    I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

    Cheers,
    dizzley

    dizzley, Apr 20, 2006

  2. dizzley

    Paul Hayes Guest

    dizzley wrote:
    > Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.
    >
    > I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
    > started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
    >
    > I've visited http://www.asterisk.org
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dizzley

    the quickest way to get a working system would be to burn the
    Asterisk@Home (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/) ISO to a CD and
    boot the old PC from the CD in order to install it. Make sure there's
    nothing you want on the hard drive though as *@Home will format and
    install a new O/S.

    The best way to get your hands dirty and really learn how to manipulate
    Asterisk would be to install your favourite Linux distro and install the
    Asterisk package. Then do a lot of reading and editing of text ".conf"
    files.

    This book which is available online is quite good:

    http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=11

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Apr 20, 2006

  3. dizzley

    JC Guest

    On 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, "dizzley" <> wrote:

    >I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
    >started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
    >
    >I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

    Excellent! I guess you've got two choices, to use an easy setup system
    like 'Asterisk at Home' http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ or to
    build a system from scratch (in my opinion, if you're familiar with
    Linux, the best option) on top of a standard Linux distribution such
    as CentOS.

    If you download the tarball from asterisk.org there are some basic
    instructions inside, basically a ./configure and 'make' and you'll
    have a very generic system. Modify the indications.conf for UK tones,
    add some sip clients to sip.conf then you need to modify
    extensions.conf to reflect your preferred method of dialing (a bit
    more involved). Let me know if you need some config examples!

    Rgds
    Jonathan
    Free SIP VoIP accounts at www.kcip.com

    JC, Apr 20, 2006
  4. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, dizzley wrote:

    > I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
    > started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ has a lot of information on asterisk,
    including some info on UK related issues (such as Caller ID and using BT
    Text from asterisk)

    cheers

    Scot

    Scot McSweeney-Roberts, Apr 20, 2006
  5. dizzley

    dizzley Guest

    Thanks everyone for coming up with the goods.

    I think in the first instance I''ll try Asterisk@Home then if I want to
    play later I will do. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ looks handy too.

    Diz

    dizzley, Apr 20, 2006
  6. dizzley

    paul123 Guest

    dizzley wrote:
    > Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.
    >
    > I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
    > started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
    >
    > I've visited http://www.asterisk.org
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dizzley

    One of the nice things about Asterisk@home is that you can get a system
    up and running (from scratch) within a couple of hours. You don't lose
    any of asterisk's capabilities by installing AAH.

    Excellent setup guide at:
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk@home Handbook Wiki
    And brilliant tutorials/ideas at: www.nerdvittles.com

    paul123, Apr 20, 2006