    that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
    functionality.

    You guys rock!
    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:41:27 -0800, Bob Johnson <> wrote:

    >Hey people.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to nuke that cumbersome
    >do-you-want-to-search-for-pictures search in windows explorer...
    >
    > well.. not NUKE it.. but change it back to the much faster "98"
    >version. I've done it once before, but have reloaded since and can't
    >remember. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I just want to
    >press F3 and search.. not press F3, tell the retarded dog that I want
    >to search for music, and THEN get to the search.
    >
    >Oh.. and please don't tell me how to get rid of the dog.. i can do
    >that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
    >functionality.
    >
    >You guys rock!

    Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C:)
    Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
    Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

    Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
    check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"

    Improve Windows XP's search facility
    http://www.thirdstar.net/beeline/Improve_XP_Search.htm

    Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173

    HOW TO: Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307980

    That damn search assistant...

    Disable Search Assistant (Line 15, Right Column)

    Old Style Search Engine On/Off (Line 49, Left Column)

    Or...
    Use TweakUI, Explorer section to set Classic Search:

    A file that is required to run Search Companion....
    Search Companion Error dialog - Yellow Exclamation Point
    Can't Find Files, Containing text........
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm
    Unk, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004
  5. In article <> Bob Johnson <> wrote:

    >Great! thanks for all the cool links and stuff to read.. I'll check it
    >out! My rating still stands strong! You guys rock! :)
    >
    >.... and now I wil

    That sounds profound.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Lady Chatterly. It's not bot." -- Qasim
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Bob Johnson

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome again. :)

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Bob Johnson

    sethra Guest

    Bob Johnson <> wrote in news::

    > Hey people.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to nuke that cumbersome
    > do-you-want-to-search-for-pictures search in windows explorer...
    >
    > well.. not NUKE it.. but change it back to the much faster "98"
    > version. I've done it once before, but have reloaded since and can't
    > remember. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I just want to
    > press F3 and search.. not press F3, tell the retarded dog that I want
    > to search for music, and THEN get to the search.
    >
    > Oh.. and please don't tell me how to get rid of the dog.. i can do
    > that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
    > functionality.

    Forget the XP search function. It's junk.

    Agent Ransack is freeware, faster, and easier to use:

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Works fine for my purposes. I don't need to install anything else to
    make my puter unstable.

    Bob Johnson, Nov 15, 2004