    stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
    From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
    IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
    Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
    I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
    no-where.

    Any suggestions please?

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Slarty Bartfast

    jen Guest

    Slarty Bartfast wrote:
    > This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
    > I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
    > stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
    > From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
    > IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
    > Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
    > I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
    > no-where.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Slarty Bartfast

    how are you validating logon and network resources?

    <domain>\<username> i assume?

    --
    Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

    jen, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Hi Jen,

    I'm using a 56k modem on a second phone line we have here. Ie; on the NT4
    workstation, I installed a modem, RAS, and setup DUN. When I click on
    'connect' I am presented with a logon screen asking for Username, Password
    and Domain (of the test Lan). It connects, authenticates, gives me an IP
    from DHCP. The next step is to create a computer account in the Domain, but
    I get a message "Domain Controller for this Domain cannot be located". I
    can't ping any IP in the Domain, or vice versa, I can't ping the dial-up PC
    from the LAN - even though it seems to me that a successful connection to
    the Domain has been made it's failing somewhere.

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Slarty Bartfast

    Andy Foster Guest

    "Slarty Bartfast" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
    > I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
    > stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
    > From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
    > IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
    > Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
    > I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
    > no-where.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    Most likely IMHO is that you have done something wrong. Based on the
    level of detail you have provided "I have followed MS KBA 232511 to
    the letter as far as I can see", resolving the problem would be
    trickier than building fjords.
    My best suggestion would be to provide more detail - including (but
    not limited to) ipconfig info for NT4 server and dial-up clients, and
    how you've attempted to access the network (e.g. ping, tracert, UNCs,
    etc.)

    Andy Foster, Dec 22, 2003
  5. The issue may simply be security

    NT4 member servers running RRAS are a major security hole if they
    work. Recommendation is only run RRAS on win2K otherwise you'll need
    to allow any rogue dial in anonymous access to AD.

    Marlin Munrow, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Hi Andy,

    Here is some more info that may help, I hope.

    I have a Win2k DC DHCP - not using WINS - which is irrelevant I think with
    Win2k DC? However, I think not having WINS or LMHOSTS files may be the
    problem.

    NT4 Stand-alone server SP6
    RAS Settings;
    Access 'Entire Network'
    'Use DHCP'
    'Requires MS encryted authentication'
    'Receive calls only'
    Ether Nic: 10.0.0.3 mask: 255.0.0. Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    PPP Adaptor: 10.0.0.14 mask: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    I added NetBEUI after looking at KBA 243188 but it didn't help.

    NT4 Workstation SP6 Dial-up Client
    RAS Settings;
    'Dial out only'
    'Accept any authentication' - I changed this from MS authentication.
    IP addressing after dialup;
    Ether Nic: 0.0.0.0 mask: 0.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    PPP Adaptor: 10.0.0.13 mask: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    Unique computer name
    Member of workgroup - only after successful connection, computer account
    needs to be made.

    When I click 'connect' on the DUN, I get a logon screen;
    Username:
    Password:
    Domain:

    Modem message; "Dialling 9876543",
    Message; "Verifying username and password" (if I use a User that does not
    have 'dialin' enabled, it fails at this point)
    Message; "Registering your computer on the network"
    Then a screen comes up saying;
    "You have successfully connected to the remote server. You may now use the
    usual NT programs and utilities as if you were directly connected to the
    network".

    So far it looks hopeful. I receive an IP address, but can't ping the
    network.

    Curiously, in the Network Bindings, it says;
    RAS is bound to WINS Client (TCPIP)
    Remote access WAN Wrapper

    Thanks if you take the time to look at this. I hope something obvious might
    stand out.

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Just an Addendum...
    After I installed RAS, I felt I should re-install SP6 on the NT4 Server.
    After I did that, I could at least ping the NT4 Server from the NT4 dialup
    workstation, but not the rest of the LAN...
    Just a bit further along...

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast