Getting back into the Program Questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Amar Kapadia, May 28, 2006.

  1. Amar Kapadia

    Amar Kapadia Guest

    dear everyone:

    hoping this is the correct forum for my questions. if not, please do direct
    me to the correct one and I will repost. With that said, here is my
    situation followed by some questions.

    Last summer, I began the endeavor of trying to get a certification (MCAD).
    I purchased the Amit Kalani book (excellent by the way) for course 70-315
    ASP .NET programming. I had purchased the Visual Studio 2003 and had it
    installed on my laptop. And so I slowly (too slowly I think) began my
    studies of ASP .NET along with learning C# programming. I did exercises, I
    thought up some simple application myself and programmed them, and all in
    all was very much enjoying my learning. Along the way, I was making
    highlights in the book, summarizing the chapters, etc. It was a wonderful
    experience. I made it all the way to Chapter 6, but then, I got sort of
    lazy with it and just let myself slip. Now six or more months later I'm
    thinking about picking it all back up again and thus some questions for you.
    Thanks in advance.

    1) First direct question would be is there anything I need to adjust in my
    learning plan with the advent of .NET 2.0? Honestly, doing this all on my
    own, I don't expect to take my first test (70-315) till at least December
    2006. Am I learning something that will be outdated by then? I only ask
    because when I was learning last summer we were on .NET 1.1...and now we are
    on .NET 2.0.

    2) I used to use VS 2003 as my environment, but now I see we have Express
    Editions. Could I continue to use Amit Kalani's 70-315 book using the new
    development environments? Or will that mess me up by giving me access to
    new features which may not be on the testing environment for 70-315? Shall
    I just stick with VS 2003? You know VS 2003 was fine for me, but sometimes
    the IIS would behave funny giving me errors like "Unable to Start Debugger".
    Was frustrating and despite Google searchs and various solutions nothing
    really fixed it. I do like the new stuff Microsoft is giving for free.
    This is unbelievable and also, I love that I don't have to have XP Pro and
    its IIS server anymore. My new computer only has Windows Media Edition
    2005.

    3) I completely enjoyed my Amit Kalani's 70-315 Training Guide but shall I
    supplement that book with any others in preparation for my first 70-315
    exam?

    Okay, that was a lot of reading. Sorry. Again, thanks in advance for any
    guidance. Slowly but surely I need to get back into the swing of things.
    Its a lot of work though.

    Thank you
    Amar
    Amar Kapadia, May 28, 2006

  2. Amar Kapadia

    Cerebrus Guest

    Hi Amar,

    I always suggest to people that they should *not* start learning .NET
    with Certification books. They should choose another book if they're
    learning. If however, they find that they have a reasonable
    understanding of .NET, then only, they should proceed towards
    certification.

    These certifications demonstrate the considerable skill possessed by a
    candidate on the chosen area, gained after long practice, possibly work
    experience and much perseverance. They do not attest to the fact that
    you have *learnt* .NET.

    Now to answer your questions :

    1. I would suggest that you drop the idea of learning .NET 1.1 and
    start learning .NET 2.0. Since by the time, you will become proficient,
    ..NET 2.0 should be the rage. No point learning an older version, even
    if it isn't going to be obsolete for quite some time.

    2. Books for the older version of .NET will not suffice if you're going
    to use Express editions or VS 2005. There are major and widespread
    changes between the two versions. The IIS error you mentioned is very
    common, and usually due to configuration problems. It is not a problem
    per se with VS 2003.

    3. If you must go ahead and learn .NET 1.1 first (and give your
    favourite 70-315 exam)(which you mentioned six times in your post !),
    then Amit Kalani's books are rated the best for exam preparation. See
    the Exam Cram 2 book by Kalani as well. I also read the MS Press book
    as well, during my preparation.

    >> Its a lot of work though.

    Tell me about it !!! And by the time you finish it, they have a new
    version waiting ! ;-)

    HTH,

    Regards,

    Cerebrus.
    Cerebrus, May 28, 2006

  3. Amar Kapadia

    Amar Kapadia Guest

    dear cerebrus:
    thank you. that helps very much.
    I will checkout Amazon.com for some new books to begin my studies again
    (hopefully geared towards .NET 2.0 and the new Visual Studio editions)
    Depending on my results, I may contact you again.

    Amar Kapadia, May 30, 2006
  4. Amar Kapadia

    Cerebrus Guest

    Good Luck !