Getting Rid Of A Desktop Icon, Again

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Feb 14, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    I'm the chap who posted the question a few days ago re how to get rid of a
    desktop icon that apparently wants to remain (forever). It shows in
    Properties as having 0 bytes.

    Gosh, such a simple question, I thought.

    Seems like of the 50 or so replies, the vast majority related to top-posting
    vs bottm-posting.

    So, let me ask this again in a new thread as I don't want to be accused of
    top posting when I should be bottom posting, or bottom posting when I should
    be top posting, or middle posting when I should be...

    I tried the Killbox and Move On Boot programs that were suggested.
    Both say they cannot find the icon, and/or it doesn't exist.

    Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Feb 14, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Tony Guest

    You again i see eh? Well did you try Dr. Delete? Just overwrite the icon with
    the same icon of the same name then you can delete that one.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Feb 14, 2009

  3. This will work
    Unlocker
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Feb 14, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:47:43 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm the chap who posted the question a few days ago re how to get rid of a
    >desktop icon that apparently wants to remain (forever). It shows in
    >Properties as having 0 bytes.
    >
    >Gosh, such a simple question, I thought.
    >
    >Seems like of the 50 or so replies, the vast majority related to top-posting
    >vs bottm-posting.

    And there were a number of good valid answers / suggestions.

    Reboot in safe mode.

    A few suggestions on applications to try, etc.

    Evan Platt, Feb 14, 2009
  5. Robert11

    Tony Guest

    I doubt it since there is no handle to unlock.

    Tony, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >I tried the Killbox and Move On Boot programs that were suggested.
    >Both say they cannot find the icon, and/or it doesn't exist.
    >
    >Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

    The file could have a corrupt file name.

    Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    Cmd /K cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\
    <enter>

    Now type in:
    DIR /X
    Look for the shortcut that can't be deleted and find it's 8.3 name
    (something line weathe~1.lnk)

    Delete the shortcut name by using it's 8.3 filename. (if shown)
    (ie: Del weathe~1.lnk)

    sometimes it works - but killbox, move on boot, and the others
    mentioned should of removed it.

    --

    IK Project
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/12321.html

    , Feb 15, 2009
  7. Robert11

    Leythos Guest

    In article <azFll.22797$>,
    says...
    > *WARNING* Do NOT follow any advice given by the people listed below.
    > They do NOT have the expertise or knowledge to fix your issue. Do not waste
    > your time.
    > David H Lipman, Malke, PA Bear, Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Leythos.

    Chris, Stalking on the internet is a crime, you are warned that you will
    be reported to your providers if you continue.

    Learn more about Butt's lack of ethics and obsessions in the links
    below.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    Public Service Warning: Learn about PCButts before you trust:

    Leythos, Feb 15, 2009
  8. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm the chap who posted the question a few days ago re how to get rid of a
    > desktop icon that apparently wants to remain (forever). It shows in
    > Properties as having 0 bytes.
    >
    > Gosh, such a simple question, I thought.

    A repost here, which went unnoticed in your last thread:

    It may be a "virtual link".
    Have a look at
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace]
    (if that link also appears for other users)
    or the similar path for hkey_current_user
    if it only affects that one user.

    Backup that part of the registry before actually deleting.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 15, 2009
  9. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm the chap who posted the question a few days ago re how to get rid of
    > a desktop icon that apparently wants to remain (forever). It shows in
    > Properties as having 0 bytes.
    >
    > Gosh, such a simple question, I thought.
    >
    > Seems like of the 50 or so replies, the vast majority related to
    > top-posting vs bottm-posting.
    >
    > So, let me ask this again in a new thread as I don't want to be accused
    > of top posting when I should be bottom posting, or bottom posting when I
    > should be top posting, or middle posting when I should be...
    >
    > I tried the Killbox and Move On Boot programs that were suggested.
    > Both say they cannot find the icon, and/or it doesn't exist.
    >
    > Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Well, considering that you *never* replied to any of the posts there or
    answer any of the questions posed, I suggest that you go back to the
    original post, answer the non-troll replies and proceed from there. This
    is not a new problem or a problem that has changed in any way so the
    purpose for a new thread is dubious.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 15, 2009