Getting into midi?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    At the moment I have a 16 bit SB platinum card that I took from my old
    system. I managed to download the creative mixer for the site which
    works with XP, but none of the old software works, so I lost all the
    virtual midi instruments/software I was starting to get into
    previously.

    I just wondered what the best way to go is now if I want to get more
    into the midi side of things?

    I have Cubasis, Wave Editors etc which I'm all familiar with. However
    I would like to get into the midi side of things more and get a
    controller keyboard and also a new 32 bit soundcard, so I can also
    dabble with the midi side of things instead of the wave audio samples
    etc.

    What soundcard would you recommend and also which controller keyboard?
    I still would definitely need the optical input and output as I have
    my sky box connected for digital sound quality as I listen to digital
    radio from that. Also I need the output for my MiniDisc. So a
    soundcard with the front panel thing would be needed. What would you
    recommend? Should I go with Creative again? Are they the only decent
    option or are there any other alternatives? Yamaha? Do they still
    make em? Terratec?, E-MU? Or is that getting too expensive?

    When I said they (creative) are the only decent option, I know that a
    lot of people would say never to buy creative sound cards for serious
    music production, however I have been satisfied with their cards in
    the past and am comfortable using them, and you do seem to get
    countless features. The only problem I've ever had in the past was
    with the live drive that goes in the front of the system. I believe
    that was down to faulty connections though and I got a replacement
    which has been fine since.

    Cheers for any advice

    John
    John, Nov 23, 2004