    DOS mode will not allow Msconfig to be run.

    Does anyone know any other ways of stopping these 3 programs from
    starting up?

    Jason M, Aug 20, 2003

  2. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:41:21 GMT, (Jason M)

    You'll want Ad-Aware to get rid of that - www.lavasoft.de

    >On startup, about 10 seconds after the desktop arrives the system
    >locks, and Kazaa, Realplay and Hbinst are 2nd to 4th in the tasklist.

    Try holding down SHIFT as soon as the background & mouse pointer show
    up on screen; sometimes Windows takes this as meaning to not load any
    apps in startup.

    Alternatively, in safe mode, does Windows+R work for Run? Does
    Windows+E run Explorer? You could also do the pruning in RegEdit..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:05:39 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:41:21 GMT, (Jason M)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>A friend must have clicked on the wrong button this morning, and now
    >>has Hotbar (Hbinst) on his computer (Win98).

    >You'll want Ad-Aware to get rid of that - www.lavasoft.de
    >
    >>On startup, about 10 seconds after the desktop arrives the system
    >>locks, and Kazaa, Realplay and Hbinst are 2nd to 4th in the tasklist.

    >Try holding down SHIFT as soon as the background & mouse pointer show
    >up on screen; sometimes Windows takes this as meaning to not load any
    >apps in startup.

    Yes holding SHIFT down worked great thanks. Via phone I've got him to
    run Msconfig to get rid of the offending programs from startup
    (including dw.exe aka Media Load Installer) which wasn't easy because
    the mouse didn't work. Now to get Adaware...

    >Alternatively, in safe mode, does Windows+R work for Run?

    No it didn't

    Jason M, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Jason M

    Kookaburra Guest

    wrote:

    >Does anyone know any other ways of stopping these 3 programs from
    >starting up?

    I can't remember the last time I've needed to use msconfig. I've been
    using Mike Lin's startup utility for years. Only 59 kb

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Aug 20, 2003
  5. Jason M

    bambam Guest

    (Jason M) wrote in

    > A friend must have clicked on the wrong button this morning, and
    > now has Hotbar (Hbinst) on his computer (Win98).

    <snip>

    > Does anyone know any other ways of stopping these 3 programs from
    > starting up?

    Spybot Search & Destroy will get rid of this garbage-

    http://spybot.eon.net.au/

    --
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months.
    I don't like to interupt her.

    bambam, Aug 20, 2003
  6. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:41:21 +0000, Jason M wrote:

    > There is not enough time to run Msconfig to get rid of those from the
    > startup list, or to do anything useful before the system locks.
    > Nothing works after doing Ctrl/Alt/Del except another Ctrl/Alt/Del to
    > reboot.

    hold down both shifts, both alts and both ctrls as it starts up.

    That will bypass almost everything.

    Otherwise you can regedit in safe mode and clean out everything in the Run
    and services keys (or rename 'em)

    > Running under Safe Mode, "Run" on the Windows Start Menu does nothing,
    > so Msconfig cannot be run.

    That's ominous. It does work unless something's disabled it.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 20, 2003
  7. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    wrote:

    >A friend must have clicked on the wrong button this morning, and now
    >has Hotbar (Hbinst) on his computer (Win98).

    The problem is now solved. Thanks to all suggestions.

    1. The adware programs were stopped from loading by holding SHIFT down
    on startup.

    2. MSCONFIG was run to remove them from the startup list.

    3. Ad-Aware was run http://www.lavasoft.de/
    and found and "removed" Brilliant Digital, Cydoor, New.Net, Hotbar,
    Downloadware, DSSAgent, NetworkEssentials, BullaBHO, Alexa

    4. Spybot was run http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    and found and "removed" Alexa, BDE Projector, DSO Exploit,
    DSS Agent, Hotbar installer, New.net

    Jason M, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:36:34 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:

    >DSO exploit isnt spyware.
    >
    >Its windows based.

    I've has a read of Google about DSO exploit, and I'm no wiser.
    Apparently this site has details about it, but I get no reply:

    http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/

    Actually while we're on the subject, why on earth doesn't Microsoft
    have some kind of standard naming system for their software so I can
    tell it apart from adware crap. And why doesn't Windows protect itself
    from adware crap like any decent operating system should?

    Jason M, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Jason M

    Paul Guest

    lol good point Jason.