    I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????
    howard, Jan 7, 2008

  2. howard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <>
    wrote:

    >Getting a new one,
    >My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    Completely wipe the drive clean..

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129
    Evan Platt, Jan 7, 2008

  3. howard

    howard Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Getting a new one,
    >> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    > Completely wipe the drive clean..
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

    He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
    left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.
    howard, Jan 7, 2008
  4. howard

    Guest

    howard <> wrote:

    >Getting a new one,
    >My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    Take the drive out, he would have a spare.
    --

    Best Of World's Most Amazing Videos: Volume 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66GbfH-HzI
  5. howard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:08:59 +0000, howard <>
    wrote:

    >He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
    >left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

    Then take a look at
    http://www.aks-labs.com/solutions/wipe-disk-free-space.htm

    Run a program like Crap Cleaner which erases data from most common
    programs, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.
    Evan Platt, Jan 7, 2008
  6. howard

    howard Guest

    wrote:
    > howard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Getting a new one,
    >> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    > Take the drive out, he would have a spare.

    I wouldnt know how to undo the box let alone electrocute my self.
    howard, Jan 7, 2008
  7. howard

    Ghostrider Guest

    howard wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Getting a new one,
    >>> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >>> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >>> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run
    >>> another programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    >> Completely wipe the drive clean..
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

    > He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
    > left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

    Insofar as this particular computer is concerned, the Windows XP OS
    is essentially worthless to you. You are going to sell it along with
    the computer, in any event, right? The safest solution would be to
    wipe the entire hard drive clean, scrub it with a low-level format
    using a program from the hard drive's manufacturer and then re-install
    Windows XP before releasing the computer.
    Ghostrider, Jan 7, 2008
  8. howard

    thanatoid Guest

    howard <> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >> howard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Getting a new one,
    >>> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes
    >>> computers up. I am a little worried about all my e bay
    >>> transactions an bank details. I clear cache and cookies ,
    >>> is that enough. or do i need to run another programme to
    >>> delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    >> Take the drive out, he would have a spare.

    > I wouldnt know how to undo the box let alone electrocute my
    > self.

    Either forget the whole thing (since you are not qualified or
    able to make sure that none of your data remains on the
    computer, and "nominal sum" doesn't sound like it's worth it to
    begin with), or have /him/ open your computer, remove the HD (it
    will say "hard disk" or "hard drive" somewhere on it) and hand
    it to you. Then you can smash it with a sledge hammer or hide it
    somewhere.

    --
    Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
    Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)
    thanatoid, Jan 7, 2008
  9. howard

    sarge137 Guest

    On Jan 7, 1:40 pm, howard <> wrote:
    > Getting a new one,
    > My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    > I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    > I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    > programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    Wipe the drive, and give your neighbor the original Windows XP disc
    that came with the computer. If he's half way competent he'll want to
    reformat the drive and reinstall the OS before giving/selling it to
    someone else. Simply deleting the files and/or formating the drive
    does not delete the the data, though it does take some technical
    knowledge to recover it. Don't rely on your neighbor to do this for
    you.

    I personally use Heidi Software's Eraser (http://www.heidi.ie/
    eraser/). It's free, and works very well. It doesn't have to be
    installed on your old computer. Download and install it on your new
    computer, then create a disc that will wipe the data from the old
    one. Instructions are in the FAQ section of the publishers web site.

    There are others out there also. Let your fingers do the walking with
    a Google search.

    Regards,
    Sarge
    sarge137, Jan 7, 2008
  10. howard

    philo Guest

    "howard" <> wrote in message
    > Ghostrider wrote:
    >>
    >> howard wrote:

    >>> He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
    >>> left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

    >> Insofar as this particular computer is concerned, the Windows XP OS
    >> is essentially worthless to you. You are going to sell it along with
    >> the computer, in any event, right? The safest solution would be to
    >> wipe the entire hard drive clean, scrub it with a low-level format
    >> using a program from the hard drive's manufacturer and then re-install
    >> Windows XP before releasing the computer.
    >>

    > Sounds a good idea thanks

    Though "wiping" software will certainly do the trick...
    I'd just re-install XP by formatting the disk first.
    It would really take some majorly expensive lab work to retrieve any of your
    original data...
    and even then...it would not be likely to retrieve anything
    philo, Jan 7, 2008
  11. howard wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Getting a new one,
    >>> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up. I am a
    >>> little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details. I clear
    >>> cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >>> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    >> Completely wipe the drive clean..
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

    > He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my files,
    > left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

    Deleting doesn't really delete them. You need to overwrite them.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2008
  12. howard

    Plato Guest

    howard wrote:

    > Getting a new one,
    > My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    > I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    > I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    > programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    Run a zero fill utility. Free.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 8, 2008
  13. howard

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <> wrote:

    >Getting a new one,
    >My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    Do a format and clear, or to be safe remove the hard drive and run
    it through a compactor.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Jan 8, 2008
  14. howard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:40:28 +0000, howard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Getting a new one,
    >> My neighbour is giving me a nominal sum, he makes computers up.
    >> I am a little worried about all my e bay transactions an bank details.
    >> I clear cache and cookies , is that enough. or do i need to run another
    >> programme to delete anything he might be able to pull up????

    > Completely wipe the drive clean..

    Indeed. I find a sledgehammer or shotgun very effective. "It's the only
    way to be sure"
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 10, 2008
  15. howard

    BK Guest

    howard wrote:
    > Ghostrider wrote:
    >>
    >> howard wrote:

    >>> He wants to keep the xp operating system, ive deleted most of my
    >>> files, left some games on, backed up my photos and work files.

    >> Insofar as this particular computer is concerned, the Windows XP OS
    >> is essentially worthless to you. You are going to sell it along with
    >> the computer, in any event, right? The safest solution would be to
    >> wipe the entire hard drive clean, scrub it with a low-level format
    >> using a program from the hard drive's manufacturer and then re-install
    >> Windows XP before releasing the computer.
    >>

    > Sounds a good idea thanks

    Check your system date... last time I checked, we were in 2008, not 2009
    ^_^
    BK, Jan 12, 2008
  16. howard

    howard Guest