    automatically but for the life of me can't remember how.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Buffy, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Buffy

    ICee Guest

    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    ICee, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Buffy

    Ray Guest

    Buffy <> wrote in news:cbhcvm
    $9v3$2surf.net:

    > I know there's a way of doing this and to get the PC to shut

    down
    > automatically but for the life of me can't remember how.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    It depends on your power supply. Older computers are usually "AT"
    and AFAIK can't be shut down by Windows because they are turned
    off by physical flipping a switch on the computer to cut power.

    Newer computers are ATX and are shut "off" by a signal either from
    the OS (Windows, Linux, etc.) are the momentary contact switch
    (power switch) on the computer.

    (ATX computers really don't totally shutdown. A small current
    continues to be used by the motherboard to detect the pressing of
    the power switch or a special key on the keyboard.)

    Ray, Jun 25, 2004