    --
    ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    http://www.rspearson.com/
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 5, 2004

  2. BrainstormingSW wrote:
    > I do a lot of autosurfs for hits to my web page, and I notice
    > that since I changed from Netscape 7.1 to Mozilla 1.6
    > I am getting the Javascrpt error message "Must use version
    > 4.0 or higher." Does anyone know how I can prevent this error?
    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    If the error does not inhibit your use of the site, just clcik thriough
    it and ignore it. Its a browser sniffer that is only looking for
    Netscape or IE.

    You could spoof the UA, using one of several extensions that permit
    this, chief among them the Preferences Toolbar:

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    For what its worth, using recent nightly builds of Firefox and MOzilla
    1.7, I'm getting no errors at the sites in your sig, if those are the
    ones about which you are concerned. Also checked in Moz 1.6, no
    problems noted.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 5, 2004

  3. >BrainstormingSW wrote:
    >> I do a lot of autosurfs for hits to my web page, and I notice
    >> that since I changed from Netscape 7.1 to Mozilla 1.6
    >> I am getting the Javascrpt error message "Must use version
    >> 4.0 or higher." Does anyone know how I can prevent this error?
    >> --
    >> Robert Pearson
    >> --
    >> ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >> http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>

    >If the error does not inhibit your use of the site, just clcik thriough
    >it and ignore it. Its a browser sniffer that is only looking for
    >Netscape or IE.

    Actually, it does...if a TE (Traffic Exchange) hits one of these sites
    because of some kind of ticking/clocking code, it will recur the message
    every time after I click it off (hitting enter).

    >You could spoof the UA, using one of several extensions that permit
    >this, chief among them the Preferences Toolbar:

    Not sure what "UA" stands for. I think I would like to try that.

    >http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >
    >For what its worth, using recent nightly builds of Firefox and MOzilla
    >1.7, I'm getting no errors at the sites in your sig, if those are the
    >ones about which you are concerned. Also checked in Moz 1.6, no
    >problems noted.

    These are the kinds of sites I'm referring to:
    http://www.paramind.net/paramindtrafficexchanges.html

    Thanks,

    Robert

    --
    Robert Pearson
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 5, 2004
  4. BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>BrainstormingSW wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do a lot of autosurfs for hits to my web page, and I notice
    >>>that since I changed from Netscape 7.1 to Mozilla 1.6
    >>>I am getting the Javascrpt error message "Must use version
    >>>4.0 or higher." Does anyone know how I can prevent this error?
    >>>--
    >>>Robert Pearson
    >>>--
    >>>ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >>>http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>>

    >>If the error does not inhibit your use of the site, just clcik thriough
    >>it and ignore it. Its a browser sniffer that is only looking for
    >>Netscape or IE.

    > Actually, it does...if a TE (Traffic Exchange) hits one of these sites
    > because of some kind of ticking/clocking code, it will recur the message
    > every time after I click it off (hitting enter).
    >

    >>You could spoof the UA, using one of several extensions that permit
    >>this, chief among them the Preferences Toolbar:

    > Not sure what "UA" stands for. I think I would like to try that.
    >

    >>http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >>For what its worth, using recent nightly builds of Firefox and MOzilla
    >>1.7, I'm getting no errors at the sites in your sig, if those are the
    >>ones about which you are concerned. Also checked in Moz 1.6, no
    >>problems noted.

    > These are the kinds of sites I'm referring to:
    > http://www.paramind.net/paramindtrafficexchanges.html
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Robert
    >

    >>Lee
    >>
    >>--
    >>Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    >>Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    >>http://mozilla.org
    >>

    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    No problem with Firefox on that site.

    UA=User Agent

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 5, 2004
  5. >BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>>If the error does not inhibit your use of the site, just clcik thriough
    >>>it and ignore it. Its a browser sniffer that is only looking for
    >>>Netscape or IE.

    >> Actually, it does...if a TE (Traffic Exchange) hits one of these sites
    >> because of some kind of ticking/clocking code, it will recur the message
    >> every time after I click it off (hitting enter).
    >>

    >>>You could spoof the UA, using one of several extensions that permit
    >>>this, chief among them the Preferences Toolbar:

    >> Not sure what "UA" stands for. I think I would like to try that.
    >>

    >>>http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >>>
    >>>For what its worth, using recent nightly builds of Firefox and MOzilla
    >>>1.7, I'm getting no errors at the sites in your sig, if those are the
    >>>ones about which you are concerned. Also checked in Moz 1.6, no
    >>>problems noted.

    >> These are the kinds of sites I'm referring to:
    >> http://www.paramind.net/paramindtrafficexchanges.html
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Robert
    >>

    >>>Lee
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    >>>Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>>The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    >>>http://mozilla.org
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Robert Pearson
    >> --
    >> ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >> http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>

    >No problem with Firefox on that site.

    The sites I"m referring to are
    not my site, but sites I'm going to via Traffic Exchanges.

    >UA=User Agent
    >
    >Lee
    >
    >--
    >Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    >Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    >http://mozilla.org

    Is Firefox a Mozilla build?

    Problem is though, I have many mail accounts that Mozilla seemlessly copied
    over from Netscape 7.1
    and a large password file that is pretty much essential to my business right
    now.
    --
    Robert Pearson
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 6, 2004
  6. BrainstormingSW

    Moz Champion Guest

    BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>>Actually, it does...if a TE (Traffic Exchange) hits one of these sites
    >>>because of some kind of ticking/clocking code, it will recur the message
    >>>every time after I click it off (hitting enter).

    >>>Not sure what "UA" stands for. I think I would like to try that.

    >>>These are the kinds of sites I'm referring to:
    >>>http://www.paramind.net/paramindtrafficexchanges.html
    >>>

    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Robert

    >>>--
    >>>Robert Pearson
    >>>--
    >>>ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >>>http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>>

    >>No problem with Firefox on that site.
    >>

    > The sites I"m referring to are
    > not my site, but sites I'm going to via Traffic Exchanges.
    >

    >>UA=User Agent
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>
    >>--
    >>Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    >>Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    >>http://mozilla.org
    >>

    > Is Firefox a Mozilla build?
    >
    > Problem is though, I have many mail accounts that Mozilla seemlessly copied
    > over from Netscape 7.1
    > and a large password file that is pretty much essential to my business right
    > now.
    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    Firefox is a development off the Mozilla branch. It is basically a stand alone browser program that split off from Mozilla, two versions ago. Tho similar, it is a different program.

    Mozilla didnt copy anything over from Netscape 7. Netscape 7 was actually Mozilla 1.4 in disguise, so when you installed Mozilla, it simply continued using the same profiles.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Apr 6, 2004
  7. >
    >BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>>No problem with Firefox on that site.
    >>>

    >> The sites I"m referring to are
    >> not my site, but sites I'm going to via Traffic Exchanges.
    >>

    >>>UA=User Agent
    >>>
    >>>Lee
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    >>>Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>>The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    >>>http://mozilla.org
    >>>

    >> Is Firefox a Mozilla build?
    >>
    >> Problem is though, I have many mail accounts that Mozilla seemlessly copied
    >> over from Netscape 7.1
    >> and a large password file that is pretty much essential to my business

    >right
    >> now.
    >> --
    >> Robert Pearson
    >> --
    >> ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >> http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>

    >Firefox is a development off the Mozilla branch. It is basically a stand
    >alone browser program that split off from Mozilla, two versions ago. Tho
    >similar, it is a different program.
    >
    >Mozilla didnt copy anything over from Netscape 7. Netscape 7 was actually
    >Mozilla 1.4 in disguise, so when you installed Mozilla, it simply continued
    >using the same profiles.

    I'm actually finding Mozilla pretty unstable as far as doing multiple Traffic
    Exchanges, having many tabs up in Mozilla, and multitasking other applications.

    XP has been up for about 10 hours without a reboot.

    Do you think Firefox could handle a lot of wear more without crashing as much?

    Would Firefox install over Mozilla and keep the e-mail and passwords?

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Pearson
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 7, 2004
  8. BrainstormingSW

    Moz Champion Guest

    BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>>The sites I"m referring to are
    >>>not my site, but sites I'm going to via Traffic Exchanges.

    >>>Is Firefox a Mozilla build?
    >>>
    >>>Problem is though, I have many mail accounts that Mozilla seemlessly copied
    >>>over from Netscape 7.1
    >>>and a large password file that is pretty much essential to my business

    >>right
    >>
    >>>now.
    >>>--
    >>>Robert Pearson
    >>>--
    >>>ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >>>http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>>

    >>Firefox is a development off the Mozilla branch. It is basically a stand
    >>alone browser program that split off from Mozilla, two versions ago. Tho
    >>similar, it is a different program.
    >>
    >>Mozilla didnt copy anything over from Netscape 7. Netscape 7 was actually
    >>Mozilla 1.4 in disguise, so when you installed Mozilla, it simply continued
    >>using the same profiles.
    >>

    > I'm actually finding Mozilla pretty unstable as far as doing multiple Traffic
    > Exchanges, having many tabs up in Mozilla, and multitasking other applications.
    >
    > XP has been up for about 10 hours without a reboot.
    >
    > Do you think Firefox could handle a lot of wear more without crashing as much?
    >
    > Would Firefox install over Mozilla and keep the e-mail and passwords?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    Firefox is still listed as a 'technological preview' so while it is quite stable for most users, I would not expect it to be MORE stable than Mozilla 1.6 (a release version)

    Um, since other users using both Mozilla 1.7 and Mozilla 1.6 as well as Firefox are not, repeat not, seeing the same errors you are, then it may not be a problem with the program per se, but rather specific to your installation and profile.

    Have you created a new profile as a test and tried it with that, do you still get the same errors/crashes? Do you have the latest java for your machine and OS?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2004
  9. BrainstormingSW wrote:

    >>>The sites I"m referring to are
    >>>not my site, but sites I'm going to via Traffic Exchanges.

    >>>Is Firefox a Mozilla build?
    >>>
    >>>Problem is though, I have many mail accounts that Mozilla seemlessly copied
    >>>over from Netscape 7.1
    >>>and a large password file that is pretty much essential to my business

    >>right
    >>
    >>>now.
    >>>--
    >>>Robert Pearson
    >>>--
    >>>ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    >>>http://www.rspearson.com/
    >>>

    >>Firefox is a development off the Mozilla branch. It is basically a stand
    >>alone browser program that split off from Mozilla, two versions ago. Tho
    >>similar, it is a different program.
    >>
    >>Mozilla didnt copy anything over from Netscape 7. Netscape 7 was actually
    >>Mozilla 1.4 in disguise, so when you installed Mozilla, it simply continued
    >>using the same profiles.
    >>

    > I'm actually finding Mozilla pretty unstable as far as doing multiple Traffic
    > Exchanges, having many tabs up in Mozilla, and multitasking other applications.
    >
    > XP has been up for about 10 hours without a reboot.
    >
    > Do you think Firefox could handle a lot of wear more without crashing as much?
    >
    > Would Firefox install over Mozilla and keep the e-mail and passwords?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    Firefox is a browser only, no email component. You would have to use
    Thunderbird for mail, or continue using Moz. FF does not use the Moz
    profiles, you would have to transfer any data such as bookmarsks,
    cookies, and passwords.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 7, 2004
  10. The exact error I am getting is the error message that has "Javascrpt
    Application" in its title bar: and says "This page does not support your
    browser. A browser version 4.0 or higher is required."

    A web page's code is obviously triggering it and Netscape didn't
    give me this problem.

    I do run the current version of Java but not sure that would do it as I
    thought Javascrpt was handled internally by the browser not externally
    by the Java console.
    --
    Robert Pearson
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 10, 2004
  11. BrainstormingSW wrote:

    > The exact error I am getting is the error message that has "Javascrpt
    > Application" in its title bar: and says "This page does not support your
    > browser. A browser version 4.0 or higher is required."
    >
    > A web page's code is obviously triggering it and Netscape didn't
    > give me this problem.
    >
    > I do run the current version of Java but not sure that would do it as I
    > thought Javascrpt was handled internally by the browser not externally
    > by the Java console.
    > --
    > Robert Pearson
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
    > http://www.rspearson.com/

    I'll try once again. Give an axact uri of a page that gives you this
    problem. You speak in generalities, we need specifics in order to help
    at all.

    Java and Javascript have nothing to do with one another.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 10, 2004
  12. BrainstormingSW

    Dennis Guest

    ojunk (BrainstormingSW) wrote in message news:<>...
    > The exact error I am getting is the error message that has "Javascrpt
    > Application" in its title bar: and says "This page does not support your
    > browser. A browser version 4.0 or higher is required."
    >
    > A web page's code is obviously triggering it and Netscape didn't
    > give me this problem.
    >
    > I do run the current version of Java but not sure that would do it as I
    > thought Javascrpt was handled internally by the browser not externally
    > by the Java console.

    This has nothing to do with Java. Java and Javascript are two
    different languages whose only relationship is that they both have
    Java as part of the name. (Javascript was originally called
    "Livescript". Renaming it Javascript was a poorly thought out
    marketing idea by someone at Netscape back when, and has been a source
    of confusion ever since.)

    The website you visit tries to figure out what browser you are using
    so it can adjust its output to better match what the browser can do.
    It uses Javascript to perform the test. A lot of the browser sniffing
    code out there is old and crappy, and understands only IE and Netscape
    4.X. If you use something else, you get an error message. Your
    browser may well support what the website does, but the website
    doesn't know that.

    Long term, we can hope that websites will update and use better
    browser recognition code.

    Really long term, we can hope that all browsers will become standards
    compliant and such tests won't be necessary because all browsers will
    behave the same way when rendering a site. (Hey, I can dream...)

    Short term, there are a couple of extensions for Netscape
    7.X/Mozilla/Firefox that will let you send a different User Agent
    string when the website says "Hi! What browser are you using?", and
    will often solve the problem. Go to http://extensionroom.mozdev.org
    and have a look. Lots of neat stuff there.

    Meanwhile, drop a note to the webmaster of sites that display this
    behavior, and suggest they update thier site to recognize NS7/Mozilla
    as capable browsers.

    > Robert Pearson

    ______
    Dennis
    Dennis, Apr 10, 2004
  13. I don't have the URL of the pages.
    I run several different browsers at once and it's almost impossible to tell
    which one it is coming from. It shouldn't make that much of a difference...it
    is probably happening on several pages because it's a common error.

    What you're basically saying is that you don't know how to fix an error like
    this.

    Anyway, it seems a major flaw in Mozilla.
    --
    Robert Pearson
    BrainstormingSW, Apr 14, 2004
  14. Thanks Dennis.