Getting the sound to work, suggestions please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Black Wibble, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >I look after sixteen workstations, they are not all the same, technicians
    >look after the network they belong to and I'm just the local help desk,
    >finding lost icons, adjusting app settings, that sort of thing for no extra
    >wages.
    >
    > One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
    > spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
    > sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure
    > they are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error
    > messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad
    > it's not my station.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I could call one of those cool techs, but you know, they
    > have a thousand more important things to do.
    > Joy

    CD drives have a headphone socket, so all you need are headphones.

    Tony.

    Joy, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Joy wrote:
    > One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
    > spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
    > sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure they
    > are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error messages in
    > the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad it's not my
    > station.

    When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
    audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
    installed?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 1, 2005
  4. The Black Wibble

    Joy Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
    >> spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
    >> sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure
    >> they are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error
    >> messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad
    >> it's not my station.

    > When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
    > audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
    > installed?

    I've just checked the outside. I'm quite competent to do what you suggest,
    but I'd not like to, it's really that I haven't been given that licence.
    Music cd's did work in that station some time ago.
    Any other suggestions?
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 1, 2005
  5. The Black Wibble

    SteveM Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in news:dmm1fc$2nt$:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can
    >>> hear it spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked
    >>> at all the sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the
    >>> leads to make sure they are the same as the other stations, there
    >>> appears to be no error messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice
    >>> to listen to a cd! I'm glad it's not my station.

    >> When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
    >> audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
    >> installed?

    > I've just checked the outside. I'm quite competent to do what you
    > suggest, but I'd not like to, it's really that I haven't been given
    > that licence. Music cd's did work in that station some time ago.
    > Any other suggestions?
    > Joy

    Go to device manager and bring up the properties of the CD drive.
    Click the properties tabs and make sure the "enabler digital audio check
    box is enabled.

    See how that goes......

    SteveM

    SteveM, Dec 1, 2005
  6. The Black Wibble

    J Brockley Guest

    If its just the CD that not making sound check the audio lead between cd
    drive and sound card. This is fairly easy as its usually a small grey cable
    going from CD to motherboard or soundcard.
    Alternatively in device manager check CD properties and check Enable digital
    audio ticked. (applies to win2k/xp)

    J Brockley, Dec 1, 2005