    PSS....HELP!
    --
    Bob R

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=, Nov 30, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You don't say what country you are in, which might help, but any of the
    ISP's that you can access with the built-in dialer would be okay. AOL hadn't
    worked and sounds like they haven't fixed it.
    As to help with x64, this is pretty much it. You are generally on your own.

    John Barnes, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Well, to cover the 'basics', you probably have some sort of network driver
    on the CD that probably came with your machine. This driver has to be
    64bit!!! Then, you should look for an installation CD that most, if not all,
    telephone companies will have to offer - put the CD in the machine, follow
    instructions, and that's about 'it'. Not all instructions, and not all
    installations are equal - they typically range from the
    'nearly-stupid-but-correct', to the very professional.

    Sadly, though, as John says: you are mostly on your own.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Assuming you have a driver for your modem, the rest is nothing special for
    any ISP _except_ AOL. For them, you need to use their proprietary software
    and it doesn't work in x64. So you'll need to change ISPs, and then follow
    the standard instructions for that ISP to connect. One warning. If you have
    an nvidia based motherboard, you need to install the nvidia firewall and
    then UN-install it. Otherwise you'll have problems with 32-bit connections.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Charlie:

    I have an Asus A8nsli-dlx W/ the Nvidia firewall. I never installed it
    (that I know of) as it seems to install from the MOBO cd, However, if you
    are saying to go ahead and do it anyway I will. I didn't look in the
    add/remove program to see if it is there, or should I go into the bios? Just
    as an aside, I called AOL and they said that you can get it working on Win64.
    BUT...at admin tools (thru control panel) then to services find remote
    procedure call (rpc) and find plug and play, set both to manual and AOL says
    it will work. My problem is at those two items all the controls are shaded
    and cannot be switched (they show as STARTED and I believe AUTOMATIC) if you
    can help me out with the Nvidia thing or the other idea from AOL I would
    appreciate it. I bring all this up because I wonder if the Nvidia firewall
    is affecting these items also. Anyway I am not using my new PC because I
    can't get on the NET. How do you get on the net with XP64?? In other words,
    what ISP works with the NET? This came out longer than I expected, but
    again, any help would be helpful.

    Much Thanks --
    Bob R

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=, Dec 2, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=

    Patrick Guest

    I have no help to offer except what you have already been told -
    Install the NVIDIA firewall and then uninstall it.
    I too have this same board.
    I also have an Asus A8V-E deluxe - with this board you will get a
    yellow exclamation mark on a device in device manager
    (unknown device = ACPI\ATK0110\1010110)
    until you install some of the Gammer's Candy that comes with this board.

    I would guess that a specific networking sys file or some driver is not
    installed as it should be 'unless' you install this firewall.
    ASUS has been know to be a 'little slow' at times concerning their software.

    and

    NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust what some "pseudo tech-support" guy from
    AOL tells you. From your report below it sounds as if you understood
    that you were told to screw with some of the settings in Windows Services.
    RPC is your computer's "everything" - there is a reason it is grayed out and
    set to automatic. It is to keep you from screwing up your system when an
    AOL idiot tells you to change it.
    Check it's dependencies - half of windows is dependent on this service running.

    Patrick, Dec 2, 2005
  7. This isn't ASUS's fault -- It's nvidia's. Doesn't matter whose mobo it is,
    the same problem exists.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 3, 2005
  8. Yes, I know you didn't install it -- that's the problem. It's stupid beyond
    belief, but apparently the only way to get the [explitive deleted] thing to
    go away is to install it and then UNinstall it.

    As for AOL -- you're on your own. I don't use it, don't support it, don't
    like it and wouldn't allow their drivers on my system or any system I
    support.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    >>> PSS....HELP!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 3, 2005
  9. Charlie

    Thanks for your help. I would still like to get on the NET, with the
    XP64. I am looking at the Verizon /DSL deal as my provider. Which means an
    Ethernet card and their modem. I checked the Asus site and there is a
    dwnload for Marvel/ethernet driverx64. Assuming the x64 driver works, do you
    see any problems w/ a modem (theirs(verizon) or any others). If I may ask,
    how do you get on the net? Will Net zero work etc. (I am guessing MSN will,
    I believe it comes w/ Verizon and I like to think MSN would work on this o/s,
    seeing as it's already installed) But, Hey we're talking Microsoft here!!
    Once again Thank you. You have been very helpful

    -
    Bob R

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=, Dec 5, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Marvel is good about WHQL on their drivers, so I would go to Microsoft
    update first and you should be offered the latest Marvel drivers approved by
    Microsoft. ASUS hasn't been too reliable about posting updates, at least
    for my board.
    Since NetZero has their own start-up dialer, it may be iffy, as AOL doesn't
    work

    John Barnes, Dec 5, 2005
  11. The Marvel driver on the ASUS site works fine, I've got it running on two
    machines here. It won't matter what modem Verizon wants you to use, so long
    as it has an ethernet connection for the LAN side. No USB, please.

    Don't see why you would want to use NetZero or any other. I may not love
    Verizon, but it works and it's pretty straightforward to set up. When I was
    in Verizon's area, I used them as my CLEC, and MegaPath as my ISP. I was
    very happy with MegaPath.

    If you have only a single machine, you don't need it, but if you'll have
    more than one connecting, you'll want a Gateway/Router between your machine
    and the modem. Much cleaner than using ICS and some definite advantages.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFI=?=

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, not sure where you are with this post and what m/b you have but X64 has
    the marvel yukon driver for the A8V, which may well be the same driver for
    you......
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Dec 5, 2005