    looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    apkesh
    Apkesh, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Apkesh

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
    MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
    It sells for under $300.
    Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
    Rosita
    HRosita, Nov 16, 2004

  3. "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the
    > KONICA
    > MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
    > It sells for under $300.
    > Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
    > Rosita

    And doing it yourself will take you the rest of your life! :)
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 16, 2004
  4. "Apkesh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
    > scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
    > looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    > Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    > apkesh

    One way is to project the slides onto a screen and photograph the images
    with a digicam.
    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Apkesh

    Glenn Jacobs Guest

    On 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT, HRosita wrote:

    > From: et (HRosita)
    > Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    > Date: 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT
    > Subject: Re: getting negatives scanned
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
    > MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
    > It sells for under $300.
    > Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
    > Rosita

    I have a Minolta Dimage III and have scanned in a lot of slides and
    negatives with good results. Before I got that I used a nikon slide copier
    with a closeup lense hooked up a digital camera which worked well at least
    to the resolution of the camera.
    --
    JakeInHartsel
    Glenn Jacobs, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Apkesh

    YAG-ART Guest

    Depending on how many you have, it maybe cheaper to buy a $500 film
    scanner.

    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Apkesh

    ECM Guest

    (Apkesh) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
    > scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
    > looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    > Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    > apkesh

    I've not had any luck with farming out this task to others. Even at a
    "high quality" shop, with a state of the art scanner, the scans were
    fairly lousy - the color was off, they were overexposed-looking, and
    they didn't take care about dust on the negative. They told me they
    used Digital Ice, but I don't believe it - it doubles the time
    required to scan the negatives. The scans were also too low resolution
    to be very useful - they were not willing to go much better than
    1024X768 pixels because it takes too much time - that was about the
    equivalent of a 2 Mpixel camera; I wanted at least 2048X1536 (~4
    Mpixel) for archiving.

    My experience at another high-end shop was the same. At Walmart, the
    quality was abysmal - not worth even the $4 it cost. I'd recommend you
    bite the bullet and get a good scanner, preferably with Digital Ice to
    get rid of dust and scratches. The Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 is a
    good choice, so is the Nikon CoolScan V ED - both will do exactly what
    you want.

    Good Luck!
    ECM
    ECM, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Apkesh

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT, et (HRosita) wrote:

    >One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
    >MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
    >It sells for under $300.
    >Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune

    Depends on how many negatives one has. I figure I have maybe 100, but no
    more than 200 to scan. I doubt a commercial place is more than $1.50 a
    negative.

    Now my parents have lots of slides, but not so sure I want to take on that
    project!

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
    Don Wiss, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Apkesh

    Steven Gray Guest

    (Apkesh) wrote in

    > Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
    > scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
    > looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    > Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    > apkesh

    In the southern US, Sam's Club will scan negatives at a very reasonable
    price. I don't know about Canada.

    --
    Steve Gray
    Steven Gray, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Apkesh

    Tom Ellliott Guest

    The following is worth a try and it is cheap with good resolution.
    http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
    Not recommend but it worked for me.
    Yours,
    Tom

    Tom Ellliott, Nov 17, 2004
  11. Apkesh

    Geoff Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT, et (HRosita) wrote:
    >

    >>One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
    >>MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
    >>It sells for under $300.
    >>Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune

    > Depends on how many negatives one has. I figure I have maybe 100, but no
    > more than 200 to scan. I doubt a commercial place is more than $1.50 a
    > negative.
    >
    > Now my parents have lots of slides, but not so sure I want to take on that
    > project!
    >
    > Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    This is a coincidence: your query came up just as I'd finished scanning
    around 700 slides. I bought a scanner specially for the task - Visioneer
    9020, which also has negative scanning facilities - for around 115 UKP.
    No complaints at all, even with half frame slides, except of course for
    the vast amount of time it all took. And I still have a halfway decent
    scanner now the job's done.
    I'm making the assumption that you want to put the files on to CD, to
    view on-screen.
    GH
    Geoff, Nov 17, 2004
  12. hi Apkesh,

    We offer a very competitive scanning service at up to 4000dpi. We are
    based in the UK but would be happy to take on your project. You can
    see our pricing structure at http://www.pixstudio.co.uk, or you can
    email me at if you have any questions.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    Chris Todhunter, Nov 17, 2004
  13. Apkesh

    Apkesh Guest

    Sam's club in Canada would scan it, but like the previous poster
    mentioned, the resolutin is very low, I belive something like 1024 or
    may be one step low, which is really useless.

    Apkesh, Nov 17, 2004
  14. Apkesh

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 17 Nov 2004 14:46:36 -0800, (Apkesh) wrote:

    >Sam's club in Canada would scan it, but like the previous poster
    >mentioned, the resolutin is very low, I belive something like 1024 or
    >may be one step low, which is really useless.

    A while back I stopped by my local camera store. They have a place they
    send stuff to be scanned. I asked them the resolution for negatives. He
    said 300 d.p.i. I said that made no sense for a negative that is about 1"
    square. He insisted he was right. So I left.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
    Don Wiss, Nov 17, 2004
  15. Apkesh

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > On 17 Nov 2004 14:46:36 -0800, (Apkesh) wrote:
    >

    >>Sam's club in Canada would scan it, but like the previous poster
    >>mentioned, the resolutin is very low, I belive something like 1024 or
    >>may be one step low, which is really useless.

    > A while back I stopped by my local camera store. They have a place they
    > send stuff to be scanned. I asked them the resolution for negatives. He
    > said 300 d.p.i. I said that made no sense for a negative that is about 1"
    > square. He insisted he was right. So I left.

    Hi...

    New invention. 35mm contact prints :)

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Nov 17, 2004
  16. Apkesh

    Bob Guest

    "Apkesh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
    > scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
    > looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    > Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    > apkesh

    Look around for a Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart slide/negative scanner or a
    Minolta Dimage Scan Dual new or used. Scan your negs and then sell the
    scanner (if you don't decide to keep it!). I have the HP slide and neg.
    scanner. It's slow, but it works well. Having them scanned somewhere will
    likely cost you as much as buying a scanner.

    Good luck,
    Bob

    Bob, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Apkesh

    kpfeif Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message news:<419beda4$1_2@127.0.0.1>...
    > "Apkesh" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
    > > scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
    > > looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
    > > Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
    > > apkesh

    > Look around for a Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart slide/negative scanner or a
    > Minolta Dimage Scan Dual new or used. Scan your negs and then sell the
    > scanner (if you don't decide to keep it!). I have the HP slide and neg.
    > scanner. It's slow, but it works well. Having them scanned somewhere will
    > likely cost you as much as buying a scanner.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Bob

    I have both the HP Photosmart S20 and the Nikon Super Coolscan
    LS-4000. While the HP does an ok job, its dynamic range is a bit
    limited, as is its resolution. It is cheap, and Hamrick Software's
    VueScan makes the most out of the scanner.

    The LS-4000 is two classes above the S20, and the price reflects it.
    I bought the Nikon after realizing that scanning the thousands of
    slides I needed to scan would take me forever, and dust always seemed
    to be a problem with the HP. The LS-4000 with its attached SF-200(s)
    slide feeder it fantastic, and the DigitalICE feature does a great job
    with specs and scratches. If you have 1,000+ slides, I would
    recommend buying a Nikon off ebay, use it, then sell it. I'm nearing
    the end of my 5,000 slide project, so I'll be selling it soon.

    Good luck,
    Kris
    kpfeif, Nov 18, 2004