    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:54:48 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    >I used to know some trick for converting a long path name in XP to its

    That's nice :)

    >'DOS' short name equivalent. It was something to do with dragging it
    >or pasting it into an XP Command Prompt window. But I'm darned if I

    Neither of those.

    >can recall it now. Anyone able to help please? Objective is to get
    >this into short form, as I think the old program I'm working with
    >expects its INI file to contain a reference in that form.
    >
    >C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

    dir /x , displays short paths as you change dirs. It's not that great.

    Command line util
    http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/dosname.1.asp
    looks like info only, didn't read all of it.

    Me
    why?, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Trax Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    |>I used to know some trick for converting a long path name in XP to its
    |>'DOS' short name equivalent. It was something to do with dragging it
    |>or pasting it into an XP Command Prompt window. But I'm darned if I
    |>can recall it now. Anyone able to help please? Objective is to get
    |>this into short form, as I think the old program I'm working with
    |>expects its INI file to contain a reference in that form.
    |>
    |>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

    The old fashion way count over 7 characters and add ~1
    c:\progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe

    If there is a space - leave it out (but it counts as one character)

    C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\acdss.exe
    becomes
    C:\Progra~1\ACDsys~1\ACDSee\acdsee.exe

    --
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/218350.htm#more
    Trax, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Trax Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    <resent, cause I screw's up>

    |>I used to know some trick for converting a long path name in XP to its
    |>'DOS' short name equivalent. It was something to do with dragging it
    |>or pasting it into an XP Command Prompt window. But I'm darned if I
    |>can recall it now. Anyone able to help please? Objective is to get
    |>this into short form, as I think the old program I'm working with
    |>expects its INI file to contain a reference in that form.
    |>
    |>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

    The old fashion way count over 6 characters and add ~1
    c:\progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe

    If there is a space - leave it out

    C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\acdss.exe
    becomes
    C:\Progra~1\ACDsys~1\ACDSee\acdsee.exe

    ----
    I cut out "(but it counts as one character)" trying to justify the 7
    :}

    --
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/218350.htm#more
    Trax, Nov 14, 2005