    my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
    is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
    processor............

    don, Aug 12, 2005

  2. don

    Jan Guest

    As I recall you can do this with Win98: Click, Start/Run/ type in
    "msconfig" (without quotes) select Selective Startup, then the Startup tab
    and then uncheck anything you don't want to load on start up. You can
    always go back here and recheck if needed. Click ok. Next time you reboot
    it'll tell you that you are in selective startup. If you don't want that
    reminder, check the box telling it not to remind you again.
    Jan

    Jan, Aug 12, 2005

  3. don

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:

    >Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
    >programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
    >delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
    >example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now
    >my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
    >is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
    >processor............

    www.google.com search for

    hide task bar icons

    there are several apps.

    Me

    why?, Aug 12, 2005
  4. don

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:18:47 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:
    >
    >>Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
    >>programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
    >>delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
    >>example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now
    >>my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
    >>is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
    >>processor............

    >www.google.com search for
    >
    >hide task bar icons

    Ignore that did a cut / paste wrong reply from somewhere else.

    Me

    why?, Aug 12, 2005
  5. don

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:

    >Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
    >programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
    >delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
    >example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now

    That's a bit tricky as the stuff running in the background is often AV,
    AntiSpyware etc. It can be registry run entries, startup folders,
    win.ini entries.

    Along with msconfig, you can get a lot more details for what's running
    at startup with Autoruns,

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
    Simply run Autoruns and it shows you the currently configured
    auto-start applications as well as the full list of Registry and file
    system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart
    locations displayed by Autoruns include logon entries, Explorer add-ons,
    Internet Explorer add-ons including Browser Helper Objects (BHOs),
    Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, boot execute images, Winlogon notification
    DLLs, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers. Switch
    tabs to view autostarts from different categories.

    To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an
    auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar
    button.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 12, 2005
  6. "don" <> wrote in news:dditfu$9ou$:

    > Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
    > certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
    > permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm
    > not using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task
    > icon which I never use - right now my resources at start up are
    > down to 71% before I even open a program - this is a Win98
    > machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
    > processor............

    Go into each program and uncheck the "load when windows starts" box.
    -max
    --
    Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Aug 12, 2005
  7. don

    Jan Guest

    That's the first option, but many programs don't give you that option.
    Jan

    Jan, Aug 12, 2005
  8. don

    trout Guest

    don wrote:

    > Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
    > certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
    > permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm
    > not using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon
    > which I never use - right now my resources at start up are down to
    > 71% before I even open a program - this is a Win98 machine with 384
    > megs of memory on a Pentium II 350 processor............

    If it's a question of resources, what are you actually wanting to
    do? Remove taskbar icons, or control start-up programs?
    --
    The answers are really quite different for each.

    trout, Aug 13, 2005
  9. "Jan" <> wrote in

    > That's the first option, but many programs don't give you that
    > option. Jan

    ************Middle Posted for Maximum Confusion************

    Those are poorly written programs,IMHO

    > "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
    >> Go into each program and uncheck the "load when windows starts"
    >> box. -max

    -max

    What's in a Name?, Aug 13, 2005
  10. "don" <> wrote in news:dditfu$9ou$:

    > Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
    > certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
    > permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not
    > using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which
    > I never use - right now my resources at start up are down to 71%
    > before I even open a program - this is a Win98 machine with 384 megs
    > of memory on a Pentium II 350 processor............

    Get a copy of Codestuff's Starter
    http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

    whatevernevermind, Aug 13, 2005
  11. don