Getting my tool bars back to the way they were?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Wednesday while trying to clean up my desktop I added to icons to my
    Quick start menu. When I did that it expanded the small window with
    some of those icons completely across the bottom of the screen, rather
    than leaving a small up window for me to click on.

    At the same time it reduced the apparent size of my toolbar on the
    right that shows what programs run on start up or if I have added them
    (such as the weather monitor) since startup. Now it is only 9 icons,
    or 3 by 3. Some of what should be showing is not.

    It also moved the display of what programs I have running from in
    between the Quick start menu and the main menu to above the Quick
    start menu.

    Also now the bar across the bottom of the screen is two icons tall
    rather than one.

    I hope the description is not too confusing.

    My question is, how do I restore it to where it was with the Quick
    start menu on the left, directly to the right of the start icon, and
    then the taskbar (I think) and finally the main menu on the right.

    Thank you all so much for your help. I seems to be the small
    bothersome glitches that get me into trouble.

    I am working win WinXP pro and my HP Pavilion laptop computer.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Please grant me:
    the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
    the courage to change the one that I can
    the wisdom to know that it is me
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:56:42 GMT, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    >Wednesday while trying to clean up my desktop I added to icons to my
    >Quick start menu. When I did that it expanded the small window with
    >some of those icons completely across the bottom of the screen, rather
    >than leaving a small up window for me to click on.

    This is the sort of post that needs a screenshot.

    >At the same time it reduced the apparent size of my toolbar on the
    >right that shows what programs run on start up or if I have added them
    >(such as the weather monitor) since startup. Now it is only 9 icons,
    >or 3 by 3. Some of what should be showing is not.
    >
    >It also moved the display of what programs I have running from in
    >between the Quick start menu and the main menu to above the Quick
    >start menu.
    >
    >Also now the bar across the bottom of the screen is two icons tall
    >rather than one.

    Then you select the top edge of the bar and adjust the size up/down.

    >I hope the description is not too confusing.
    >
    >My question is, how do I restore it to where it was with the Quick
    >start menu on the left, directly to the right of the start icon, and
    >then the taskbar (I think) and finally the main menu on the right.

    The Quich start / tooltray are managed by the properties of the toolbar.
    If the toolbar isn't locked, you should see small vertical gray bars
    used to adjust the sizes horizontally.

    If you select the bars and move it on to the desktop it turned it into a
    little box rather than next to 'Start'

    On the toolbar find a unused area next to the 'Start' button or on the
    right, Then right click / select what you need -

    Properties
    Lock
    Toolbars

    Don't forget www.google.com search for something like

    windows xp manage toolbar

    you get,

    www.theeldergeek.com/unlock_and_customize_toolbars.htm
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/default.mspx
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/hassler1.mspx
    http://malektips.com/windows_xp_taskbar_-_toolbar_-_start_menu_help_and_tips.html
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&messageID=1781241&threadID=160509
    http://windows.about.com/od/customizingwindows/ss/showquicklaunch.htm

    or as it's a MS OS, use the built in MS help.

    Start / Help and Support

    search for toolbar

    search for quick launch

    >Thank you all so much for your help. I seems to be the small
    >bothersome glitches that get me into trouble.
    >

    >I am working win WinXP pro and my HP Pavilion laptop computer.

    The XP bit could go at the top or at least say Win XP in the subject.

    Me
    why?, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Re: Getting my tool bars back to the way they were?-Att:why

    I knew it was a simple fix. Thank you so much. I printed out your
    reply and will save it just in case I do something stupid like this
    again

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:45:07 GMT, why?

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 5, 2008
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    dadiOH Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    > I knew it was a simple fix. Thank you so much. I printed out your
    > reply and will save it just in case I do something stupid like this
    > again

    Or, you could learn a bit more about taskbars and toolbars and make
    them more useful. Nowhere is it written that there has to be a
    taskbar one icon high at the bottom of the screen. That height means
    minimized app names are all scrunched together...it can be made higher
    or moved to a side. And it is also not written that it has to be
    visible - occupying space - when you aren't using it...it can be set
    to "auto hide".

    If you want to know more see my dandies in "Handy Dandies - Info &
    Tips About This & That"

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...