    certifications would be the best right now to get a new job? MCSE, MCDBA or
    MCSD

    Thanks
    Jeff Taylor, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Jeff Taylor

    Consultant Guest

    are you making good money now, with steady work?

    "Jeff Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > I just wanted to get opinions from some technical people.
    >
    > I have a degree in Marketing and have worked in this industry for ten

    years
    > and am think of a career change. I'd like to get into the IT field but I
    > think I'll need some type of certification to get my foot in the door.

    Which

    Consultant, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Jeff Taylor

    licknlabia Guest

    marketing people are not technical in any way, stick to your powerpoint
    presentations.

    why the hell would you want to switch careers to one that currently has no
    growth?

    licknlabia, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Jeff Taylor

    Jeff Taylor Guest

    *CLICK* ignore
    "licknlabia" <> wrote in message
    > Being sarcastic about something doesn't constitute anger.
    >
    > As far as developer, DBA or engineer's in the industry, what, can't you do
    > some marketing research analysis and come up with an answer?
    >
    > :p
    >
    > - Sarcastic S.O.B
    >

    > "Jeff Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Like I said I'm looking for a career change. I'm tired of Marketing,

    trying
    > to get people to spend money they don't have to buy thing they don't need.
    > I've always be keen on the technology stuff. I build my own PC's and I've
    > always been the one my co-workers turn to when they have PC issues.
    >
    > I guess my question really is: Currently in the IT industry is there a
    > greater need for developers DBA's or engineer's?
    >
    > Also, that one poster named LICKsomething, needs to take an anger

    management

    Jeff Taylor, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Jeff Taylor

    Jeff Taylor Guest

    Exactly, I think IT is more useful and will give satisfaction that is
    completely void in the Marketing industry. I'm mean to actually help people
    instead of lying to them would make me feel like a Human being...

    So, you think there's more demand for engineer's? I wouldn't mind older
    technology. I mean I'm prepared to immerse myself into learning, I know I
    don't have what it takes right now but I do know I have the ability to
    learn. I can build a PC, write excel macros and even do some access database
    stuff. I'm aware these are infintile abilities compared to the level some of
    you people are at but like I said, I can learn.

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:01ea01c35871$d3494910$...

    Jeff Taylor, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Jeff Taylor

    licknlabia Guest

    I just can't resist today.

    damn your skizzles are good, you shoud be an IT person.

    muahahahahaha

    seriously, you just relax and get used to this newsgroup if you're gonna
    hang out, we all give everyone a bad time once in awhile.

    - sarcastic SOB

    licknlabia, Aug 1, 2003
  7. Jeff Taylor

    billyw Guest

    they aren't infantile at all..
    they are the building blocks.. everyones been there..

    billyw, Aug 1, 2003
  8. Jeff Taylor

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Actually, he asks a very valid question.....

    If you are into marketing, what does your marketing analysis say?

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Aug 1, 2003
  9. Jeff Taylor

    Sam Guest

    maybe he's making money but he is more intrsted with
    Microsoft, yall take it easy on him arn't we cool
    ...WE COOOOOOOL

    Sam, Aug 2, 2003
  10. So u would rather try to convince management to spend money that they have
    but would rather spend on themselves, to buy things they do need?

    I am totally serious, the last job I found all the HW for a fibre-channel
    cluster setup(2 web, 2 SQL) including 2 * 32 port FC Switches, FC HBAs,
    Drive array(24*32GB HD) with redundent PS & controllers & 4 Dual Xeon
    1.8?(can't remember exact) for under $20,000 and had to twist their arms to
    get them to buy, meanwhile we were running off of a PIII 700 HP w/ 512MB for
    web & 1GB for SQL(constently crashing under heavy load), and they were
    averaging about $250,000 in sales a week(telemarketing)

    The experience I have had is that businesses want IT for free and 100%
    reliable.

    Please tell me this is just a small business thing!!! :-(

    David Maggard, Aug 2, 2003
  11. So are u saying its the same everywhere?

    I had hoped that it was a small town, small business problem?

    Now you've got me all depressed. :-(

    Someone shoot me.

    David Maggard, Aug 2, 2003
  12. Jeff Taylor

    licknlabia Guest

    licknlabia, Aug 2, 2003
  13. Jeff Taylor

    Guest

    >If you really have to ask between MCSE, MCDBA, and MCSD, you're REALLY lost.
    >They're three drastically different career fields. An MCDBA has to know
    >a -little- about what the other two know, but that's a bout it. MCSE and
    >MCSD are like night and day different.

    Would you care to explain the differences?

    Im a CAD designer.... would like to know myself.
    , Aug 4, 2003
  14. <> wrote in message
    > >If you really have to ask between MCSE, MCDBA, and MCSD, you're REALLY

    lost.
    > >They're three drastically different career fields. An MCDBA has to know
    > >a -little- about what the other two know, but that's a bout it. MCSE and
    > >MCSD are like night and day different.

    > Would you care to explain the differences?
    >
    > Im a CAD designer.... would like to know myself.

    An MCSE is a "systems engineer" who designs and sometimes maintains network
    systems.

    An MCDBA is a database administrator who designs and maintains a database
    system.

    An MCSD is a software developer.

    --
    Fris "An MCP is a nobody" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 4, 2003
  15. Jeff Taylor

    Consultant Guest

    i was asking a serious question

    Consultant, Aug 4, 2003
  16. "licknlabia" <> wrote in message

    > Please tell me this is just a small business thing!!! :-(

    Fraid not. I work for a fairly big shop, and we are having the exact same
    problem. I have about 3000 users and we can't get justification for fibre
    either. Over 150 servers, each with its own, private SCSI drives.
    msnews.microsoft.com, Sep 5, 2003
  17. "Jeff Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > I just wanted to get opinions from some technical people.
    >
    > I have a degree in Marketing and have worked in this industry for ten

    years
    > and am think of a career change. I'd like to get into the IT field but I
    > think I'll need some type of certification to get my foot in the door.

    Which
    > certifications would be the best right now to get a new job? MCSE, MCDBA

    or
    > MCSD
    >
    > Thanks

    As others have said, this depends entirely on what it is you are looking to
    do. As a stepping stone, you might want to look for work as a 'pre-sales
    engineer' these are quasi-techie-marketing types who go around and do
    product demos with the sales reps.

    When these guys come in to our office, it usually goes like this:

    Salesman: Our new product is super-amazing-funktastic and will save you
    money!

    Me(company network geek): Does it allow user authentication from external
    LDAP directory?

    Salesman: *shrugs*

    You (pre-sales guy): Yeah, it works with AD, OpenLDAP, and NDS out of the
    box!

    Me: Hoorah! I'd like 3000 liscences!

    To answer your original question about *which* cert to go chasing after, I'd
    say try the MCDBA. You already know a bit of access, and the MCDBA has a
    few requirements in common with the MCSE, so if you change your mind, you
    can switch with no wasted effort, or you can go nuts, and get both.

    Adam
    msnews.microsoft.com, Sep 5, 2003