    on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
    matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
    wasting a load of photo paper?

    SS, Dec 3, 2005

  2. SS

    Trax Guest

    "SS" <> wrote:

    |>I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
    |>1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed picture
    |>had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
    |>on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
    |>matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
    |>wasting a load of photo paper?

    Google: gamma adjustment

    You need to adjust your monitor.

    --
    Take a break...
    http://games.briankass.com/

    Trax, Dec 3, 2005

  3. SS

    Kenny Guest

    Not sure if it's the same in PSP6 but in PSP10 Monitor Calibration is under
    the File menu.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 3, 2005
  4. SS

    Guest

    Maybe the problem is the monitor. Get a copy of a good color
    calibration file, and display it on the monitor. Make sure that the
    display card has no options that are modifying its output to the
    monitor. Everything in the display properties software has to be set to
    default to start with.

    Check the monitor to see that it is tracking the grey scale properly,
    so that you know it is in true black and white to start with. If you
    see any colourations or tinting in the scaling, this is most likey part
    of the problem. The black level chip must be just visible, and the
    white level chip must be visible without any clipping or bleeding.
    There should be very little or no variation of colour in the chips in
    between.

    More often than not, differences are the errors in the monitor, and
    with the display card to start with. After correcting the dispay
    problems, then you can go on to investigating any problems with the
    printer and scanner.

    Jerry G.
    ======

    , Dec 3, 2005
  5. SS

    Kenny Guest

    Quite a few monitor calibration tools here, take your pick:
    http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 3, 2005
  6. SS

    old jon Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    >I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
    > 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed
    > picture
    > had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
    > on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
    > matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method
    > and
    > wasting a load of photo paper?

    This article is worth a read.
    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/icc.htm
    Monitors can be set up with different color profiles. sRGB seems to be a
    good starting point.
    PSPro 9 let`s you adjust a few parameters. I`m not sure about earlier
    versions tho`.
    It`s abit of trial and error, until you master it.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 3, 2005
  7. SS

    SS Guest

    I would say definately the problem lies with the printer - photo looks fine
    on the monitor - same as scanned. I do refill my own cartridges and I know
    that can alter tones a bit. What I was thinking is could i scan a colour
    chart, print it and then re-scan and use some software to 'calibrate' the
    source file to correct the printer output. The colour monitor is a new LCD
    type and looks not to have any emphasis on colours as all photos look 'good'
    on it.

    SS, Dec 3, 2005
  8. SS

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:07 GMT, SS wrote:

    >I would say definately the problem lies with the printer - photo looks fine

    It's gamma setting / matching the color for each device. This topic was
    raised a while ago but the last thread I remember should still be found
    by searching

    There were several links about the topic.

    Threads, searching with author:why? gamma
    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...why? gamma&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search this group
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?F3942134C

    Another search - print color monitor gamma , still in 24HSHD, while
    searching al all groups has 29,000 hits. Many of those are groups
    dealing with - photo apps, photos digital, graphics apps.

    Reading of the existing info like ,

    Matching Monitor Color and Print Color
    I calibrated the monitor using Adobe Gamma, but regardless of the
    setting I use
    in print preview, color management, and printer settings, my prints all
    look ...
    http://adobe.photoshop.elements - Jul 9 2003, 1:08 pm by Kenneth McGrath
    - 3 messages - 3 authors

    Print colour matching
    .... When I print out photos etc, the colours never seem to be the same
    as what is on
    the monitor. ... I've heard of colour management program thingy's that
    solve ...
    http://alt.graphics.photoshop - Feb 3 2002, 8:54 pm by Bob G - 7
    messages - 7 authors

    may help.

    >on the monitor - same as scanned. I do refill my own cartridges and I know
    >that can alter tones a bit. What I was thinking is could i scan a colour
    >chart, print it and then re-scan and use some software to 'calibrate' the
    >source file to correct the printer output. The colour monitor is a new LCD
    >type and looks not to have any emphasis on colours as all photos look 'good'
    >on it.
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Maybe the problem is the monitor. Get a copy of a good color
    >> calibration file, and display it on the monitor. Make sure that the
    >> display card has no options that are modifying its output to the

    <snip>

    >> More often than not, differences are the errors in the monitor, and
    >> with the display card to start with. After correcting the dispay
    >> problems, then you can go on to investigating any problems with the
    >> printer and scanner.
    >>
    >> Jerry G.
    >> ======

    Me

    why?, Dec 3, 2005
  9. SS

    Mitch Guest

    In article <t2mkf.15728$>, SS
    <> wrote:

    > I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
    > 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed picture
    > had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
    > on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
    > matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
    > wasting a load of photo paper?

    What you are talking about is called color management.
    You need to install color management tools to do this.
    It involves correcting the monitor (the monitor is always always off,
    no matter what you think of how it looks) and using files that fix the
    known behavior of the scanner and printer.

    Note that all three are critical parts in this; you're just guessing if
    you don't try to fix all three at once.

    Yes, it will affect the results that you aren't using known inks, but
    there is nothing you can do about that yet. Certainly not before you
    have fixed the other differences.

    Mitch, Dec 3, 2005
  10. In news:031220051210245128%,
    Mitch spewed forth:
    > In article <t2mkf.15728$>, SS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my
    >> Epson 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the
    >> printed picture had too much red hue and probably too much colour
    >> saturation (the original on screen looked fine). Is there a way I
    >> can ensure the printed result matches the original without having to
    >> use the 'trial and error' method and wasting a load of photo paper?
    >>

    > What you are talking about is called color management.
    > You need to install color management tools to do this.
    > It involves correcting the monitor (the monitor is always always off,
    > no matter what you think of how it looks) and using files that fix the
    > known behavior of the scanner and printer.
    >
    > Note that all three are critical parts in this; you're just guessing
    > if you don't try to fix all three at once.
    >
    > Yes, it will affect the results that you aren't using known inks, but
    > there is nothing you can do about that yet. Certainly not before you
    > have fixed the other differences.

    Another good reason to use OEM ink cartridges, IMO.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Quirk E. Dude, Dec 3, 2005