Getting used to my Canon 300D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Progressiveabsolution, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Well,

    I decided I had to see what it was all about. I came from a decent P&S
    camera and have seen images with both posted on the web. It is very
    interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
    and P&S. For me, it took about 3-4 photos shoots to get used to and
    see what the image resolution was all about. Since I mainly did
    landscapes w/sunsets, I had to get some sunset sessions in to compare.
    Note: I have not gotten into any of the technical stuff, just using the
    lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features. What I have
    seen so far is nothing short of amazing (with all variables
    considered). The photos just look so resolved, detailed, realistic,
    artistic (with some flower shots I've done), and plainly more
    sophisticated. In my only brief comparisons (again, I haven't even put
    a better lens on or figured out what this thing is truly capable
    of)...the photos from the DSLR makes my P&S ones look generic. The
    only problem I now face is that I know it would be a major setback and
    downgrade to ever go back to P&S (problem being the cons of DSLR such
    as heavier gear, etc.). However, the artform of photography with the
    use of the SLR format has struck me and will now be a life long
    process.

    I wish to thank the people that responded to my post. It was very kind
    of you all to do that and I wish you many years of fun!!!

    Progressiveabsolution, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Progressiveabsolution

    Bill Crocker Guest

    What P&S camera are you comparing it to? I ask, because there are many P&S
    cameras that are just a capable, if not more so, of taking great
    photographs.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Progressiveabsolution

    Confused Guest

    In message <>
    "Progressiveabsolution" <> wrote:

    > Well,
    >
    > I decided I had to see what it was all about.
    > using the lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features.
    > What I have seen so far is nothing short of amazing

    Yup... you did the same thing I did for the same
    reasons, and you got hooked as quickly as I did...

    990 --> F717 --> 300D

    Here come the lenses... have fun! ;^)

    I now keep the 300D with a 28mm f2.8 with me as
    a second camera and backup for a 20D.

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Progressiveabsolution

    Pete D Guest

    Oh Bill how wrong you are, there is no way any other camera could take a
    good photo! ;-)

    Pete D, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Maybe you didn't read this part of my post, " It is very
    interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
    and P&S."

    I just stated "my" own opinion on what I have achieved personally as
    well as what I have seen posted on the web (especially recently since I
    started this thread).

    I don't care to start a debate, but I'm curious what P&S camera can
    produce images like this guy's...if you know of one, I would gladly be
    willing to use it...

    http://www.michaeledwardsphoto.com

    Progressiveabsolution, Apr 7, 2005