Getting stuck with Cisco 837!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edembers, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. edembers

    edembers

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Hi!

    I have a Cisco 837 which I want to set up to access DSL and plug a Fritz!Box into one of the ethernet ports, but I can't get it working correctly! I guess the problem is simple to those that know, but I haven't managed to figure it all out yet, I am new to this. I have made a console cable so can now get into it, and get the following from 'show ver':

    IOS (tm) C837 Software (C837-K9O3Y6-M), Version 12.2(13)ZG, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Synched to technology version 12.2(13.1u)T
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Compiled Thu 03-Apr-03 15:35 by ealyon
    Image text-base: 0x800131E8, data-base: 0x80A56314

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)YN, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C837 Software (C837-K9O3Y6-M), Version 12.2(13)ZG, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Router uptime is 1 hour, 48 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c837-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.ZG.bin"

    CISCO C837 (MPC857DSL) processor (revision 0x500) with 44237K/4915K bytes of mem
    ory.
    Processor board ID AMB083102GH (4196351161), with hardware revision 0000
    CPU rev number 7
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ATM network interface(s)
    12288K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2142

    'show flash:' gives this:

    System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 5556588 c837-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.ZG.bin
    [5556652 bytes used, 6764116 available, 12320768 total]
    12288K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    I guess this is where the problem is as I think there should be other files listed, but exactly what to do about it I am not sure, it all baffles me!! I also notice that it is Early Deployment Release Software (whatever that means!) compiled by ealyon - sounds suspect to me.

    I have set the address for 10.10.10.1 and can ping it, but when I plug the laptop into the ethernet port it gives a different address which again I can ping, but typing it into the browser address bar does no good - it just goes (after a few seconds) to Google search via WLAN.

    Thanks in advance for advice.

    Edward
    edembers, Nov 29, 2007

  2. edembers

    edembers

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    No replies :-( Either this is a very simple question that everyone should know the answer to so nobody can be bothered to point me in the right direction, or else it is so difficult that nobody knows the answer - so it's no wonder I don't! Any pointers would be welcome
    edembers, Dec 7, 2007

  3. edembers

    djdubuque@gmail.com

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Have you done a "setup" yet?

    10.10.10.1 is the router internal IP. What are you trying to do?
    djdubuque@gmail.com, Dec 31, 2007
  4. edembers

    os4mike

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Wrong config register

    Firstly, you will need to be in config register 0x2102 mode, not 0x2142 mode as it currently is.

    restart your router and while it is booting up preform a break (depends on your software) generally a ctrl + break or some variation.

    you will then be in ROMMON mode.

    ROMMON> confreg 0x2102 (press enter)

    something like that (the command is "configure register" but it should be written as 'confreg' or 'config-register')-
    then
    ROMMON> reset

    your router will reboot and you'll then be in configuration register 0x2102 mode.

    then you'll be able to start configuring, but try this first
    os4mike, Jan 9, 2008
  5. edembers

    sksri83

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Messages:
    10
    Location:
    India
    Perhaps you have primaty and secondary ip address configured on ur router Can u tell me whats ur cofig ..

    saurabh
    sksri83, Jan 18, 2008