    the office wireless network having downloaded the wirelsess software but I
    can't get the fiel sharing from the two other PCs I once had. Any ideas?

    Where do I get the settings from for that sort of access?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGlwcw==?=, Aug 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGlwcw==?=

    Malke Guest

    Pips wrote:

    > Right, I have recently had to get a new hard drive for my laptop and this
    > has deleted all previous settings - I have managed to connect to the
    > internet on the office wireless network having downloaded the wirelsess
    > software but I can't get the fiel sharing from the two other PCs I once
    > had. Any ideas?
    >
    > Where do I get the settings from for that sort of access?

    This is not a wireless issue but rather is because you have to set up your
    local area network (lan) sharing again. Can you get the Internet at home?
    I'm assuming you can and that you are just missing the file sharing. I'm
    also assuming that you are running Windows XP. If you are running some
    other operating system, then post back with more details. Here is a link
    that will show you what you need to include in your next post.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    For the lan sharing, run the Network Setup Wizard on the computer, making
    sure to enable File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is
    that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
    third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
    Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're
    fine. If you have third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the
    Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls
    with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
    would substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User