    However the cd is not bootable, and I am trying to install the os on a
    completely new pc with an empty unformatted HDD. Can anyone help me get the
    installation started?

    =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Are you sure that your BIOS is set to boot from your CD rom drive? Also it
    is an image you should have burnt to a CD with either NERO or Easy CD
    Creator. You should not unzip it. I have experienced problem burning
    images this way.

    Read this:
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

    Also check out ISO Recorder:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Beta.htm
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 21, 2005

  3. "Murray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have downloaded the xp-pro x64 trail iso image and burned to a cd.
    > However the cd is not bootable, and I am trying to install the os on a
    > completely new pc with an empty unformatted HDD. Can anyone help me get
    > the
    > installation started?

    First, it is a 4 month trial being 120 days. Second, you can't just burn the
    ISO to the CD, that is to just copy the one file to CD, or unzip it and copy
    the directories. You need to burn the ISO image (not file) to a CD, and then
    it should boot. That is, as Andre wrote you have your BIOS setup to boot
    from the CD first.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Thanks guys - quite right the trial is 4 months not 3. the cd was burned ok
    but for some reason the pc did not boot off the cd. Now it does - but I
    didn't change any bios settings. Can't explain why it didn't work before - I
    just assumed the cd was not bootable. Everythings fine now!

    Cheers

    Murray

    =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Probably startled at how fast your computer is. ;)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 21, 2005
  6. I too have posted a question only to have the issue magically resolve
    itself. Gremlins.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005