Getting back deleted email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by meerkat, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    news:f413kt$oiv$...
    > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my Outlook
    > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is winXP

    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    and search for *.dbx* files, BUT, if you install PCI on the
    drive where the files are, you stand the chance of over-writing
    them, so you should install it on your 2nd (?) drive.

    meerkat, Jun 4, 2007

  2. meerkat

    Vanguard Guest

    "don" wrote in message news:f413kt$oiv$...
    > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
    > Outlook
    > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is
    > winXP

    If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
    purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
    not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to yank
    out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If the
    folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups. If
    you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

    Vanguard, Jun 4, 2007

  3. meerkat

    don Guest

    don, Jun 4, 2007
  4. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    > SO where are these .dbx files located?

    Start/Search and type in .dbx

    meerkat, Jun 4, 2007
  5. meerkat

    don Guest

    don, Jun 4, 2007
  6. "don" <> wrote in

    > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages
    > from my Outlook Express inbox? They are not in my deleted
    > items box either - this is winXP

    There's a bunch of software (if you Google for it) but
    most is very conditional with a lot of contengencies...

    Best bet is to access the servers via the web access, &
    pull them up from the deleted box as soon as possible,
    *before* they are deleted from the server(s) and then
    you can put them back in the inbox, and then pull
    them up again via OE.

    Alas, it might be too late for that. Without further
    explanation, it's difficult to recommend a particular
    course of action targeted to your specific situation.

    http://www.google.com/search?
    hl=en&q=OE+recover+deleted+mail&btnG=Google+Search

    Or, Google for "OE recover deleted mail".

    --

    My newest company is developing computer chips which
    store and play music for implantation into women's boobs.

    This may resolve complaints from women about men always
    staring at their breasts - but never listening to them!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 4, 2007
  7. meerkat

    Mike Easter Guest

    don wrote:
    > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
    > Outlook Express inbox?

    Probably not, depending on your configuration.

    Look at your config in OE/ Tools/ Options/ Maintenance tab - see if
    Empty messages from the deleted items folder on exit is checked and see
    if Compact messages in the background is checked, along with when to
    compact.

    If a person did not empty messages from the deleted items folder on
    exit, then they would still be in the deleted items and you would just
    enable reading/seeing the items in the deleted folder.

    Naturally most people are going to be configured to empty messages from
    the deleted folder on exit.

    The business of compacting determines whether or not messages which have
    been 'deleted' or emptied are actually *gone* or not. If a folder has
    not been compacted, the deleted/emptied message is still there, it has
    just been rendered invisible and can be recovered by accessing the .dbx
    file's uncompacted contents.

    Most people have some kind of automation which compacts their folders
    periodically. That automation makes the folders subject to corruption
    as described at Tom Koch's site
    http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact OE has a long and troubled
    history with compacting folders.

    Koch also describes how OE doesn't actually delete messages when it
    'deletes' them here http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
    Like most database programs, OE does not actually remove an item from a
    *.dbx file when you delete a message. Instead it merely tags the item
    for removal at a later time,

    Most likely as a result of emptying deleted and compacting in the
    background, your deleted items are not accessible from the .dbx.

    On this page Koch gives a list of tools for extracting files from .dbx
    files http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm Macallan Outlook
    Express Extraction - DBXtract

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 4, 2007
  8. meerkat

    BMcA Guest

    Try here and see if you see the deleted dbx files

    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME \Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{B2356F7F-1049-4990-8EE7-D46FC5D81B5F}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express

    BMcA, Jun 4, 2007
  9. meerkat

    PeeCee Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my Outlook
    > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is winXP

    Don

    First OE keeps email messages in .dbx files.
    A others have pointed out you can find the location of the .dbx 'Store
    Folder' by opening OE and going: Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store folder
    button.

    OE handles deleted emails like this:

    When you delete it from the Inbox.dbx (or Sent or Draft etc .dbx) file it is
    copied to the Deleted.dbx and then marked as deleted in the Inbox.dbx.

    If you have OE set to auto empty the Deleted folder on exit, then OE will
    mark the messages in the Deleted.dbx file as deleted when it exits.

    At this point although you can not see the messages they are still there in
    their .dbx files.
    If OE has not 'Compacted' your .dbx files then DBXtract or DB Express will
    read the .dbx file and Extract all the messages irrespective of their
    'deleted' status into a folder as individual .eml files.

    However if you have 'Compaction' turned on or manually do a Compaction, OE
    will go through each .dbx file in turn and remove the messages that have
    been marked as 'deleted'.
    It does this by shuffling the next message up over the top of each deleted
    message.
    This process completely removes your message, gone, done, full stop, good
    night nurse.

    Depressing isn't it.
    Fortunately there is one other possible way you 'might' rescue your
    uncompacted .dbx files.
    In the later updates that Microsoft issued for OE was the facility to backup
    ..dbx files to the Recycle bin 'before' doing the Compaction.
    Have a look in your recycle bin for .dbx files.

    If they are there:
    Move your current .dbx files out of the way.
    Restore the .dbx files from the Recycle bin.
    Move the restored .dbx files to a temp folder and return your current .dbx
    files.
    Now get a copy of DBXtract or DBExpress and go into your temp folder and
    extract the emails from your recovered .dbx files.

    I have also noticed OE will 'undelete' messages when you import messages
    from another OE .dbx folder using it's 'import' function.
    I haven't seen any documentation on this, but when I've moved emails to new
    PC's the owners often comment there are emails there that had been deleted
    years ago.
    I would think using Compaction ' on these old .dbx first would be a no no
    though.

    Best Luck
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 4, 2007
  10. meerkat

    Vanguard Guest

    "don" wrote in message news:f41a5j$p8o$...

    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >
    >> "don" wrote ...
    >> > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
    >> > Outlook
    >> > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this
    >> > is
    >> > winXP

    >> If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
    >> purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
    >> not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to
    >> yank
    >> out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If
    >> the
    >> folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups.
    >> If
    >> you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

    > SO where are these .dbx files located?

    Obviously you haven't bothered to try the mentioned utilities as
    evidence by your question. You can't do anything by yourself to extract
    the delete-marked items from them. Go try the software unless you found
    some other solution you like better.

    Also, Microsoft has a huge support knowledgebase at
    http://support.microsoft.com where you can find lots of articles. If
    you pick Outlook Express and search on "backup" then an article will
    probably get found on how to migrate those files which means it will
    tell you where they are which is different based on the version of
    Windows that you are using but not mentioned.

    Vanguard, Jun 5, 2007
  11. meerkat

    don Guest

    Thanks for all this wonderful info..... it saved my life

    don, Jun 5, 2007