    access the files that are on the hard disk?

    Thanks!

    , Sep 23, 2007

  2. Moe Trin Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>,
    wrote:

    >I have a pc that has Pointsec installed. This pc has recently had a
    >corrupt registry problem and fails to log in to Windows XP.

    You are posting from a search engine - did you try searching for the
    string 'Pointsec recovery' or similar?

    >We need to get some file off the hard drive BEFORE we turn it over to
    >corporate IT because they are personal (not illegal) files and our IT
    >typically formats first and troubleshoots second.

    Well, maybe you learned from this incident to not put personal shit on
    company systems - but if they're simply going to format and reinstall
    who cares about your personal file which shouldn't have been there in
    the first place. They won't be looking for it.

    >My question is is there a dos level utility that I might be able to
    >boot from CD, enter my Pointsec password, with USB support so I can
    >access the files that are on the hard disk?

    Again - are you to lazy to use the search engine you are posting from?

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Sep 23, 2007

  3. nemo_outis Guest

    (Moe Trin) wrote in

    > Again - are you to lazy to use the search engine you are posting from?
    >
    > Old guy

    Aside from the lad being an idiot in the first place for putting files on
    the company computer, and a lazy sod in the second place for not doing
    his google homework, there is another solution that will ensure his
    private data does not fall into company hands:

    Boot from a CD, fill the entire drive with random data overwriting
    everything that is currently there, and then call the company IT folks
    and plaintively whine, "My computer has gone strange; please come and fix
    it." Based on his post here, he should have no trouble feigning
    ignorance :)

    He won't get his data back, but it won't fall into company hands.

    Regards,

    PS If he is industrious, he could make a sector-by-sector image of the
    drive first to CD/DVD or such so he had some (very remote) chance of
    recovering the data later after he got off his ass and did some googling
    about recovery methods for Pointsec.

    PPS One wonders why he never invested a few bucks in a USB stick before
    getting himself into this predicament. Or...

    nemo_outis, Sep 23, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Sep 23, 10:28 am, (Moe Trin)
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have a pc that has Pointsec installed. This pc has recently had a
    > >corrupt registry problem and fails to log in to Windows XP.

    > You are posting from a search engine - did you try searching for the
    > string 'Pointsec recovery' or similar?
    >
    > >We need to get some file off the hard drive BEFORE we turn it over to
    > >corporate IT because they are personal (not illegal) files and our IT
    > >typically formats first and troubleshoots second.

    > Well, maybe you learned from this incident to not put personal shit on
    > company systems - but if they're simply going to format and reinstall
    > who cares about your personal file which shouldn't have been there in
    > the first place. They won't be looking for it.
    >
    > >My question is is there a dos level utility that I might be able to
    > >boot from CD, enter my Pointsec password, with USB support so I can
    > >access the files that are on the hard disk?

    > Again - are you to lazy to use the search engine you are posting from?
    >
    > Old guy

    OF COURSE I searched for the solution via google with similar words
    that you indicated. Did you do that and come up with something? If
    you did, post it and you might have a point. If not, your accusations
    and judgements that I didn't do that first makes YOU the idiot.

    Instead of giving me help, you and the other IDIOT just want to give
    me unprofessional moral judging instead of tech support.

    Nevermind. I'll go to a group who's users' IQs aren't in single
    digits.

    , Sep 24, 2007
  5. nemo_outis Guest

    wrote in

    > Nevermind. I'll go to a group who's users' IQs aren't in single
    > digits.

    Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 24, 2007
  6. anders Guest

    Den Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:47:37 -0700 skrev tommynospam:

    > On Sep 23, 10:28 am, (Moe Trin) wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in
    >> article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a pc that has Pointsec installed. This pc has recently had a
    >> >corrupt registry problem and fails to log in to Windows XP.

    >> You are posting from a search engine - did you try searching for the
    >> string 'Pointsec recovery' or similar?
    >>
    >> >We need to get some file off the hard drive BEFORE we turn it over to
    >> >corporate IT because they are personal (not illegal) files and our IT
    >> >typically formats first and troubleshoots second.

    >> Well, maybe you learned from this incident to not put personal shit on
    >> company systems - but if they're simply going to format and reinstall
    >> who cares about your personal file which shouldn't have been there in
    >> the first place. They won't be looking for it.
    >>
    >> >My question is is there a dos level utility that I might be able to
    >> >boot from CD, enter my Pointsec password, with USB support so I can
    >> >access the files that are on the hard disk?

    >> Again - are you to lazy to use the search engine you are posting from?
    >>
    >> Old guy

    > OF COURSE I searched for the solution via google with similar words that
    > you indicated. Did you do that and come up with something? If you did,
    > post it and you might have a point. If not, your accusations and
    > judgements that I didn't do that first makes YOU the idiot.
    >
    > Instead of giving me help, you and the other IDIOT just want to give me
    > unprofessional moral judging instead of tech support.
    >
    > Nevermind. I'll go to a group who's users' IQs aren't in single digits.

    http://www.google.se/search?q=Pointsec
    +recovery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:sv-
    SE:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

    149000 results

    http://se.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=Pointsec
    +recovery&kgs=0&kls=1

    69500 results

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Pointsec recovery&fr=yfp-
    t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&vc=&fp_ip=SE

    74700 results

    All this on Pointsec recovery, I din't mind to try Pointsec+recovery and
    the moore obvious "Pointsec recovery".

    Feel free to use the results after you're own head.

    ((You have to figure out for you self how to get the tag's in to
    oneliners.))

    /Anders

    anders, Sep 24, 2007
  7. Ari Guest

    On 24 Sep 2007 01:35:28 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > wrote in

    >> Nevermind. I'll go to a group who's users' IQs aren't in single
    >> digits.

    > Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
    >
    > Regards,

    I guess you confirmed who Idiot 2 was, nemo. :) :)
    --
    "You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself"
    Ken Thompson "Reflections on Trusting Trust"

    Ari, Sep 26, 2007