Getting Started

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Enforge, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Enforge

    Enforge Guest

    Hey all,

    Have been coding VB and ASP applications for almost 6
    years. Have been doing ASP.NET and VB.NET applications now
    for almost a year, full-time.

    I am thinking about getting the certs. I make good money
    but I feel like having a certification to go along with all
    of my experience would allow me to waltz into almost any
    job I wanted. There are a lot of 'terms' in .NET that I
    don't know, and lots of features I do not use (I even avoid
    using controls in ASP.NET because I think they are evil and
    problematic, heh).

    Was wondering what the best approach for obtaining a cert
    would be. Part of me thinks I can walk in and take the test
    and pass, part of me is afraid it would all just be
    memorization of Microsoft buzz-word terms and I would fail.

    I've also read that the MS books are horrible, so I went
    out and bought the Que books to get started (I am starting
    with the C# book for web app development).

    How long do you think this process will take me, if I spend
    a couple hours a night, a few nights a week reading?

    How many questions are on the exam(s)? Are they all
    multiple choice? Can you somewhat make guesses at some of
    the answers if you are good with multiple choice tests, or
    is it really tricky? Can I afford to skim anything in the
    reading if I think I am a little familiar with it?

    Finally, is there any particular order to get this all
    done? I was planning to aim for the MCAD first and then add
    the two other test to get the MCSD. Which exam should be
    first, ASP.NET?

    Thanks, sorry for all the questions. Wish they had a nice
    little FAQ site NOT hosted and monitored by MS.

    Peace

    Enforge, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Enforge

    Mas Jabier Guest

    Hi, anonymous (coz I don't know your name)
    Your situation is just similar with me (the difference is
    you code with VB for 6 years, but me for 3 years, the rest
    is C++).

    It's good for you to take MCAD first(with 70-310,315,316
    or you might get VB.Net to pass (70-305,70-306) and get 2
    more credentials to get MCSD (70-229 and 70-300).

    Find a good book (Amit Kalani's Book) or Microsoft Self
    Paced Training Kit (I used both). Then try the concept and
    core with your own code. You should also consult with
    Trancender Exam Preparation to try yourself with real exam
    scenarios.

    I can say that most of the exams required conceptual
    thinking and a little bit technical items. (So you can
    save your own 'buzz terms'). We are not loaded with MS
    terms, but loaded with programming concepts that we have
    to solve.

    Hope this helps;

    Jody Ananda
    MCAD.Net,MCSD.Net

    Mas Jabier, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Enforge

    TheGrudge Guest

    Enforge,
    Just to give you a little background. I have been using .net winforms
    and asp.net since beta1 (Jan 2001). I had the same attitude about just
    walking in and taking the tests. I'm glad I didn't listen to myself. It
    isn't that there are buzz words. You and I both know that the .net framework
    is huge. And I doubt anybody has used all parts of it. The 315/316 tests
    that I took covered topics that I had to study on because I simply didn't
    use them. If you feel confident with your skills I would get the Exam Cram
    books by Kalani/Que. That is what I used. They are for people who basically
    have 80%-90% of the fundamentals covered. It has an overview of the topics
    on the test. For an example of items in the book that you may not have used:

    GAC/Versioning,Package & Deployment, Security, Testing & Debugging
    (Tracing).

    I'm sure you have ADO.Net covered since you've been using it for a year, but
    like I said there are parts that you probably haven't used. If I were you I
    would get Kalani's full books or his ExamCram books. I'm currently studying
    for 320 and from what I can tell it seems like it will be the most
    difficult.

    HTH

    TheGrudge, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Enforge

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I am thinking about getting the certs. I make good money
    >but I feel like having a certification to go along with all
    >of my experience would allow me to waltz into almost any
    >job I wanted.

    Ha, Ha, good one!

    Do the certs and see for yourself. Personally, it's nice to have them,
    although anyone can get them, which means you still don't stand out
    from the crowd.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 17, 2003