    What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
    how you accomplished it.

    -Alexei

    ialexei, Oct 8, 2003

  2. ialexei

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    ialexei <> wrote:
    > I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
    > features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
    > I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
    > mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
    > ATA instead).
    >
    > What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
    > how you accomplished it.

    1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.

    2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
    probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
    basement.

    3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
    sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.

    4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
    external wiring.

    5) Verify that you no longer have dial tone at any jack in your house.

    6) Reconnect and verify that you DO have dial tone.

    7) Now that you know how to disconnect it, and are absolutely sure that
    disconnecting it cut off every jack you'll ever use, you can just leave the
    outside disconnected, and plug the ATA-186 into any spare phone jack (use
    the "line 1" connector on the ATA-186. If you have a phone you want to use
    there too, just get one of those tiny splitters for $1).

    8) It's possible that you have weird wiring topology problems which lead to
    less-than-perfect results this way. In that case you should bring the thing
    to the basement and connect it the same way the phone company line was
    connected. This probably won't be necessary though.

    If it's too late and your Verizon line has already been disconnected, I
    personally wouldn't try connecting the ATA-186 to my wiring unless I
    understood my home's phone wiring topology well and could confirm that
    there weren't any other old ingress points for phone lines.

    miguel
    Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 8, 2003

  3. ialexei

    Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:

    > 1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.
    >
    > 2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
    > probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
    > basement.
    >
    > 3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
    > sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.
    >
    > 4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
    > external wiring.
    >
    > 5) Verify that you no longer have dial tone at any jack in your house.
    >
    > 6) Reconnect and verify that you DO have dial tone.
    >
    > 7) Now that you know how to disconnect it, and are absolutely sure that
    > disconnecting it cut off every jack you'll ever use, you can just leave the
    > outside disconnected, and plug the ATA-186 into any spare phone jack (use
    > the "line 1" connector on the ATA-186. If you have a phone you want to use
    > there too, just get one of those tiny splitters for $1).
    >
    > 8) It's possible that you have weird wiring topology problems which lead to
    > less-than-perfect results this way. In that case you should bring the thing
    > to the basement and connect it the same way the phone company line was
    > connected. This probably won't be necessary though.
    >
    > If it's too late and your Verizon line has already been disconnected, I
    > personally wouldn't try connecting the ATA-186 to my wiring unless I
    > understood my home's phone wiring topology well and could confirm that
    > there weren't any other old ingress points for phone lines.
    >
    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
    > Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

    Or, use a cordless phone. ;-)

    , Oct 8, 2003
  4. ialexei

    Plato Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:23:57 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

    >ialexei <> wrote:
    >> I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
    >> features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
    >> I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
    >> mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
    >> ATA instead).
    >>
    >> What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
    >> how you accomplished it.

    >1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.
    >
    >2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
    >probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
    >basement.
    >
    >3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
    >sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.
    >
    >4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
    >external wiring.

    wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

    Plato, Oct 8, 2003
  5. ialexei

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Plato <> wrote:
    > (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >> ialexei <> wrote:
    >>> I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
    >>> features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
    >>> I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
    >>> mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
    >>> ATA instead).

    >> 4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from
    >> the external wiring.

    > wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

    Excellent point. If he's got DSL with a provider that does line sharing,
    then some splitter gymnastics and possibly additional wiring will be
    required.

    On the other hand, he also won't be able to cancel his Verizon line anyway
    in that case.

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 8, 2003
  6. ialexei

    ialexei Guest

    Thank you for the excellent advice.
    I have cable not DSL.

    ialexei, Oct 13, 2003
  7. ialexei

    root Guest

    I thought Vonage uses and FXS device made by Cisco with model ATA-186.

    ialexei wrote:

    > Thank you for the excellent advice.
    > I have cable not DSL.
    >
    > (Miguel Cruz) wrote in message
    >> Plato <> wrote:

    >> > wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

    >> Excellent point. If he's got DSL with a provider that does line sharing,
    >> then some splitter gymnastics and possibly additional wiring will be
    >> required.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, he also won't be able to cancel his Verizon line
    >> anyway in that case.
    >>
    >> miguel

    root/administrator

    root, Oct 13, 2003
  8. ialexei

    Alan Spicer Guest

    "Plato" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:23:57 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >
    > wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

    * You know ... you've got a point there ... if you had DSL on a line and you
    disconnected it you would no longer have DSL and your Vonage Service would
    not work so good ;-)

    But if they've got Cable (or something else like Fiber to the Home) they
    might be ok.

    I live in an apartment and I remember awhile back locating my phone line
    pairs (I've got 2 lines) out in the meter room on the Telco 110 block. I
    think I actually took a princess phone rigged to be a simple butt set
    (simple test set) and did the dial test that reads the phone number. I think
    I might have tested first with a cordless phone ... took my best guess
    (because two lines close together might be connected sequentially together
    on the board ... and disconnected on wire of a pair and heard the dial-tone
    drop. Then dialed 200-555-1212 after reconnecting it and the phone number
    was correct.

    The point is ... in an apartment or condo or similar you'd have to have it
    disconnected out in the meter or telco room.

    Another trick might be to figure out by exploration where your line pairs
    are first connected at your premises. I think many are like mine were here
    in an apartment. After taking the cover off of the Kitchen wall phone jack
    .... I found that this was the cross-connect where the other outlets were
    connected in the apartment. (Actually there was only 1 other outlet here).
    There is also two pairs of wires ... in a single jack wall outlet they are
    Red/Green and Black/Yellow. You gotta make sure that you are dealing with
    the right phone line (pair of wires). In my case the 2nd pair wasn't cross
    connected into the bedroom. (How many people have a 2nd line, right?). Also
    they recently installed an alarm system and extended an additional outlet to
    a third room for the alarm system to dial out on. I didn't want the alarm
    anyway but I did like that I could now put the 2nd line into the kids room.
    I think I switched the ordering of the 1st and second lines so that a normal
    single line phone could get the 2nd line in the kids room, but my room and
    the kitchen still had them in the original order (for two line phones).

    Anyway my long drawn out explanation tells you basically that you could make
    sure that all possible incoming lines are disconnected at the main jack (as
    the other guy said ... best tested with a live TELCO dial-tone) and then
    your inside wiring becomes solely your own ... you would then be off the
    grid of the TELCO switch.

    Be darned CAREFULL!!!! Because these wires contain voltage. You could get a
    pretty good electrical shock.

    Oh and you probably should tag anything that you remove ... probably with a
    note not to reconnect without the homeowners permission. And document
    anything you do so if you move others (like the TELCO) might have a clue.

    This is a pretty good link with wiring colors that telco uses
    http://www.connectworld.net/global/tech_info_default100.htm.

    ---
    Alan Spicer ()
    http://aspicer.homelinux.net/
    aspicer3764.tsps2.freenet6.net 3ffe:bc0:8000::14b3
    Systems and Network Administration,
    and Telecommunications
    (954) 977-5245

    Alan Spicer, Oct 13, 2003
  9. ialexei

    Alan Spicer Guest

    * That's a good question, right? The wall jack in your home is what? FXS
    right? And the ATA-186 is what? FXS right? And your standard telephone is
    what? FXO right?

    You can't connect an FXS to an FXS, nor an FXO to an FXO right? (usually
    right!)

    Normally these things are true when you are talking about live services
    (e.g. from TELCO CO to your home jacks) and Telephone devices. You have to
    have an FXO device to connect to the TELCO jack which is FXS.

    But what happened when the TELCO wiring was disconnected from your home FXS
    jack? It isn't there anymore is it? So what if we replace the FXS service
    that the TELCO provided with one that ATA-186 provides?

    You are basically doing connection replacing the TELCO, right?? The wiring
    of the jack to the other jacks in the home should be just parallel connected
    copper wires right? The pins should be the same. Tip-1 and Ring-1. Tell me
    if I am wrong but this just extends the ATA-186 to the house telephone
    wiring and jacks.

    FXS -> points to the subscriber
    FXO -> points to the Central Office

    The ATA is now the Central Office. And it just got connected to your house
    wiring as if it were coming in from outside from the TELCO.

    Here's an interesting site ...
    http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

    "root" <,> wrote in message

    > I thought Vonage uses and FXS device made by Cisco with model ATA-186.
    >

    > ialexei wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for the excellent advice.
    > > I have cable not DSL.

    > root/administrator