    But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
    all.
    Joy

    Joy, Jun 25, 2004

  2. In article <40dc8bfc$>, says...
    > I've already run this
    > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    >
    > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
    > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally under
    > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
    >
    > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
    > all.
    > Joy

    Why not?

    You can remove My Documents from your desktop. Far easier than hacking
    the registry. But why not store your stuff in there?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Joy

    steve Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > I've already run this
    > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    >
    > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
    > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally under
    > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
    >
    > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
    > all.
    > Joy

    Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists -
    delete it.

    :)

    Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    steve, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Joy

    MarkH Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in news:40dc8bfc$:

    > I've already run this
    > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \
    > CurrentVersion \
    > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    >
    > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If
    > you delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are
    > normally under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer")
    > will be gone. '
    >
    > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs
    > at all.
    > Joy

    You can create any folder you like and link My Documents to it. You don’t
    have to have My Documents on the desktop. You don’t have to have My
    Documents on the start menu.

    Are you saying that you don’t want a folder to exist somewhere that your
    WinXP thinks of as ‘My Documents’?

    In ‘My Computer’ there is a list of ‘Files Stored on This Computer’. If
    this is what you want to remove then you can do that with Tweakui.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Joy

    theseus Guest

    \
    > > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    > >
    > > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

    you
    > > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally

    under
    > > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
    > >
    > > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
    > > all.
    > > Joy

    > Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists -
    > delete it.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
    LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    theseus, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Joy

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:10:09 +1200, theseus wrote:

    > JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    >
    > GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
    > LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    what I have noticed is your self righteous net nannying. Give it a rest.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The Internet is a disease vector for mental illness.
    - Gordon Shumway

    Note: All comments are copyright 26/06/2004 12:36:19 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Brendan wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:10:09 +1200, theseus wrote:
    >

    >>JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    >>
    >>GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
    >>LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    > what I have noticed is your self righteous net nannying. Give it a rest.

    PKB

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Joy

    steve Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've already run this
    >> > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \
    >> > CurrentVersion

    > \
    >> > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    >> >
    >> > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

    > you
    >> > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally

    > under
    >> > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
    >> >
    >> > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs
    >> > at all.
    >> > Joy

    >> Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists
    >> - delete it.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).
    >>

    > JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    >
    > GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
    > LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    Joy asked for a solution to her problem.

    My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it certainly
    does addres the problem.

    Unlike your post.

    Have your blood pressure checked. You may be doing yourself an injury.

    steve, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Joy

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:48:34 +1200, steve wrote:

    > My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it certainly
    > does addres the problem.

    Agreed!

    Installing and using a Linux distribution certainly does solve most if not
    all problems caused by the use of Micro$oft software.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

    Divine, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Joy

    theseus Guest

    steve wrote:

    > theseus wrote:
    >

    >> "steve" <> wrote in message

    >> \

    >> you

    >> under

    >>> Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists
    >>> - delete it.
    >>>
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).
    >>>

    >> JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    >>
    >> GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT
    >> TO LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    > Joy asked for a solution to her problem.
    >
    > My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it
    > certainly does addres the problem.
    >
    > Unlike your post.
    >
    > Have your blood pressure checked. You may be doing yourself an injury.

    Have your brain checked, you clearly have no idea what a solution to her
    problem is.
    And it makes it really hard for Linux users like myself to coexist with
    helpful Windows users on this newsgroup because of the flame noise your
    ignorant outbursts ignite.

    theseus, Jun 26, 2004
  11. Joy

    Stewy Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Joy wrote:
    >
    >> I've already run this
    >> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
    >> \
    >> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    >>
    >> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
    >> delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally
    >> under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be
    >> gone. '
    >>
    >> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
    >> all.
    >> Joy

    > Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists -
    > delete it.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    Good solution.

    I know a lot of people who have changed over to Linux due to similar
    problems.

    Unfortunately a lot of people haven't heard of Linux so they think they have
    to keep putting up with poor operating systems and applications without
    knowing there are better alternatives.

    Don't flame me for saying this either. They changed because they wanted to
    change, not because of me. They are now happy computer users and they
    weren't happy before. They find they are now doing more things with their
    computers than they were before.

    The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

    Stuart

    Stewy, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Joy

    theseus Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > Joy wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've already run this
    > >> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \

    CurrentVersion
    > >> \
    > >> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    > >>
    > >> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

    you
    > >> delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally
    > >> under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be
    > >> gone. '
    > >>
    > >> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs

    at
    > >> all.
    > >> Joy

    > > Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it

    exists -
    > > delete it.
    > >
    > > :)
    > >
    > > Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    > Good solution.

    Why ?
    You still create a user directory.
    As in Windows you don't have to use it, but its handy if you don't want root
    access to everywhere.
    If the OP has a problem with understanding that with Windows, then changing
    the operating system won't help.
    It will just mean dealing with the same query about home directories

    theseus, Jun 26, 2004
  13. Joy

    Warwick Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > Joy wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've already run this
    > >> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \

    CurrentVersion
    > >> \
    > >> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
    > >>
    > >> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

    you
    > >> delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally
    > >> under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be
    > >> gone. '
    > >>
    > >> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs

    at
    > >> all.
    > >> Joy

    > > Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it

    exists -
    > > delete it.
    > >
    > > :)
    > >
    > > Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    > Good solution.
    >

    > I know a lot of people who have changed over to Linux due to similar
    > problems.
    >

    > Unfortunately a lot of people haven't heard of Linux so they think they

    have
    > to keep putting up with poor operating systems and applications without
    > knowing there are better alternatives.
    >

    > Don't flame me for saying this either. They changed because they wanted

    > change, not because of me. They are now happy computer users and they
    > weren't happy before. They find they are now doing more things with their
    > computers than they were before.
    >

    > The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    >

    > Stuart

    Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number of
    windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of existing
    windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior. Flame me
    on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported at
    length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own experience.

    cheers

    Warwick, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Joy

    theseus Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    > "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > > steve wrote:

    > CurrentVersion

    > you

    > at
    > > >
    > > > Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it

    > exists -
    > > > delete it.
    > > >
    > > > :)
    > > >
    > > > Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

    > > Good solution.
    > >

    > > I know a lot of people who have changed over to Linux due to similar
    > > problems.
    > >

    > > Unfortunately a lot of people haven't heard of Linux so they think they

    > have
    > > to keep putting up with poor operating systems and applications without
    > > knowing there are better alternatives.
    > >

    > > Don't flame me for saying this either. They changed because they wanted

    > > change, not because of me. They are now happy computer users and they
    > > weren't happy before. They find they are now doing more things with

    their
    > > computers than they were before.
    > >

    > > The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    > >

    > > Stuart
    > >

    > Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number of
    > windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    > windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of existing
    > windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior. Flame

    me
    > on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported at
    > length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own

    experience.

    > cheers

    see what I mean steve ?
    Who can be bothered with this crap?

    theseus, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Joy

    Warwick Guest

    "theseus" <> wrote in message

    > "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Stewy" <> wrote in message

    > > CurrentVersion

    If
    > > you

    normally

    be

    MyDocs
    > > at

    > > exists -

    > > > Good solution.
    > > >

    > > > I know a lot of people who have changed over to Linux due to similar
    > > > problems.
    > > >

    > > > Unfortunately a lot of people haven't heard of Linux so they think

    they
    > > have
    > > > to keep putting up with poor operating systems and applications

    without
    > > > knowing there are better alternatives.
    > > >

    > > > Don't flame me for saying this either. They changed because they

    wanted
    > > > change, not because of me. They are now happy computer users and they
    > > > weren't happy before. They find they are now doing more things with

    > their
    > > > computers than they were before.
    > > >

    > > > The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    > > >

    > > > Stuart
    > > >

    > > Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number

    of
    > > windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    > > windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of

    existing
    > > windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior.

    Flame
    > me
    > > on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported at
    > > length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own

    > experience.
    > >

    > > cheers
    > >

    > see what I mean steve ?
    > Who can be bothered with this crap?

    "It is just the type of bait that gets everybodies back up and results in
    ridiculous flame traffic from half wits.

    Counterproductive rubbish"

    Look familair bro?
    Pots and kettles bro?

    Steve can be relied upon for useless advice, I suppose he is now a gang of
    two.

    Warwick, Jun 27, 2004
  16. Joy

    theseus Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    > "theseus" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Stewy" <> wrote in message

    > > > CurrentVersion

    {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}.
    > If
    > > > you

    > normally

    will
    > be

    > MyDocs
    > > > at

    > > > exists -

    > they
    > > > have

    > without

    > wanted

    they

    > > their

    > > > Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number

    > of
    > > > windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    > > > windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of

    > existing
    > > > windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior.

    > Flame
    > > me
    > > > on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported at
    > > > length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own

    > > experience.
    > > >

    > > > cheers
    > > >

    > > see what I mean steve ?
    > > Who can be bothered with this crap?
    > >

    > "It is just the type of bait that gets everybodies back up and results in
    > ridiculous flame traffic from half wits.
    >
    > Counterproductive rubbish"
    >
    > Look familair bro?
    > Pots and kettles bro?

    That would be you and steve

    Your post is exactly what I was talking about.
    Just like steves.
    Nothing to do with Windows directories.
    You were stupid enough to take his bait.
    Just blah blah blah Linux vs Windows again

    theseus, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Joy

    steve Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> theseus wrote:
    >>

    >>> "steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> \

    >>> you
    >>> under

    >>> JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    >>>
    >>> GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT
    >>> TO LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

    >> Joy asked for a solution to her problem.
    >>
    >> My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it
    >> certainly does addres the problem.
    >>
    >> Unlike your post.
    >>
    >> Have your blood pressure checked. You may be doing yourself an injury.

    > Have your brain checked, you clearly have no idea what a solution to her
    > problem is.

    I disagree. The solution I offered would work 100% every time for anyone who
    tried it.

    steve, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Joy

    steve Guest

    Stewy wrote:

    > Good solution.
    >
    > I know a lot of people who have changed over to Linux due to similar
    > problems.
    >
    > Unfortunately a lot of people haven't heard of Linux so they think they
    > have to keep putting up with poor operating systems and applications
    > without knowing there are better alternatives.
    >
    > Don't flame me for saying this either. They changed because they wanted
    > to change, not because of me. They are now happy computer users and they
    > weren't happy before. They find they are now doing more things with their
    > computers than they were before.
    >
    > The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

    Agreed.

    As posted several days ago, my wife finally made the move to Linux and she
    hasn't looked back.

    Not having McAfee AV constantly scanning everything for viruses has
    seriously improved her performance in e-mail, web browsing...and overall
    system responsiveness.

    She can still run the Win32 Eudora 6.0 on Linux (via Crossover Office WINE)
    to access her "legacy" e-mail....but has moved to Evolution as the primary
    e-mail program and likes it very much.

    steve, Jun 27, 2004
  19. Joy

    steve Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number of
    > windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    > windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of existing
    > windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior. Flame
    > me on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported at
    > length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own
    > experience.

    The Economist's article was full of inaccuracies and flat-out errors. Having
    subscribed the Economist for most of 10 years, I was surprised to see such
    a poorly researched article there.

    But the Economist serves a corporate market....and there is a huge battle
    going on in Europe about patents and intellectual property in
    general....and I would not expect The Economist to expres views contrary to
    the interests of it's corporate base.

    I put their article on Open Source into that context.

    I learned many years ago that The Economist is a publication with a distinct
    point of view - and it will consistently advance ideas and values that are
    of primary benefit to the already very well off and already very powerful.

    steve, Jun 27, 2004
  20. Joy

    Warwick Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Warwick wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah great solutions. so long as the user doesn't use any one a number

    of
    > > windows only applications or games, or want to write programs for the
    > > windows platform, or doesn't mind using open source knock offs of

    existing
    > > windows software, knock offs that are in the general case inferior.

    Flame
    > > me on that one if you like, I stole it from the economist who reported

    at
    > > length on the open source movement last week. It reflects my own
    > > experience.

    > The Economist's article was full of inaccuracies and flat-out errors.

    Having
    > subscribed the Economist for most of 10 years, I was surprised to see such
    > a poorly researched article there.
    >
    > But the Economist serves a corporate market....and there is a huge battle
    > going on in Europe about patents and intellectual property in
    > general....and I would not expect The Economist to expres views contrary

    > the interests of it's corporate base.
    >
    > I put their article on Open Source into that context.
    >
    > I learned many years ago that The Economist is a publication with a

    distinct
    > point of view - and it will consistently advance ideas and values that are
    > of primary benefit to the already very well off and already very powerful.

    I considered both well researched and well written. I particularly enjoyed
    the piece about Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie.

    Can you detail your criticisms reagarding poor research and flat out
    inaccuracies?

    Otherwise your credibility by comparison with that illustrious publication
    comes in at a very distant second place.

    Warwick, Jun 27, 2004