT."
    >

    > Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    > white elephant since xp is based on nt?
    > Joy

    Option 3) Boot to a dos floppy?
    A windows 98 startup disk is native DOS isnt it?

    --
    [The trio is at a Beastie Boys' concert]
    Leela [checking her wrist-thing]: They are laying down mad beats with 80%

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 21, 2006
  4. Joy

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, Joy wrote:

    > I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    > allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix for
    > this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note "this
    > utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."
    >

    > Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a white
    > elephant since xp is based on nt?
    > Joy

    This might help
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpmsdos.html
    Earl Grey, Sep 21, 2006
  5. Joy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, Joy wrote:

    > Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a white
    > elephant since xp is based on nt?

    IT means you should download FreeDOS 1.0 and put that floppy disc into
    your PC and boot from that. :eek:)

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Sep 21, 2006
  6. On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix for
    >this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note "this
    >utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."
    >

    >Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a white
    >elephant since xp is based on nt?
    >Joy

    Because Microsoft Windows XP is NT based (Well, not realy /based/ but
    rather it /is/ Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.1) you cant get it
    to boot into MS-DOS mode as it doesnt have one. You will need an
    MS-DOS boot disk

    You should be able to use any MS-DOS boot disk. This includes MS-DOS
    6.22 and 7. Any version of Windows 4.x (95/98/ME) should be able to
    create a boot disk for you from the control panel - "Add/Remove
    programs" I think. If you dont have access to any machines running
    Windows 4 then I could probabily email you such a bootdisk as a
    self-extracting disk image.
    David Goodwin, Sep 21, 2006
  7. Joy

    Joy Guest

    <dgsoftnz[nospam]gmail.invalid (David Goodwin)> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >>allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    >>for
    >>this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    >>"this
    >>utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."
    >>

    >>Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    >>white
    >>elephant since xp is based on nt?
    >>Joy

    > Because Microsoft Windows XP is NT based (Well, not realy /based/ but
    > rather it /is/ Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.1) you cant get it
    > to boot into MS-DOS mode as it doesnt have one. You will need an
    > MS-DOS boot disk
    >
    > You should be able to use any MS-DOS boot disk. This includes MS-DOS
    > 6.22 and 7. Any version of Windows 4.x (95/98/ME) should be able to
    > create a boot disk for you from the control panel - "Add/Remove
    > programs" I think. If you dont have access to any machines running
    > Windows 4 then I could probabily email you such a bootdisk as a
    > self-extracting disk image.

    No, none of our machines have floppy drives and I do have a 98boot disc
    somewhere. Could I write that to CD, I think the cdrom is first to boot on
    that pc.
    Joy
    Joy, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, Joy wrote:
    >
    >> Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    >> white
    >> elephant since xp is based on nt?

    > IT means you should download FreeDOS 1.0 and put that floppy disc into
    > your PC and boot from that. :eek:)

    Thanks, I didn't know about FreeDOS 1.0 and I would have to write it to CD,
    no floppy drives anywhere in the house anymore!
    Joy
    Joy, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Joy

    Earl Grey Guest

    http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=88
    Earl Grey, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Joy

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-21, Joy <> wrote:
    > I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    > allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix for
    > this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note "this
    > utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."

    download a freedos, opendos, or rsdos doot disk image and write it to a
    floppy, of if you've got 98 95 or me boot the recovery floppy.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Joy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix for
    >this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note "this
    >utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."
    >

    > Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    > white elephant since xp is based on nt?
    > Joy

    Check the Google search results first. You might have to try other words in
    the search especially the model of the drive - pioneer dvd writer multi
    region on xp is the search below.
    Your help is from searching Google unless someone here is using what you've
    got on XP.

    E. Scrooge

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...pioneer dvd writer multi region on xp&spell=1
    E. Scrooge, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Joy

    Joy Guest

    > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >>allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    >>for this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    >>"this utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows
    >>NT."
    >>

    >> Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    >> white elephant since xp is based on nt?
    >> Joy

    > Check the Google search results first. You might have to try other words
    > in the search especially the model of the drive - pioneer dvd writer multi
    > region on xp is the search below.
    > Your help is from searching Google unless someone here is using what
    > you've got on XP.
    >
    > E. Scrooge
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...pioneer dvd writer multi region on xp&spell=1

    Thanks
    Joy, Sep 21, 2006
  13. Joy

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-21, Joy <> wrote:
    >> You should be able to use any MS-DOS boot disk. This includes MS-DOS
    >> 6.22 and 7. Any version of Windows 4.x (95/98/ME) should be able to
    >> create a boot disk for you from the control panel - "Add/Remove
    >> programs" I think. If you dont have access to any machines running
    >> Windows 4 then I could probabily email you such a bootdisk as a
    >> self-extracting disk image.

    > No, none of our machines have floppy drives and I do have a 98boot disc
    > somewhere. Could I write that to CD,

    It would be kind of hard to do that without a floppy drive don't you think?

    but were you equipped that would work. I know the steps required to do that in
    linux (mkisofs) but have zero clue with windows software.

    If 98 will boot from the CD you could use that cd, just abort it when it
    asks if you want the installer...

    I can email you a bootable dos ISO for you to burn to cd

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 21, 2006
  14. Joy

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:01:43 +0000, jasen wrote:

    > It would be kind of hard to do that without a floppy drive don't you think?
    >
    > but were you equipped that would work. I know the steps required to do that in
    > linux (mkisofs) but have zero clue with windows software.
    >
    > If 98 will boot from the CD you could use that cd, just abort it when it
    > asks if you want the installer...
    >
    > I can email you a bootable dos ISO for you to burn to cd

    There is a link to a bunch of msdos bootable cd images available for free
    download earlier in the thread
    Earl Grey, Sep 22, 2006
  15. Joy

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:14:36 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <eet6rh$7bm$>, Joy wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >> allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    >> for this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    >> "this utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows
    >> NT."

    >Could try running it under FreeDOS.

    Format a Floppy Generate a MS-DOS boot up Disk..

    But that might not have the ROM Drivers on it, I use a Win98 floppy
    and that does.
    Jack Hammond, Sep 22, 2006
  16. Joy

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:58:14 +1200, "Joy" <> wrote:

    ><dgsoftnz[nospam]gmail.invalid (David Goodwin)> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >>>allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    >>>for
    >>>this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    >>>"this
    >>>utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows NT."
    >>>

    >>>Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    >>>white
    >>>elephant since xp is based on nt?
    >>>Joy

    >> Because Microsoft Windows XP is NT based (Well, not realy /based/ but
    >> rather it /is/ Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.1) you cant get it
    >> to boot into MS-DOS mode as it doesnt have one. You will need an
    >> MS-DOS boot disk
    >>
    >> You should be able to use any MS-DOS boot disk. This includes MS-DOS
    >> 6.22 and 7. Any version of Windows 4.x (95/98/ME) should be able to
    >> create a boot disk for you from the control panel - "Add/Remove
    >> programs" I think. If you dont have access to any machines running
    >> Windows 4 then I could probabily email you such a bootdisk as a
    >> self-extracting disk image.

    >No, none of our machines have floppy drives and I do have a 98boot disc
    >somewhere. Could I write that to CD, I think the cdrom is first to boot on
    >that pc.
    >Joy

    Nearly all this firmware up date stuff runs from a Floppy..
    Jack Hammond, Sep 22, 2006
  17. Joy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on
    >>> a white
    >>> elephant since xp is based on nt?

    >> IT means you should download FreeDOS 1.0 and put that floppy disc
    >> into your PC and boot from that. :eek:)

    > Thanks, I didn't know about FreeDOS 1.0 and I would have to write it
    > to CD, no floppy drives anywhere in the house anymore!

    The images for FreeDOS are for burning onto CD:
    http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

    The only mirror that has the 1.0 release currently is ibiblio and
    ibiblio is almost always painfully slow. It took me several hours to
    get all 4 ISO images when normally it would only be a matter of minutes
    using a fast mirror or bittorrent.

    Chris Hope, Sep 22, 2006
  18. Joy

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:59:43 +1200, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:18 +1200, Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does this mean I can't use the fix and that I've spent good money on a
    >>> white
    >>> elephant since xp is based on nt?

    >> IT means you should download FreeDOS 1.0 and put that floppy disc into
    >> your PC and boot from that. :eek:)

    >Thanks, I didn't know about FreeDOS 1.0 and I would have to write it to CD,
    >no floppy drives anywhere in the house anymore!
    >Joy

    You will still need the CD ROM Drivers loaded, as you will not be able to access the CD-ROM from
    DOS..
    Jack Hammond, Sep 22, 2006
  19. Joy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Joy wrote:
    >

    >> "MaHogany" <> wrote in message

    >>> IT means you should download FreeDOS 1.0 and put that floppy disc
    >>> into your PC and boot from that. :eek:)

    >> Thanks, I didn't know about FreeDOS 1.0 and I would have to write it
    >> to CD, no floppy drives anywhere in the house anymore!

    > The images for FreeDOS are for burning onto CD:
    > http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/
    >
    > The only mirror that has the 1.0 release currently is ibiblio and
    > ibiblio is almost always painfully slow. It took me several hours to
    > get all 4 ISO images when normally it would only be a matter of
    > minutes using a fast mirror or bittorrent.

    Correction -- after a more close examination of the link I supplied
    there are now a number of mirrors that have been updated with the 1.0
    release. You would certainly want to choose one other than the ibiblio
    one for a quick download.

    Chris Hope, Sep 22, 2006
  20. Joy

    Taranis Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:22:52 +1200, Jack Hammond wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:14:36 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <eet6rh$7bm$>, Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a new pioneer dvd writer loaded on another machine which refuses to
    >>> allow a change of region, it's set to region one. Pioneer EU has a fix
    >>> for this and the first command is "Boot the PC in real MS-DOS mode", note
    >>> "this utility works neither on MS-DOS window, on Windows9x nor Windows
    >>> NT."

    >>Could try running it under FreeDOS.

    > Format a Floppy Generate a MS-DOS boot up Disk..

    This would help the OP how ?

    to quote

    >>Thanks, I didn't know about FreeDOS 1.0 and I would have to write it to
    >>CD,
    >>no floppy drives anywhere in the house anymore! Joy

    Basically if your xp computer is formatted in ntfs then win 98 or dos
    will not be able to access the hard drive to get the file so you will need
    to have it on a dos or win98 readable cd. If you do have a win98 cd lying
    around you can use this to start computer with cdrom support. Make sure
    your bios is set to boot from cd first though. You should then be able to
    swap cd's and access the one with the file on it.
    Taranis, Sep 22, 2006