Getting Virus laden mails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jaycee, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Jaycee

    Jaycee Guest

    Hi All,
    Some time back I had opened a free POP account at
    hotpop.com(mynameAThotpopDOTcom).Recently (a fortnight) I have been
    getting mails at my hotpop account from my own mail address
    (mynameAThotpopDOTcom)containing W32.Mydoom@mm virus which NAV is
    promptly deleting.
    I am sending the text of the accompanying message verbatim for your
    necessary advice please.

    "Dear user of hotpop.com, Mail system administrator of hotpop.com would
    like to let you know that.
    Your account has been used to send a huge amount of spam during this
    week.
    Probably, your computer had been infected by a recent virus and now runs
    a trojaned proxy server.
    Please follow instruction in order to keep your computer safe.
    Virtually yours,
    The hotpop.com team."

    The accompanying zip file contained the virus.
    NAV gives the following in its log

    "12/2/2004 6:35:57 AM,Virus scanner, (Virus Name)W32.Mydoom.M@mm,
    (Action Taken)Automatically deleted, ( Item Type )File,
    (Target) N/A, (Suspicious action) N/A, (Username) My username, (Computer
    name) XXX,"Source: ,Description: The email
    attachment is infected with the W32.Mydoom.M@mm
    virus.""

    I am on XP-Pro+sp1; on Dial-up and am running regularly ,from before,
    the latest and updated versions of NAV-2003;Adaware SE-personal
    1.05;Spybots&d 1.3.1TX;
    Spywareblaster V3.2; A-squared free v 1.5.1.
    FF 1.0; TB 0.9 and Zone alarm v 5.5.062.000

    Being unaware of computer technicalities would like your advice
    regarding the steps I ought to take. BTW I send very few mails but do
    receive some, from different associations I am a member of.( hence the
    hotpop a/c)
    ( I Have stopped using this hotpop account smtp and am deleting
    suspicious mails from the web interface prior to D/L to TB)

    Please excuse my long and perhaps foolish mail.

    TIA

    --
    Jaycee
    drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    Jaycee, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Jaycee

    Hammerer Guest

    "Jaycee" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,

    Hi!

    > Some time back I had opened a free POP account at
    > hotpop.com(mynameAThotpopDOTcom).Recently
    > (a fortnight) I have been getting mails at my hotpop
    > account from my own mail address

    Christ, Jaycee! No! If I've said this once, I've said it 247 times - you
    should NEVER send emails to yourself. Never! For a start, they may contain
    virii, then you'd be in a position where you'd have to report yourself to
    the authorities. Next thing you know, you retaliate by sending one BACK to
    yourself, ad infinitum. Is this nightmare worth the hassle? No - it's damn
    well not!

    > (mynameAThotpopDOTcom)containing W32.Mydoom@mm virus
    > which NAV is promptly deleting.

    I knew it. I just knew it! What have I just said?

    > The accompanying zip file contained the virus.
    > NAV gives the following in its log
    >
    > I am on XP-Pro+sp1; on Dial-up and am running regularly ,from before,
    > the latest and updated versions of NAV-2003;Adaware SE-personal
    > 1.05;Spybots&d 1.3.1TX;
    > Spywareblaster V3.2; A-squared free v 1.5.1.
    > FF 1.0; TB 0.9 and Zone alarm v 5.5.062.000

    Nice, Jaycee. That lot should stop you from sending virii to yourself.
    Unfortunately, it also means that you'll have difficulty sending yourself
    one back, as you've got EXACTLY the same software as you have, if you get my
    meaning.

    > Being unaware of computer technicalities would like your advice
    > regarding the steps I ought to take.

    Best thing to do, Jaycee, is simply to write to yourself and tell you not to
    send any more emails to yourself. Be polite, but firm - and if you give
    yourself any shit, come down on yourself like a ton of bricks. The long and
    short of it is - take no shit from you.

    > BTW I send very few mails but do
    > receive some

    Well - you obviously receive EVERY email you send to yourself. That's the
    problem.

    > ( I Have stopped using this hotpop account smtp and am deleting
    > suspicious mails from the web interface prior to D/L to TB)

    Good thing too. It'll definitely stop this whole nightmare rollercoaster at
    its source.

    > Please excuse my long and perhaps foolish mail.

    Heh!

    Hammerer, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Jaycee

    °Mike° Guest

    First of all, do you have permission to use "invalid.com"
    in your usenet email address? It is a valid domain, and
    should NOT be used. To learn how to munge your email
    address, please read the following, taking particular note
    about using "invalid" as a TLD, ie: lid

    Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address

    On to your question, your hotpop address has probably
    been harvested by a "bot"; internet worms spoof email
    addresses. But in the event that your system may have
    been infected, please run AT LEAST two online antivirus
    scanners:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 06:46:08 +0530, in
    <vggulz9iw87z.j9nzqx08qc99$>
    Jaycee scrawled:

    >Hi All,
    >Some time back I had opened a free POP account at
    >hotpop.com(mynameAThotpopDOTcom).Recently (a fortnight) I have been
    >getting mails at my hotpop account from my own mail address
    >(mynameAThotpopDOTcom)containing W32.Mydoom@mm virus which NAV is
    >promptly deleting.
    >I am sending the text of the accompanying message verbatim for your
    >necessary advice please.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Jaycee

    Jaycee Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 01:34:18 -0000, Hammerer wrote:

    > "Jaycee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>

    > Hi!
    >>
    >> Some time back I had opened a free POP account at
    >> hotpop.com(mynameAThotpopDOTcom).Recently
    >> (a fortnight) I have been getting mails at my hotpop
    >> account from my own mail address
    >>

    > Christ, Jaycee! No! If I've said this once, I've said it 247 times - you
    > should NEVER send emails to yourself. Never! For a start, they may contain
    > virii, then you'd be in a position where you'd have to report yourself to
    > the authorities. Next thing you know, you retaliate by sending one BACK to
    > yourself, ad infinitum. Is this nightmare worth the hassle? No - it's damn
    > well not!
    >>
    >> (mynameAThotpopDOTcom)containing W32.Mydoom@mm virus
    >> which NAV is promptly deleting.
    >>

    > I knew it. I just knew it! What have I just said

    I am NOT sending any mails to myself NEVER EVER.

    --
    Jaycee
    drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    Jaycee, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Jaycee

    Jaycee Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:39:27 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

    > First of all, do you have permission to use "invalid.com"
    > in your usenet email address? It is a valid domain, and
    > should NOT be used. To learn how to munge your email
    > address, please read the following, taking particular note
    > about using "invalid" as a TLD, ie: lid
    >
    > Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    > http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    >

    > On to your question, your hotpop address has probably
    > been harvested by a "bot"; internet worms spoof email
    > addresses. But in the event that your system may have
    > been infected, please run AT LEAST two online antivirus
    > scanners:
    >
    > Online Antivirus scanners:
    > ================
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    > http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

    Thanks , point regarding munging of address taken and shall act
    accordingly.

    --
    Jaycee
    drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    Jaycee, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Jaycee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:38:27 +0530, in
    <18bvnlxfu1vi8$.1qq8cmakudo3w$>
    Jaycee scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Thanks ,

    You're welcome.

    >point regarding munging of address taken and shall act
    >accordingly.

    Thank you.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance